Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello :)

Thanks

Default Hello :)

Hi all, my name is Wendy, Not sure that I'm ready to face the reality of what has been going on. So I may just sit back and read this site and take things in for awhile. I'm still not even sure I completely know what is going on..About a yr ago, I started having pain in my hands, in October I was diagnosed with arthritis, the Dr wasn't sure what kind, In January the pain changed and went into my elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, and my feet, I started to take ibuprofen way more than was wise so that I could deal with the pain. In February, I went back to the hand Dr and told him that something was wrong and that the arthritis was spreading, he didn't believe me, so he ordered blood work to test for exotic types of arthritis, I went back in March to get the results, as he's going through the results he's saying that this is good and that is good, ahhh but this, the DNA DS ANTIGEN, that is positive, and that is bad. And then told me to come back in 3 months. So I made an appt with a Rhematologist had to wait almost 3 months to be seen, he walks in found out I was moving and was very short, He said without doing lots more test that he wouldn't diagnose me with lupus, but in his opinion I was in the beginning stages and that in 5-10 yrs it will be full blown and that I needed to go home get on the internet and see what I have coming, and that it will either be kidney failure or lung failure that gets me. So I as of yet am still unsure what the reality is. Thanks for listening.

Thanks

Welcome to WHL =) So let me get this straight? Your doctor said you are in the beginning stages, but wont say you have it? Is he retarded? Clearly if you are in what he would consider the beginning stages of a disease and basically told you he's not going to help you until your organs start messing up you need another doctor. If you really have lupus and it is not going rampant anywhere other than your joints and such now starting you on basic medications to treat it can PREVENT those things from happening. Go to see another rheumatologist this guy sounds like a quack.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ritzbit For This Useful Post:

steve.b (06-15-2011), wendylee03 (06-14-2011)

Thanks

Okay, first of all...that doctor was a JERK! With proper medication and follow-up many people with lupus live very long and full lives. I was worried when I first heard that I might be heading towards a lupus diagnosis and though I was warned by my doctor not to search the internet I did. The truth is there are still some mistruths out there. You need reliable facts. Try looking at your country, state or provinces Lupus association or rheumatoid arthritis websites for up to date information. I would also recommend trying to get a second opinion...and/or asking your GP to do some more blood tests.

I was diagnosed this Winter but if I look back at symptoms have likely had lupus for about 10 years. I have no kidney or lung involvement. I am just saying that to let you know that doesn't always happen.

I do think you need to find out if this is what you have as you may need to be on preventative medication. Once upon a time, doctors treated (and some still do apparently) lupus patients on a symptom by symptom basis, letting you fall into a crisis and then trying to make things better. Current thought is to prevent the crisis in the first place.

Many lupus patients live full and active lives...Others deal with more complications but the truth is it affects everybody differently. Not even the doctors can fully predict how it will affect you. A diagnosis of lupus is not a death sentence...it may be a kick in the pants....but there is so much more you need to learn about.

You said you are moving...try to get your GP to refer you to a rheumy in the next town or when you go to get a new doctor, tell them that you had just seen a rheumy but that they didn't do extra tests since you were moving and ask to be referred by them to a local one. Keep pushing. Unfortunately with lupus, we often have to be our own advocates.

In the meantime, take care of yourself. Try to reduce stress, eat well, exercise (moderately) when you feel up to it, reduce your sun exposure...just in case of a lupus diagnosis but also because these are good living practices for all of us.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunny28 For This Useful Post:

steve.b (06-15-2011), wendylee03 (06-14-2011)

Thanks

Thank you guys for responding, I'm going to take your advice and find another Dr when I get to Georgia. It has been very hard trying to understand it all, about 3 weeks ago I started becoming very nauseous and can't eat anything at all, that usually last a couple days then afterward every joint in my body hurts, I don't know if it's related, I've never had problems like this before. I've already had pleurisy and a chest infection, and I get kidney infections quite often, I always thought it was normal! And stress I have realized is really bad for me, It's hard not to when you have 3 children! Anyway, I really appreciate the advice and feel better about things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wendylee03 View Post
    Thank you guys for responding, I'm going to take your advice and find another Dr when I get to Georgia. It has been very hard trying to understand it all, about 3 weeks ago I started becoming very nauseous and can't eat anything at all, that usually last a couple days then afterward every joint in my body hurts, I don't know if it's related, I've never had problems like this before. I've already had pleurisy and a chest infection, and I get kidney infections quite often, I always thought it was normal! And stress I have realized is really bad for me, It's hard not to when you have 3 children! Anyway, I really appreciate the advice and feel better about things.

