Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breathing problems

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unhappy Breathing problems

I was wondering about breathing problems; the last 4 months have been very hard for me. I can't breathe without coughing. My doc has been treating it as usual. But I was thinking that this time it's worse. I can't even climb the stairs without stopping to rest. My fatigue levels are way up. I'm probably not getting much oxygen. I think she is going to send me to a pulmenologist (sp?). This doesnot feel like my usual long term bronchitis. The cough also isn't helping with the bad tummy - also threw up several times. This is not fun.

Does anyone else have anything like this?

Thanks

Nonna I know when my asthma is playing up, or I have a cold I also have a frequent upset tummy. I put it down to the possibility that I may be swallowing some phlegm. How has your peak flow been? I suppose your doctor has been taking some regular measurements
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

Hi Nonna, I'm sorry you feel so ill today. Here are the reasons I get cough spells thus far. Asthma of course, inflammation, and lately the meds they give me to treat me, repress my lungs and then I cough until I almost throw up. When I use my inhaler it quiets down. I hope the doc can figure it out as it is exhausting for you I am sure!

Thanks

Be very careful when you have a constant chronic cough. I coughed so much that I actually broke one of my ribs in 2009. AND this is with a bone density of two standard deviations higher than the top level for a woman at the age of 25, and I am 48. I wasn't coughing violently which can cause a break in a rib, it was the constant coughing that weakened the rib apparently. So even though you may have a high bone density you can still break a rib from constant coughing. Also, you must remember not to take any codeine as it works as a cough suppressant, and when you have asthma, you need to cough up the phlegm, otherwise you risk getting pneumonia.

Summary:
    You need to cough when you have asthma so you don't get pneumonia
    But if you do cough to avoid pneumonia, you risk breaking a rib.

Conclusion:
    Spin your head around a few times and pray a bit, you need to get those horrible things out of your life!

Oh that spinning head comment is for the other thread, about headaches - I think. Anyway, I hope you get what I am saying. Sometimes you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't ... so do whatever you think is best
    Last edited by Linda From Australia; 06-18-2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: I got confused with what thread I was replying to .... crazy Aussie woman ...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

Corella (06-21-2011), Gizmo (06-18-2011)

Thanks

Oh my gosh! I have a high bone density and broke my rib 5 years ago from bronchitis. Hope you feel better soon. Yes the head spinning was from another thread. Lol Linda you are a crackup!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

i love your humour linda.

noona, i hope you can rest between the coughs.

Thanks

I love the way you actually spell humour Steve, good boy, I will give you an A+

Thanks

Oh our linda is full of wit today...get ready everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nonna View Post
    I was wondering about breathing problems; the last 4 months have been very hard for me. I can't breathe without coughing. My doc has been treating it as usual. But I was thinking that this time it's worse. I can't even climb the stairs without stopping to rest. My fatigue levels are way up. I'm probably not getting much oxygen. I think she is going to send me to a pulmenologist (sp?). This doesnot feel like my usual long term bronchitis. The cough also isn't helping with the bad tummy - also threw up several times. This is not fun.

Does anyone else have anything like this?
    Hi Nonna,

I've got bronchitis like yourself and i smoke 15 fags a day and the Lupus since it's progressed as caused me swelling in the back of my lungs and like yourself the coughing episodes are of a morning and while in bed.

I went to the doctor's a month and half ago to be tested for OCPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and another but she did'nt mention the name, i got through the first test and on the 2nd failed, she said my lung capacity is'nt strong enough and as given me another new inhaler but steriod based to help my lungs.

I can't say 100% mate as you know but just check that the Lupus is'nt interfering with you also and causing this.

Nonna i'll add a link below refering to lung diseases and read through them and see if any seem like what your going through, as it's terrible enough with the pain we go through without the breathing ontop mate.

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/lungdiseases.html

((Hugs Terri)) xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 06-18-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you all for your support. Linda I'd laugh my head off if I could. Your Humor today has been beyond outstanding - Thank you for being you