Thread: Doctor didnt take me seriously...

Thanks

Default Doctor didnt take me seriously...

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this interesting note with you, even as this is only like my 3rd post!

We all know the struggles with getting our symptoms taken seriously - but what do you do, when a licensed doctor basically lies to you about your lab results?

The first Rheumy I saw, (even with the flipping rash on my face, swelling my legs, wrists, rash on my body, mouth and nose ulcers, etc., etc ) after 3 appointments told me my "labs looked fine" and that he was going to send me to see an endocrinologist because thats where my fatigue was probably stemming from.

My vigilant, primary care (thank GOD for her) wouldnt accept this and sent me to another rheumy.

In my first appointment with the new rheumy (after a physical examination -which the 1st one never did- a complete medical history, talking with my neurologist, and primary care- AS WELL AS getting my labs from the 1st rheumy) concluded I have Lupus. AND, told me point blank the 1st rheumy MISLEAD ME to me about my labs - which had nearly all of the clinical signs pointing to a diagnosis of lupus.

Now, after the usual tests with the new rheumy, I maybe facing some serious problems.. and these 2 different dr's appointments were only 2 months apart.

Im not knocking doctors.. but, I want to encourage everyone reading this post that thinks their doctor isnt taking them seriously about their symptoms to definately get a second look. And be vigilant!

Chal
    Chal

Thanks

Default drs

I totally agree! The first rheumatologist I went to in 2001 basically told me my symptoms were all in my head! My PCP sent me to a better rheumatologist with whom I've been working since late 2001. This April I had developed seizures and after tons of tests, she found that I have CNS vasculitis (guess my first doc was literally correct - it WAS all in my head). I do indeed have lupus.

Today I went to my podiatrist for Morton's neuroma and have been going to him for a couple years. He's injected my foot several times a year and it keeps getting worse. He prescribed Procardia which does increase the blood flow to my hands/feet but it also makes me flushed and makes my already bad headaches worse. Hope it gets better, but if not will toss out the Procardia.

You just have to be persistent!
    Catlady4520

Thanks

I agree completely Chal. I have had my own bad experiences. My philosophy is that we live in our bodies and know them better than anyone else, therefore, we are the experts. I also tell people to keep looking until you find a doctor who will really listen and will take you seriously. I'm glad you posted this.

Thanks

Absolutely. You have to find a doc you can trust. I "Fired" my first rheumy, and gave my primary doc an earful about the jerk. You need to find someone who spends the time, listens, review tests with you, etc.

Sounds like you now have one of those. I hope your current issues resolve quickly --

Thanks

I just love the "Doctor Survivor" game...I was just so tired of the BULL they were feeding me...always blaming each other!!! It is all well though...now I have the dream team, and they got me into remission!!!

I litterally do an interview with them and see how they respond to my crazy sence of humor, and my emotional rantings!!! Knowing about my "game" my cardiologist asked me when he got his interview after my open heart surgery while I was in recovery!!! I said...well, I'm alive so you got the job!!!

Do not take it from any doctor...this is your life, and to live your best life, you need all the help you can get!!!
    ~*~Shannon~*~

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks

Love the humor girls - and Shannie - I would love to hear about your "game"! That's great.

Just had to <rant?> post about that.. especially for anyone who is looking for answers or discouraged by their doctors. It was my nice way of saying he was a liar about my labs...
    Chal

Thanks

Definitely agree to be persistent. It took seven years, 2 rheumy's and countless primary drs, and a derm. to get me diagnosed. I've been told I have everything from rosacea to I have no clue (first rheumy really said that and he was supposed to be one of the top in the field) to it's in my head. If I hadn't been persistent I'd be home wallowing in pain right now, not aching at work LOL but tho it hurts it is managable with the meds. Sometimes drs aren't worth the paper their diplomas are printed on.