I know I almost made a joke when I said :reduce stress: as that is easier said than done.

Ask them to do more blood tests, they can tell many things from antibody tests but even still you have to have a certain number of symptoms on a list too. It is apparently very hard to diagnose people with lupus. That being said, my diagnosis made me feel better in that I had an explanation for so many seemingly unrelated issues I had over the years.

Please take care...and know that I have been there. I was so scared by some of the first information I received...and since then have been so reassured by so many more people with lupus. How I explain it to those around me is like this. LUpus can have some scary complications but once diagnosed with a team of doctors to monitor you, with proper medication and education, things are a lot less scary. My symptoms are relatively "mild" compared to some ( in that I usually classify them as annoying rather than truly dangerous on their own), I have not be hospitalized from anything directly related to my lupus yet, so I know there are those who live a different lupus reality each day...But I have also "met" others like me. Until you talk to a reliable source (doctor), try to relax and just take things one step at a time.

Thanks

How long will it be until you get to Georgia? Can you try to track down a good rheumy on the internet and make an appointment now, so you don't have to wait as long once you get there? The rheumy you saw is disgraceful and probably shouldn't be practicing. He must not keep current or he would know that lupus is highly treatable, just not curable.

I have only been on this site for about a month, but I have grown to really care about the people here because they care so much about others. It is a very safe place to get information and support, whether you actually get a lupus diagnosis or not. The only downside is that you will tend to meet people whose lives have been majorly impacted by lupus. The folks whose lupus is under good control don't seem to hang out here much - probably because they don't need the support or they feel like they aren't "sick enough" to chime in. My point is that you can't assume that you will have the same complications that others here do. With the right medications, you may only have to make minor changes to keep your disease under control.

Thanks

Wendy,
    Welcome to WHL. That doctor was really a jerk. Unfortunately, there are way too many of them out there. You've been given some really great advice.
    I'm not sure where you are going in Georgia, but we have a couple of ladies here that live in or near Atlanta. As I remember, I think that they both go to a great rheumy there.
    Try sending a PM to Nonna, or start a new thread with Atlanta, GA in the header. That should get Nonna to answer.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do believe we are all agreeing that your so called dr is an idiot! I too was initially diagnosed with arthritis. The doc listened to my symptoms and said "well if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck" I kid you not. In the beginning, I will say my symptoms totally followed RA. However, time went on, other symptoms appeared, blood tests finally done and NOPE, not arthritis! That meant either I was a hypochondriac or it was something else and that something else turned out to be lupus. Go to Georgia and find a real doctor. In the meantime, keep a diary of your symptoms. A detailed diary. Pain, level of pain, location, what you were doing when you were in pain, did you take anything, what was the weather doing, what did you eat. I'm serious! The more details you have, the easier it will be to solve your puzzle and help the doctor help you! Your diary is your evidence. Also while you are waiting, keep coming to this forum. Great group of amazing people here and lots of useful information and support.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

steve.b (06-15-2011)

Thanks

Hi Wendy, welcome to our wonderful family. I hope you stick around awhile(smile). Wow your doc scares me. I would definitely get a new rheumy. Meds are vital to quiet the AI system from attacking us. Why did he frighten the crap out of you and leave you to fend for yourself? I have had 4 rheumys in 5 yrs because of inadequacies. I finally have a decent one but I travel 2 hrs to get to her. Bless you in your journey. Hope you stick around as this group is awesome!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,108 Posts

hi wendy and welcome.
    please read a few of the other posts.
    there is good advice from other sufferers.

we are not doctors, but we all suffer from the same problem, our auto immune system is not working normally.

find a good rhuemy in georgia and book a visit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

wendylee03 (06-15-2011)