Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did not want to bring up the "L" or "F" words this week....

Thanks

Default I did not want to bring up the "L" or "F" words this week....

That being Lupus and Flare......but.....

I have to because I am starting to feel really bad this morning.

As some of you know I went to my old/new PCP last week and he started me on Prednisone 10 mg TID for 5 days, then 10 mg BID for 5 days, and lastly 10 mg x 1 a day for 5 days. He will be monitoring me every 2 weeks until I see the rheumetologist and in between pain clinic visits.

I have been taking Pred since Wednesday and I was finally starting to feel a bit less pain but then I started having pain in the top of my belly button. It sort of feels like it is being tugged on by a string from the inside. I had been having burning in my upper legs that was constant but I could deal with it...it also seemed to be going away. But, now it's back times 10. It started earlier this morning at work with mild burning but now it is like a fire in my quadriceps and inner thighs. My hips are hurting really bad along with my knees and now I am having sharp pains on the right side of my abdomen. I have tried to lie down but the pain isn't allowing my legs to be still long enough to fall asleep. Nothing is helping. I have taken my muscle relaxer, a hydrocodone, and took my last prednisone for the day to no avail. The pain seems to be isolated to the lower abdomen and upper legs.

I'm not sure of what I should do. I feel like this may be more than just lupus or fibromyalgia symptoms. I am sure it is not acute appendicitis as I would already be laid out in an OR because that sort of pain would have most certainly sent me to the ER sooner. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing? The pain just seems to getting worse with every hour that passes.

Thoughts?

I know the board should in no way take the place of medical advice...but I am not sure if I should be at the ER right now or what and my doctor decided to pack up and go out of town for memorial day weekend.. Just who in the hell does this guy think he is going on vacation while I'm here in pain? Vacation should not be part of a docs vocabulary. I'm kidding. I am trying my hardest to keep a sense of humor about this mess. If I don't; I'll go mad. *passes out*
    I've learned the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity.

-Gilda Radner

Thanks

Glibby,

I am sorry your feeling so ill, wheather it's refered to the meds i don't know mate but if it's affecting your abdomen just be careful.

If you have appendicitis you can't bring your leg back against you as it double you up furthur.

((Hus to you mate)) xxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Glibby (05-30-2011)

Thanks

Hi Glibby,

I've written all your symptoms down and have been looking and apparentley these symptoms can be caused by either fibromyalgia or hypothyroidism but don't take that for 100% if it gets worse i definitely would'nt wait about i'd attend ER then, to make double sure.

Unless a member answers you who have had these identical symptoms to you and are able to help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-03-2011)

Thanks

If you jump, does the pain get worse in your abdomen? Push on your lower right abdomen and then pull your hand away quickly. Does it hurt more after you pull your hand away? Those are two tests that doctors use for appendicitis. Are you vomiting or nauseated? Do you have even a low grade fever?

When I read your post the first thought that went through my mind was appendicitis. I have a nurse friend whose appendix ruptured before she started running a fever or anything. An ovarian cyst is another thought I had. Any chance you might be pregnant - tubal pregnancies can be very painful. There are a lot of things that can cause abdominal/pelvic pain and an ultrasound is probably the first thing they would do in the ER.

Your doctor should have someone taking call for him - if the office uses electronic medical records, that doc should have access to your chart. Do any of your local hospitals have a nurse advice line? How about your insurance company - ours has a 24/7 number to call with medical questions. Don't mess around. If you have taken hydrocodone without any relief, that's not a good sign.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    If you jump, does the pain get worse in your abdomen? Push on your lower right abdomen and then pull your hand away quickly. Does it hurt more after you pull your hand away? Those are two tests that doctors use for appendicitis. Are you vomiting or nauseated? Do you have even a low grade fever?

When I read your post the first thought that went through my mind was appendicitis. I have a nurse friend whose appendix ruptured before she started running a fever or anything. An ovarian cyst is another thought I had. Any chance you might be pregnant - tubal pregnancies can be very painful. There are a lot of things that can cause abdominal/pelvic pain and an ultrasound is probably the first thing they would do in the ER.

Your doctor should have someone taking call for him - if the office uses electronic medical records, that doc should have access to your chart. Do any of your local hospitals have a nurse advice line? How about your insurance company - ours has a 24/7 number to call with medical questions. Don't mess around. If you have taken hydrocodone without any relief, that's not a good sign.
    No, it does not really hurt when the area is palpated. I feels sore like I have worked out for 2 or 3 hours. I have another symptom that I do not want to write about out here which had me thinking about a ruptured ovarian cyst. No way there is a pregnancy involved so that can be ruled out. I've had a constant low grade fever since november of 2010. The only way I've gotten rid of it is with OTC ibuprofen or acetaminophen. I will look into some advice hotlines. I think the trauma e.r. here has one. There is no nausea or vomiting involved. Let me see what I can come up with. Thank you for your response. As a matter of fact I will PM you the other symptom maybe you could ask your friend if you speak with them...who knows I'll probably have passed out by then or gone to the ER. lol
    I've learned the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity.

-Gilda Radner

Thanks

Good god Glibby what a thing to say mate about your other problem and about probably passing out, we think a great deal of you on here and would'nt like to know that's happened.

Please be careful and get help it you need it please. xxx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peridot20_Gem View Post
    Good god Glibby what a thing to say mate about your other problem and about probably passing out, we think a great deal of you on here and would'nt like to know that's happened.

Please be careful and get help it you need it please. xxx
    Ooooh the passing out thing was just me being silly. Trying to keep the weird sense of humor with the not so great days. But, thank you Terri for the concern...it's not my intention to make anyone worry. I just try to make light of things most of the time so I don't get so down in the dumps. I'll only let it go a little longer before I decide who to call or where to go. It's just a little freakish that it has intensified since early this morning. I'm sure many others here have the prob of not knowing when something besides their current ailments is seriously wrong. It's so hard to know. It makes a person look batty calling the doctor for every little thing. Or at least that's how i feel about it. I will let you know what I decide. I PMed Gizmo with an extra symptom that was way too embarrassing to put out here. lol I don't think they've read it yet.

-Gilda Radner

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Glibby For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-03-2011)

Thanks

Nice to hear you was only joking as some circumstances can hit you hard where you feel like that could possibly happen, i might be miles apart from a good many member's but i would'nt like to hear anything had happened to them.
    I do hope it leaves you and it nothing that's going to keep on.

Whatever your extra symptom is i don't know nothing about it, whatever happens to me is added because when i joined last year there was other lady member's coming back at my threads with the same problem, so unless it's really personal i put them up, as it really helps others.

Thinking of you dearly mate and rest well. xxxxx

Thanks

Has anyone hear from Glibby since she posted about having abdominal pain? I sent her a message, but got no reply. I wonder if she ended up having something that needed surgical attention afterall?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I haven't heard from her but she was on at 2PM today. Will leave her a note and check on her
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~