Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default How long does it take...

For the medication plaquinel to get out of your system? I know it takes about 3-6 months to start working but how long does it take to stop working? Reason I ask is that it is day 2 of me being out of my meds and the pharmacy has not heard back from my doctor yet.... I'm going to have to call them again today... I've been trying to get ahold of them since I first realized I missed my appointment last thrusday and I finally did on Monday and I still haven't gotten a call.... God I hope this doesn't send me into a major flare. I'm going to be pissed if it gets out of my system and I have to start the next three months over because my doctor is an idiot...Though I guess then we'll know the meds are working but it doesnt sound like much fun. Anyways just thought I would ask and hopefully I get ahold of somebody soon.

Thanks

it seems to stop working a lot sooner than it starts working. For me I have always started seeing effects of not taking plaquenil about 11 days after I stop taking it. After three weeks I can go into a serious flare if its in the cards. I got into trouble from the guys on here for stopping my meds... so now I know to be a good girl and take all my meds as I should : )

You should be fine for a few days off the meds, but I would try to get those meds asap! If I stop taking it for a couple of days and start back up I can feel the effects a little down the track, but its not as bad as staying off.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle For This Useful Post:

tgal (06-09-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

contact mari. she has had first hand experience on stopping plaquenil.
    i would sugest sending her a private message.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Steve is absolutely right. I DO have first hand experience. I was an IDIOT and I thought I would SHOW the doctors and take myself off of plaquenil so they could see just how sick I really was (OK, it sounded a lot smarter in my head while fighting or a diagnosis). Plaquenil took about 5 months to really work on me but in less than 2 weeks I was in a major flare. Since that time I have yet to go back to a non flaring stage. Steroid shots every couple of weeks, high doses of steroids daily, new meds... we can't seem to find the combination to get me out of it.

Do whatever you have to do to get the plaquenil. You might could talk to your pharmacy about giving you a few days worth while you (and they) try to get in touch with the doctor. You sound like you have a bit of time but, like giggles said, don't let it go too long!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

SandyR (06-09-2011), steve.b (06-09-2011)

Thanks

I was on plaquenil abit back and it took 5wks to work with my skin but i had to come off it but i'm back on it now and i actually thought i'd be ok just stopping the tablet i had the shakes the next day, so i'd sort it out as soon as you can to get your medication.

In the end to come off it properly and only taking 200mg daily i chipped at the tablet daily and after 8 days i was ok.

Get onto them and don't mess about if you need your meds and all the best. xxx

Thanks

Don't know when I only begin couple days after I was DX and it been over a month and I still have flare's I know it can take up to two months. But I am getting tried of not feeling so good :-(

Thanks

Hi Liz,

I am sorry mate to hear you've seen no satisfaction yet off your flares with the plaquenil but i really hope it kicks in soon to help you, i was only on it 5wks and i could'nt believe the difference it was doing to my skin but all the best mate. xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toradoradi View Post
    For the medication plaquinel to get out of your system? I know it takes about 3-6 months to start working but how long does it take to stop working? Reason I ask is that it is day 2 of me being out of my meds and the pharmacy has not heard back from my doctor yet.... I'm going to have to call them again today... I've been trying to get ahold of them since I first realized I missed my appointment last thrusday and I finally did on Monday and I still haven't gotten a call.... God I hope this doesn't send me into a major flare. I'm going to be pissed if it gets out of my system and I have to start the next three months over because my doctor is an idiot...Though I guess then we'll know the meds are working but it doesnt sound like much fun. Anyways just thought I would ask and hopefully I get ahold of somebody soon.
    Your meds might be part of the March 2011 recall that affected some steriods including Medrol. If you go to the thread Ritzbit started about her Medrol being out you can see the link I posted with the info. I can tell you from experience that abruptly stopping steriods is a big no-no and can make you very sick and can set your body into a flair. If your pharmacy is out of it I would have them call around to other pharmacies to find it. If they are a chain, they should be able to check within their own network. If they can't find it that way you might have to call around and temporarily change the perscription or call around to your doctors and see if they have any samples on hand or to see if the doc that perscriped the plaq can change the script to another med temporarily.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (06-13-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lizbond36 View Post
    Don't know when I only begin couple days after I was DX and it been over a month and I still have flare's I know it can take up to two months. But I am getting tried of not feeling so good :-(
    Actually it can take 5 or 6 months to get fully I'm your system and working
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I actually got my pills today after I called them about it. The pharmacy was out of the pills so they to be ordered in addition to having to call my doctor about getting it refilled. I've only missed two pills so I should be good to go from here! I wouldn't stop taking my meds unless my doctor told me to it just took them forever to get him to get back to them! I'm all set though and have them!!