Thread: New and so many questions

Thanks

Default New and so many questions

I've been recently diagnosed, and been on hydroxychlorquine for 3 months...I've been okay, except everytime I start PMSing, my migraines get so bad, that I have bad memory fog. I've taken imitrex for my migraine, but because of the memory fog my doc wants me on steroids. I honestly believe it has a lot to do with my hormones, cause I've noticed that I get very emotional as well.

So my question to everyone is.....what kind of birth control can one take with Lupus. My d-dimer has been elevated, but I'm not on any blood thinners...I'm in advance osteoporosis also.

Thanks

You'd have to talk to your doctor. I know some people are told not to take it and some people are ok with it. Some think that there is a connection between lupus and hormones so taking birth control is a bad idea according to those people. Im sure it could be based on the person. I take it for acne and my rheumy is ok with it and told me to stay on birth control. Some people dont do well with it though.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suecq86 View Post
    I've been recently diagnosed, and been on hydroxychlorquine for 3 months...I've been okay, except everytime I start PMSing, my migraines get so bad, that I have bad memory fog. I've taken imitrex for my migraine, but because of the memory fog my doc wants me on steroids. I honestly believe it has a lot to do with my hormones, cause I've noticed that I get very emotional as well.

So my question to everyone is.....what kind of birth control can one take with Lupus. My d-dimer has been elevated, but I'm not on any blood thinners...I'm in advance osteoporosis also.
    Hi and welcome to WHL! I can't really answer your question about birth control because I had been spayed (LOL) before I was diagnosed. I can tell you that plaquenil and steroids are the first line meds for Lupus so what your doctor is suggesting is very normal.

I am sure others will be around soon with actually PMS information but I wanted to make sure you were welcomed to our family!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (06-09-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi sue, being a male, i do not have these issues.

but i did want to say hi, and welcome.

Thanks

Hi Sue,
    Welcome to WHL. I can't help you with the birth control question, since I didn't use it. I had five babies in ten years and nursed each one for over two years, so I had very few cycles for 13 years. I didn't start getting many symptoms until a few years after the last one weaned.
    I'm four months into menopause now, and I'm finding that I'm feeling a bit better and sleeping a lot better. Hormones definitely play a part in AI diseases.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Sue,

Welcome to WHL and like tgal said plaquenil and steriods are the best where Lupus is concerned but I've also been steralised like tgal because of seizure's but my neurologist as Autoimmune dieases linked to lupus and she as the coil fitted and recentley i was offered the coil until i told them i'd been done, so it may be worth mentioning.

Terri xxx