Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't let autoimmune disorders stop you...

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default Don't let autoimmune disorders stop you...

Hi Everyone,

My neuro has taken a wait and see approach with my Trigeminal Neuralgia. He started me back on meds for it, and it's been over a month since my last T.N. flare. It's been a while since I've had any serious SLE or MS flare activity as well. As a result, my neuro has now given me the OK to go racing!

So, I will be driving a dragster capable of well over 200mph for the very first time tomorrow. Of course, since I'm a newbie, still learning, and yet to earn my license, I won't being going anywhere near that sort of speed at first. I have a great veteran driver-instructor who's taken me under his wing, and we'll be taking this new adventure slowly, and one careful step at a time. Hopefully I'll have my license by the end of the summer, and then I'll be ready to actually compete at the beginning of next year's racing season.

I will be fulfilling a lifelong dream tomorrow, despite the fact that I have three of the worst autoimmune disorders out there. Don't let Lupus, or whatever combination of A.I. stuff you are dealing with stop you from pursuing your dreams. Just tell SLE to go to hell, and go do what you want to do. If some dreams are no longer possible for whatever practical reason, forget them, find yourself some new ones, and just dive into them. If one path through life is no longer possible, there's always other paths, and sometimes, the new ones we are forced to take can be even better than the original.

I'll be at the track all day tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it went when I get back tomorrow night!

Rob

ETA: Here's my ride
    Click Image For Full Size-

Attachment 3711

Here's what the cockpit looks like, it's a tight fit!

Attachment 3712
    Last edited by rob; 06-03-2011 at 08:24 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (06-03-2011), lovedbyHim (06-05-2011), Nonna (06-04-2011), ruziska (06-03-2011), SandyR (06-03-2011)

Thanks

I'm so excited for you, Rob! How many of us can say we are fulfilling a lifelong dream, whether we're sick or not! My husband will be insanely jealous. Your determination and no nonsense attitude is an inspiration to me, and many others, I'm sure. Have an amazing day. I know I'll be thinking about what it feels like to race.

Thanks

Awesome stuff! Congrats and good luck xx

Thanks

Rob,

That is so exciting. I can't wait to hear how it went. I think I'll find something to do that I think I can't do and just do it, thanks for that encouragement.
    Sue

'Friends are like stars.....You don't always see them, but you know they are there.'

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm still waiting for a pic of you in your space suit. perferably, you will have one with your helmet in hand under your armpit like Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder*wicked grin*
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

You sound even more excited then while you were waiting for delivery! I am so very happy for you! As others have said I will be waiting for pictures and updates when you get back. Enjoy your day of making your dreams come true!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Photo's will be forthcoming Sandy!

Also, I found this short video on Youtube. This is the same kind of car and basic setup as mine, and this gives a pretty good idea of what a full speed run looks like from the driver's seat. The way it works, is you do a burnout to heat up the tires, you then back up into the fresh rubber you just layed down, then you inch forward until the staging lights come on, which tells you that you are right on the starting line, then wait for the green, and go. Once you cross the finish line you deploy the parachute, get on the brakes, and turn off to head back to the pits and prepare for your next run (if you've won, that is).

Last edited by rob; 06-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Good thing that is YOUR dream and not something we all have to do! I got ill just watching that! LOL Glad you have something so awesome to look forward to!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I am so excited for you Rob, but be realistic, pack in those pillows, you will be surprised at how many you can squeeze in that very small cab. I bet you look at You tube all the time and I also imagine your house sounds just like mine. My husband watches remote control cars on You tube all the time and for some reason he has the sound up so loud. That must be similar in your house, the constant buzzing of engines. mmmmm how exciting for the boys, how annoying for the girls.

Please - please - please take care Rob, we will miss you if anything happened. However, if you happened to break a leg - or two, at least you will be chatting to us more. Seriously - have a BLAST.. and get that license!!!
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i can almost feel your excitement.

i know you will have fun.