Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a wheelchair

Thanks

Default I need a wheelchair

Hi. I asked my rheumy (in NJ) if she could write me a note for medicaid so that I can get a motorized wheelchair. She said "no" because I was able to get around the home and do chores without needing one.
    I can't do anything NOW. Everything I do causes rapid heartbeat, excessive fatigue, chest pains and pure aggravation. To further complicate things, I get these symptoms whether or not I am doing anything. And further still, now I am experiencing tingling and burning in my feet. It's not just annoying, it is debilitating.
    What ELSE should I say to my new doc in order to get a scooter or wheelchair. I'm not even kidding. I need one.
    "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change" (Wayne Dyer)

Thanks

Over here in the uk because i've had strokes plus suffer with paralasis at times, my doctor got social services involved for me to have one straight away and every couple of years they give me a new one and i'm due again this year.

With the symptoms you're having i just can't understand that Theresa but for getting about outside i brought me a 1yr old second hand electric scooter.

Hopefully a member on the board from your area can help you otherwise.

Terri xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-29-2011 at 02:46 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

mrstjscott (05-29-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Why don't you try getting the order from one of the other docs that you see? Your GP might be willing to write it because he/she looks at the bigger picture where the rhuemy only looks at a small area of your illness. I have found that for general things that I need my GP is the place to go. Hope that helps
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

mrstjscott (05-29-2011)

Thanks

Theresa,

Mari is right on this one don't mess with the rheumo, ask your GP as they carry more history on you anyway.

Thanks

Thanks Mari and Terri. Actually, I don't have a rheumy here in Philly yet. I just got the pcp and when I go back to talk to her about the "inflammation" that she is concerned about, I will ask her. The scooters start at $1500. I don't have that kind of money.
    "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change" (Wayne Dyer)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

One other things. You might want to call that "scooter store" that is on TV all the time. They say give them a call and they will help you work everything out. It is worth a shot.

http://www.thescooterstore.com/
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

mrstjscott (05-29-2011)

Thanks

Thanks Mari. I will contact them.

Thanks

Theresa,

I hope your able to get help one way or another, as $1500 is a large amount but there's always ebay if you have an account or a member of your family does, i don't know how much transport would cost or anything like that unless there's something simular in your area on the internet to where you can buy 2nd hand like myself which you can afford, as that's where i got my scooter from.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

mrstjscott (05-29-2011)

Thanks

GOD will provide. I won't even begin to COMPLAIN about my financial situation. I mean, SSI is trying to cut off my husband who has CP. What kinda sense does THAT make? Anywhooooooooooooo. Thanks Terri. Bout to try to go to sleep since I didn't get to be until after 5 a.m. and woke up before 10 a.m. I am so irritated and miserable right now. UUUUggggghhhhhh.

Thanks

We had this same fight with my daughter's doctors. The concern all doc's seem to share is that once a person has a chair/scooter, they will quit walking. We ended up buying a manual chair ourselves - but the company worked with us to find a "floor model" that was lightweight. Our insurance did eventually buy a $20k powerchair for her to use at school, but that was because she wasn't able to sit in a regular desk or walk long distances following hip surgery. It took several years to convince her doctor to write the order - not being able to attend school was the clincher.

Do you need to drive to get to where you need to go? If so, the biggest expense may be getting your vehicle set up to carry the scooter. There are little lifts that will fit in a trailer hitch that you can put on the back of your car - but the car needs to be built to accept a certain weight on a hitch. It leaves the scooter exposed to the elements, as well as rocks and backing into things. Because the powerchair was so expensive, heavy and tall (she had to have a headrest), we ended up buying a used wheelchair accessible van for $10k on eBay. New accessible vans run $50k or more! Fortunately we were able to do that then, we sure couldn't now!

There are also lifts and ramps that you can have installed in certain model vans and SUVs, but you need to watch the height of the scooter/chair you get. Some chairs have seats that fold down so they fit in the back of an SUV. There are lifts that will put it into the back of a pick-up truck, too, like a little crane ). If you live near a big city, there should be at least one store that specializes in equipping vehicles for special needs. We have 2 in our area and they are very helpful, but their van prices are high.

Going back to getting a doc to fill out the paperwork - maybe make a list of the things you want to do, but can't in your current condition. The more things on the list that your doctor will see as "important" or "worthwhile", the more likely you are to get it. I would make it clear that you don't intend to use it around the house, but that it would help you to be more active outside the house. Doctors like to hear that. Mari's suggestion about the scooter store sounds like a winner to me!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Sounds like you will have quite a list of things to talk about. You might want to request a longer appointment.