Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on how to find relief from medication induced nausea?

Thanks

Default Any ideas on how to find relief from medication induced nausea?

I have recently been put on skelaxin and cymbalta for pain management and spasms. I am Nauseated so much and have bad headaches. I've been at this for weeks. The meds are helpful. My vertebrae will move in groups once it kicks in.

Thanks

For a natural remedy you can try ginger. Health food stores carry it in chewable form (like taffy) or sometimes hard candy. Some brands are pretty strong, so my daughter dissolves the hard candy in hot tea sometimes. My mom used to make my brother tea from the leaves of celery for colic. Just put the celery leaves in hot water and steep. Some people get help with nausea through accupuncture.

I imagine you have tried taking your meds with food, and just before bed so you you hopefully sleep through the worst of the nausea. There are prescription nausea meds. My daughter takes promethazine (Phenergan) and Zophran around the clock to control her chronic nausea. Have you talked to your doctor about the side effects you are having. He/she may have some suggestions or want to try you on a different dose or dosage form.

Nasea and headache - yuk! Hope you find some relief quickly!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-08-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

when my meds make me sick. i take moxolon. in tablet form.

Thanks

1) I eat every 2 hours, and make sure I don't get hungry. I have been told that hunger can make you feel sick
    2) Eating small amounts of frozen yoghurt every now and then helps
    3) Distracting myself, for example, watching a funny movie
    4) Take prescription medication for nausea, but it does make me drowsy

Hopefully you will start to feel better soon
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-08-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I know this is going to sound silly but it really works. I couldn't take meds when I was preggers with my daughter so my doctor told me about this.

Grate a red apple and set it aside until it it begins to turn brown. Once it is brown eat about half of it. If, after about 20 min you are still feeling ill, eat the rest of the apple. It worked for me most of the time!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-08-2011)

Thanks

I've found eating when i have nausea helps the symptoms also plus some water besides helps and that's only drunk when needed.

lovedbyhim, I do hope your able to sort something as there's nothing worse.

Thanks

Thank you all for your ideas!!! I will try them. What a gift you are for me right now!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

tgal (06-05-2011)

Thanks

wow! I feel a lot better. I moved some meds around. I am on 7 prescriptions now. It seems the skelaxin anew cymbalta together made it much worse. I just changed the times I take the one. Today I will get ginger for those moments. Thanks everyone!

Thanks

I've been taking drugs for 25yrs and what you've done by altering them around to suite you and your body is the best thing you can do.

As i've done it myself and i do hope your nausea eases, i have that at times and it is terrible so i know how you feel and a large majority of us.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Good thread!

Every few months I get an IV Medrol (prednisone) infusion to keep the de-myelination effects of MS in check. It makes me nauseous without fail. My neurologist told me to take Benadryl for it, and it actually works well. I take two of the pink coated generic tablets with milk and it does the trick. If you decide to try it, make sure your Dr. gives you the OK first, you don't want any bad interactions with the meds you take.

Somebody mentioned ginger. I've not tried the chewable or candy form, but I've drank gingerale and it's helped.

Rob