Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Siezures

Thanks

Thanks for letting me know Steve I can stop worrying now. Love M.x.

Thanks

Hi All
    My dad went down for surgery today as he has cancer and they were removing his kidney and tumour he's 72 so its a big operation for him to go through I had the same surgery myself but I was 23yrs old when I had mine so waiting patiently for my sister to phone me as she is in the hospital just now to see how he is I wanted to go in myself but Alan had 2 really bad seizures today so I can't leave him on his own as this is now 4 seizures this week alone.God I hate this disease I hate cancer and I hate that all the people I love most in the world are suffering and I can't do a thing to help them why is life so bloody cruel? Sorry rant over M.x.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaryS42 View Post
    Hi All
    My dad went down for surgery today as he has cancer and they were removing his kidney and tumour he's 72 so its a big operation for him to go through I had the same surgery myself but I was 23yrs old when I had mine so waiting patiently for my sister to phone me as she is in the hospital just now to see how he is I wanted to go in myself but Alan had 2 really bad seizures today so I can't leave him on his own as this is now 4 seizures this week alone.God I hate this disease I hate cancer and I hate that all the people I love most in the world are suffering and I can't do a thing to help them why is life so bloody cruel? Sorry rant over M.x.
    I am so sorry for what you are having to go through. Sometimes it just seems like when you get the handle on one thing 4 others replace it! Sorry about the seizures and the cancer. Remember to take care of yourself because you are not help to anything if you fall apart
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (08-06-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

( ( ( h u g s ) ) )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (08-06-2011)

Thanks

Hi All just a quick update Alan hasn't had any more seizures since the 2 on Friday just a few tremors.My dad made it through his surgery however he had 2 heart attacks yesterday so its not looking good for him right now.Hope everyone is keeping well.
    Take Care M.x.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MaryS42 For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-07-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

thinking of you all

10. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (08-07-2011)

Thanks

Oh Mary I am so glad that the seizures have slowed. They take such a toll on the body and the mind. I also know how hard it is to watch that happening to someone you love.

I am glad your dad made it through surgery. That is a difficult one to have. Were the heart attacks before or after the surgery? What are you doing about taking care of yourself? Please be careful not to cause yourself harm. Please take advantage of this time that they are in the hospital to take care of Mary. Once the men in your life leave there it will be all on you. Let the nurses handle things and take naps, take a break or whatever you did to do for yourself. Doing that will allow you to be at your best when everyone comes home

Keep us posted please
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (08-07-2011), steve.b (08-07-2011)

Thanks

thanks Mhari my dad had his heart attacks after the surgery and Alan is at home just now refusing to let me phone an ambulance he has literally just had a horriffic seizure but begged me not to phone an ambulance I am stressed beyond belief just now as I don't know what to do for the best.I understand that Alan doesn't want to be back in hospital but all this is taking its toll on me and my daughter is only 9yrs old she looks horrified when he's having a seizure they are so violent. I feel so alone having to deal with all of this on my own it feels like no-one cares and I know people(friends and family) have their own lives to get on with so you don't like asking them to help out also Alan doesn't like anyone else but me taking care of him.
    Sorry have gone into a rant again Luv M.x.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaryS42 View Post
    thanks Mhari my dad had his heart attacks after the surgery and Alan is at home just now refusing to let me phone an ambulance he has literally just had a horriffic seizure but begged me not to phone an ambulance I am stressed beyond belief just now as I don't know what to do for the best.I understand that Alan doesn't want to be back in hospital but all this is taking its toll on me and my daughter is only 9yrs old she looks horrified when he's having a seizure they are so violent. I feel so alone having to deal with all of this on my own it feels like no-one cares and I know people(friends and family) have their own lives to get on with so you don't like asking them to help out also Alan doesn't like anyone else but me taking care of him
    Sorry have gone into a rant again Luv M.x.
    I know this is going to be very hard to hear but there really isn't any need to be in the hospital for seizures once they have been diagnosed and the patient has meds. I learned this on one of my trips to the ER to have blood work to prove to SS that I was taking my meds. The doctor looked at me and said "You had a seizure? I said, "yes Sir". He said, "do you have a history of seizures?" I replied "Yes Sir". He then looked at me and said "The why are you here? There is no reason for a diagnosed seizure patient to come to the hospital. Nothing we can do that can't be done at home". Sadly it is a true statement. All that needs to be done is to make sure that the patient doesn't hurt themselves. It will pass and the patient will usually be really sore and kind of fuzzy headed but all that can be done after is allowing the patient time to rest. You may need to sit your daughter down and explain what is going on and what she needs to do when/if she is there when he he seizes with her around (Please never do the spoon in the mouth thing. That can cause more harm then good.) I am posting a link here that may help.

What to do if you witness someone having a seizures.

I am really sorry about your dad. I hope everything gets better with both of the men in your life. I will keep thinking about all of you
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (08-07-2011), steve.b (08-07-2011)

Thanks

Thanks once again Mhari the problem we have is neurologists didn't see Alan in a full blown seizure all she seen was him shaking (looked like he had Parkinsons disease) she said it was non-epileptic attacks due to stress!!!! He got dis-charged from hospital with that as a diagnosis and no drugs to treat further attacks they gave him epilepsy drugs while he was in hospital and gave us nothing to go home with they said get him a psycologist to discuss his stress over with but Alan has been seeing one of the top psycologists in Scotland now for over a year to help him come to terms with everything thats happened to him since his accident.So where do we go from here?I'm at a loss I really am . Luv M.x.