Thread: Posting information

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Default Posting information

Hi Everyone,

I have a favor to ask each of you that post information you find on the internet here. Anytime you find information you want to share with WHL, will you please paste a link to where you found it? Not only is it helpful in case someone wants to read more about it, but there could also be legal issues if we don't give credit to the site where we took the information from. I am NOT asking anyone to not post information here, because that is one of the things that make this place so wonderful. I am simply asking that you copy the link from where you got it at the bottom of the post.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

tgal

Last edited by rob; 06-17-2011 at 09:03 AM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

bunny28 (06-17-2011), Gizmo (06-17-2011), ruziska (06-16-2011)

Thanks

My question about this, lovely Mari, is that I thought we weren't supposed to post links anywhere other than on the links forum. I've been listing the site I got the info from, but have tried not to post the actual link, for that reason.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    My question about this, lovely Mari, is that I thought we weren't supposed to post links anywhere other than on the links forum. I've been listing the site I got the info from, but have tried not to post the actual link, for that reason.
    I can see why there is confusion so I will try to explain.

There is a HUGE difference between information and spam. You are not allowed to come in here and spam for other places "Click here to go to the best poker site in the world" or "we found the cure for lupus- click here". You ARE allowed to give information pertaining to the thread and we have never stopped anyone from doing that. If we are in a thread talking about discoid lupus and you found a site that gave great information about discoid lupus and copy and pasted DIRECTLY FROM THE SITE we have either link to it or, as you did, give credit to the site where the information came from.

As far as the links section goes, let's say that you are running around the internet and find this wonderful site about Lupus and hair loss. You really want to share it with us then you need to post that in the Links section. We need a place where people can go look for all the things that we have found out there.

Great call Gizmo. The way you are doing it works perfectly! We just need to make sure that we are referencing the site things come from if we are sharing information that is comiing directly from them
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Excellent question Gizmo,

Tgal is correct-you are free to post links in any thread you like that pertain directly to the subject of the thread/conversation.

To clarify, an example would be my response to a thread yesterday asking about a good source for SPF rated outdoor clothing. In that thread, I posted a commercial link for the outdoor store L.L. Bean. Other people posted links to similar companies. This is perfectly OK to do here.

Where it would be wrong, and against WHL rules, would be if I was a brand new member who just dropped into some random thread here, and posted a commercial link that had absolutely nothing to do with the subject, conversation, or topic of the thread.

Once a new member has 5 or more posts here that are on topic, and obviously pertain to Lupus in some way, we generally regard them as a legitimate member, and not a person who's here to simply spam our forum with advertisements, or some form of self promotion. After this, we generally leave it up to you guys to post pertinent links to reputable websites, be it an outdoor clothing store, another helpful Lupus website, or even a Youtube music video, like in the "Music and Life" thread.

As long as the links are pertinent, helpful, and do not contain any lewd/objectionable content, you are free to post them.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Last edited by rob; 06-17-2011 at 09:27 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

steve.b (06-17-2011), tgal (06-17-2011)