Thread: hyperhidrosis and clusters???

Thanks

Default hyperhidrosis and clusters???

Hi, does anyone know of a link between hyperhidrosis ( excessive sweating ) and cluster headaches???? :twisted:

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here is what I've been able to find out:
    Hyperhidrosis is sweating more than would be expected in the temperature of the environment. This condition is characterized by constitutional hyperactivity of the eccrine sweat glands. The disorder may be generalized, consisting of excessive body sweating, or localized, with sweating confined to the palms, soles, armpits, groin, and under the breasts. Hyperhidrosis is not a temporary condition, and most people have suffered with it since childhood. The exact cause is unknown; however, 4 out of 10 patients also have relatives with the problem. The reason patients experience symptoms relates to increased activity of certain nerves and stressful situations such as job interviews, special occasions, or test taking can aggravate the sweating.Although nobody understands the exact cause of this excessive sweating in specific individuals, it is known that the sweating is controlled by the sympathetic nervous system.
    Migraine attacks commonly activate the sympathetic nervous system in the body. The sympathetic nervous system is often thought of as the part of the nervous system that controls primitive responses to stress and pain, the so-called "fight or flight" response. The increased sympathetic nervous activity in the intestine causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Sympathetic activity also delays emptying of the stomach into the small intestine and thereby prevents oral medications from entering the intestine and being absorbed. The impaired absorption of oral medications is a common reason for the ineffectiveness of medications taken to treat migraine headaches. The increased sympathetic activity also decreases the circulation of blood, and this leads to pallor of the skin as well as cold hands and feet and can cause or aggravate hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). The increased sympathetic activity also contributes to the sensitivity to light and sound sensitivity as well as blurred vision.
    So, I guess that the answer to your question would be "yes" - there appears to be a relationship cluster migraines and hyperhidrosis ops:
    I hope this has been helpful to you!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default hyperhidrosis and clusters

Sorry my fault, i didnt phrase that question very well! What I actually meant was is there a link between these and lupus???
    I have been diagnosed with both for years and am waiting for the other diagnosis.
    Hope thats a bit clearer sorry ops:

Thanks

HI Andrea,

I am happy to find you here - I was diagnosed with Cluster Headaches in 2004 after suffering in constant and as we know - the WORST pain possible on the face (no pun ) of the earth. Of course, that was after I was told it was sinusitus like 10 times.

Only recently was I diagnosed with Lupus - do I think the two are related? Yep - so does my rheumy and my neuro. Its when my symptoms began and my health hasnt been the same since!

I havent been able to find much on the topic, but if I do, I will send your way!

Chal
    Chal

Thanks