Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPF Clothing

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default SPF Clothing

As Montana finally realizes that winter is over (took it long enough), I'm encountering the issue of suitable attire. Finding clothing that covers up, yet doesn't suffocate has been difficult to put it mildly. We have 2 stores that sell so called SPF clothing but the styles are extremely limited and the prices outrageous! Yes, I've looked online where I've found more choices yet face the same $ problem.
    It also makes me question how well does SPF clothing work? Is it worth the price? What proof is there that the SPF stuff is even in the clothing in the first place?? Advertising can say just about anything it wants. There's rarely truth in advertising anymore. So how do we know we are getting what we are paying for? Is SPF clothing any better than just wearing long sleeve shirts and long pants? I've considered getting a sheet and cutting 2 holes for eyes just like on Charlie Brown for Halloween (just kidding?) Would spritzing a long sleeved shirt with non oily sunscreen work just as well?
    I don't intend to stay inside. Montana summers are too short not to enjoy every moment possible. I have sunscreen. I'm well stocked up on that. I did buy a really cool SPF 50+ hat yesterday and will wear it even though I don't like hats. I can't afford the SPF clothing and hope it goes on sale at the end of season when I'll buy it then. I continue my quest for suitable and affordable clothing.
    Your thoughts?
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Hi Rita,

Mari's just brought quite a few for her holiday but where from i've not got a clue it's worth asking her, it's summer here i only go outside for the odd fag and i'm soon back in and this may sound soft but i'm having to wear thermal long sleeve vests.
    If i go outside the sun and heat crucifi's me and when i go in doors because it's darker my body picks up on that and i go cold off the Raynauds.

Ah it one terrific life but i hope you find something at least to suite you. xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 06-15-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks

Rit Sunguard: https://sunguardsunprotection.com/?ccUser=

It is a powder that you add to your wash cycle in the laundry that gives you 30 SPF protection for up to about 20 washings. It runs about $3 per load (the price varies by website, and it's cheaper to buy a tub than individual boxes if you run alot of laundry). I separate out my clothes every couple months and run them through - which reminds me that I need to order some. You still have to wear long sleeves and pants, but you can at least choose lighter weight stuff.

I have several sun shirts and sun pants. There are advantages, if you can afford even one of each. Solumbra is the best for being cool, comfortable and stylish - but it is way expensive. You should be able to write it off as a medical expense, or maybe even use a flexpay account if your doc will write an prescription. The sun protective clothing does seem to be more effective than the Sunguard for me. Also, the protective qualities are in the fabric itself, so the SPF doesn't drop as you wash them. Some are as high as 50 SPF. The clothing is designed to be cool, some even have hidden mesh vents. I had a pair of white Solumbra athletic pants with zippered side mesh and they were cooler than shorts. I wore them out! The weight of the fabric varies a lot, I have found. For me, only the lightest weight garments are worth the money. Some golf shops and athletic stores carry sun protective clothing now. I have found a few pieces on the sale rack.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (06-15-2011), Peridot20_Gem (06-15-2011), steve.b (06-16-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I get all of my spf rated outdoor clothing and other gear from L.L. Bean. Shipping is free, they have an awesome no hassle guarantee, and they test all of the products they carry. I buy everything from the retail store as it's just down the road, and the service is outstanding, so I have to imagine that their mail order service is just as good. Here's a link-

www.llbean.com
    Last edited by rob; 06-15-2011 at 09:05 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (06-15-2011), lovedbyHim (06-15-2011), steve.b (06-16-2011)

Thanks

One last comment, then I'll shut up on this topic:
    Love my Solumbra umbrella - it really cuts the heat, as well as the sun and it has lasted 10 years
    Love my sun gloves, with open fingers. Forgot to wear them driving to drop my daughter off at her grandparents, 300 miles away, and my hands are still complaining.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Academy has two brands Colombian (kind of expensive) and a less expensive brand called magellan
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (06-15-2011), Peridot20_Gem (06-15-2011), steve.b (06-16-2011)

Thanks

Thanks so much everyone. I am learning so much! I hope to feel better with each new thing I try. I had no idea there was something you could put in the wash. I love it!

Thanks

I got some on sale end of winter (long sleeve) and really dressy for work (Rolly Robins, I think). Long sleeve shirt and a skirt of all things. I also have a couple of sporty shirts. I am still trying them out but so far love them. I have been sensitive to the sun for about 10 years and this is my first year with any |UPF clothing so yes, sunscreen and covering up can be done but for a change, not having to slap it on every 2hours is really nice.

Thanks

When I traveled to Greece last summer, I bought one of those SPF 30 hats from REI, and used it constantly.
    I also bought some packages of Sunguard that Gizmo mentioned. I washed everything that we were packing in it.
    I bought some Aveeno sunscreen for all of us (Hubby, Daughter and Son-in-law too). Since I hate sunscreen in my eyes, I used an SPF 15 moisturizer, covered with a 15 SPF foundation from Estee Lauder, and topped with a powder sunscreen from Bare Essentials.
    I spent two weeks in the Greek sun, and the only place that burned was right at the top of my sock, which had slipped down.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I went on line and checked all these out. As money is so tight I will purchase the powder to wash my clothes in. Thanks again for your wisdom.