Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vitamin D deficiency?

Thanks

Default vitamin D deficiency?

Please can anyone tell me why so many people with AI diseases have vitamin D deficiency? I am on 50,000 iu every 10 days and still it is getting low again. I'm in the sun all day as I drive to visit my clients. This can not be helping my muscle spasms.

Thanks

??????????????
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Yes. Most of us do have issues with vitamin d loss. What concerns me more is your comment about being in the sun all day. No wonder you feel so bad! So you cover up in sunscreen before getting in the car? To you wear Uv protective clothing (inexpensive at academy) and a hat? I do this most of the time even in the car because I will feel horrible if I don't. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it will keep you feeling better
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (06-14-2011)

Thanks

Tammy i think this info may help in why we get it more.

Overview
    As of 2011, more than 50 percent of the population is at risk of vitamin D deficiency, according to the Vitamin D Council. Dr. Michael F. Holick, a vitamin D expert, estimates that deficiency of this important nutrient is the most common medical condition in the world. While everyone is at risk of developing this condition, people with chronic disorders such as lupus have been shown to have more frequent occurrences. If you have lupus or suspect a vitamin D deficiency, consult with a health care professional.

What is Lupus?
    Lupus, or systemic lupus erythematosus, is a chronic autoimmune disorder that affects the natural immune response of your body. Imagine soldiers of a country attacking their own troops, thinking they were invaders. This is what happens in lupus and other autoimmune disorders. The immune response is misdirected to your body's own cells and tissues, injuring and destroying them in the process.

Vitamin D Lamps Home UVB for Vitamin D synthesis. Increase your Vitamin D levels.

Lupus and Chronic Inflammation
    Lupus can cause chronic inflammation of numerous parts and systems of the body. Skin, joints, kidneys and any other organ may be subject to chronic inflammation caused by lupus. Vitamin D deficiency has been increasingly noted in patients suffering with lupus.

Vitamin D Deficiency and Lupus
    Clinical studies have suggested that chronic usage of steroidal medications could lead to an alteration in the metabolism of vitamin D. Patients who suffer from lupus can have chronic inflammation, which can lead to dysfunction and disruption of active vitamin D production. Also, hydroxychloroquine, a common prescription medication that lupus patients consume, can decrease the conversion of vitamin D2 to its more active form, vitamin D3. Corticosteroids, an additional form of treatment, lead to vitamin D deficiency due to altered metabolism caused by the steroids in the medication.

Vitamin D for Lupus Patients
    Vitamin D deficiencies can lead to a lot of issues like weak and fragile bones, increased incidence of fractures, softening of bones and low levels of blood calcium in patients with lupus. Vitamin D supplements are necessary in such patients; however, dosages must be managed carefully. Many lupus patients have been observed to react with hypercalcemia if given vitamin D supplements without careful monitoring and adjustments.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (06-15-2011), lovedbyHim (06-14-2011), magistramarla (06-14-2011)

Thanks

Hi Mari, yes but on a real sunny day, I get very sick. I feel like I have the flu and fight falling asleep at the wheel. It's been hard on me, but have no choice presently. Thanks dear.

Thanks

Thanks Terry you queen of resources!! I just luv ya!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (06-14-2011)

Thanks

Terri,
    That was a very informative bit of research.
    I've been taking a D3 supplement for years, and my D level was always good. About one year after I started taking Plaquenil, it plummeted. I did the 50,000 units per day for three months until it came back up. Since I can't tolerate steroidal medications, Plaquenil must be the culprit.
    Tammy,
    Be careful out there driving in the sun. Wear lots of sunscreen.
    Hugs,
    Marla

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (06-14-2011), Peridot20_Gem (06-14-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think it also has to do with sun/diet sensativity. The sun is our greatest source of vitamin D. If you are sun sensative and avoid going out in the sun you are cutting down your vitamin D intake. Add to that the fact that an additional source of vitamin D is in foods such as milk and nice green leafy veggies which many people do not take the time to consume daily (guilty!) and you are further decreasing your vitamin D exposure. Also, if you are like me and can't consume milk you are losing yet another vitamin D source.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    Thanks Terry you queen of resources!! I just luv ya!
    Hi Tammy,

Everyone needs vitamin D mate but people with strong A1 Diseases who sit in the sun there immune system won't allow them to take it in like other people, so the system starts fighting itself and the next thing you know a Rash/Flare and then your suffering until it wares off with cream or tablet form.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 06-14-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Terri,
    That was a very informative bit of research.
    I've been taking a D3 supplement for years, and my D level was always good. About one year after I started taking Plaquenil, it plummeted. I did the 50,000 units per day for three months until it came back up. Since I can't tolerate steroidal medications, Plaquenil must be the culprit.
    Tammy,
    Be careful out there driving in the sun. Wear lots of sunscreen.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Thanks Marla,

Plaquenil helped me last time it kicked in on my skin and clearing up the rashes but i'm banned from the sun anyway besides the shade, as i've had strict orders off my Dermo mate, so absorbing vitamin D means nothing to me now anyway and if i get the Vitamin D deficiency well it's only another thing added to the list.lol I've got to laugh sometimes marla as it never ends. xxxx