Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thumbs up Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day to everyone and remember our servicemen and women and the vetrens who keep our country free. Bonita

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonita For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (06-02-2011), SandyR (05-31-2011), Saysusie (06-03-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am posting a couple of my favorite video remembrances for this Memorial Day. This weekend is only a holiday in the US but I know the US is not the only country with military serving so I am trying to add some for everyone. If I left you out please send me a private message and I will get one for you as well.

To all of those serving today and to those who have already served all I have to offer is my sincerest "Thank You". It isn't enough but it is all that I have.

USA

Canada

(The Site will only allow 4 images per page. More to follow in another post)
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (06-02-2011), Saysusie (06-03-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Australian

British Forces

Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (05-29-2011), Saysusie (06-03-2011), steve.b (05-29-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

A good friend of mine, a guy who I grew up with, was killed in Mosul, Iraq in 2007. His name was Sgt. 1st Class Jonathan A. Lowery. He was in his 19th year of service in the U.S. Army, and on his third voluntary deployment to Iraq. His actions on the day he died, saved the lives of two of his men. Seeing his two young sons being presented a folded flag at his funeral, is an image that I will never forget.

There have been so many others. There's guys that I served with so many years ago whose names I recognized on Pentagon casualty lists. There have been local kids. And there's been friends of members of my family who are currently serving who have been killed in action. With all of them, uncommon valor was a common trait.

Let us never forget them.

Rob

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (06-02-2011), Peridot20_Gem (05-29-2011), SandyR (05-29-2011), Saysusie (06-03-2011), tgal (05-29-2011)

Thanks

First of all thanks Mari for adding for our British soliders and secondly Rob mentioning what they've gone through saving friends.

It is a time to remember for all countries and what they're going through but such a loss of so many lifes, (especially just for the sake of money in our country the UK).

It breaks my heart when you hear of lads 18 who have died and not really saw life and the beloved ones left behind in pain wheather it be family or young wifes.

All my love goes out to them all xxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-29-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks

I'm really thinking of my son-in-law, A1C Tyler Singleton, this weekend. He deployed to Afghanistan just three weeks ago. My daughter and grandson are going to be without him for a year. Please include this little family in your thoughts.
    Special Hugs to ALL of our past and present Military members and their families.
    Marla

11. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    I'm really thinking of my son-in-law, A1C Tyler Singleton, this weekend. He deployed to Afghanistan just three weeks ago. My daughter and grandson are going to be without him for a year. Please include this little family in your thoughts.
    Special Hugs to ALL of our past and present Military members and their families.
    Marla
    My nephew Ben, who is a Green Beret, left the country for his first deployment two weeks ago. Since he's a member of Special Forces, his destination is unknown to us. His mom got a call from him, and he has safely reached his destination, is doing well, and is plenty busy doing whatever he's doing.

I hope your son in law's deployment goes safely, and quickly Marla.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 05-30-2011 at 08:10 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

magistramarla (05-30-2011), Saysusie (06-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peridot20_Gem View Post
    First of all thanks Mari for adding for our British soliders and secondly Rob mentioning what they've gone through saving friends.
    Our allies in the U.K., Australian, and Canadian armed forces are some of the finest troops I've ever had the honor of meeting or serving with. They are true professionals in every sense of the word.

Rob

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-30-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Marla
    Marla, my thoughts and love are with your son in law and wife plus your granchild, these are such testing times at the moment throughout the world for everyone.

((Hugs to you & your family marla)) xxxxx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

magistramarla (05-30-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yesterday was my grandfather's 84th birthday and of course it was also Memorial Day too. The fact that the two occured on the same day is really so fitting. My grandfather immigrated to this country in 1940. His mother sent him to live with an uncle partly because she didn't want her son drafted into war and partly because, as a 13 year old smart a$$, grandpa was a bit of a ruffian and she didn't want him behind bars. When he got here, he fell in love with 2 things; my grandmother who lived in the apartment below his family and played the piano for him every day and this country.

Not too long after he arrived, Pearl Harbor was attacked and the US was actively involved in the war abroad. My grandfather begged his uncle to allow him, an underage, immigrated, teen-aged boy without even a high school diploma, to sign the guardianship paperwork to allow this boy to enter the US Army and fight in the war. His uncle denied him that citing his age and his sister's fears so my grandfather did was any smart, sly young guy with ambition and a goal would do. He hopped a ferry across to NJ with a friend and forged his uncle's name and came home an enlisted man in the 503rd Airborne.

Here he was 16, poor, and not even a US citizen and there he went signing up to fight for this country and the ideals it held that he so firmly believed in at such a young age. While he was enlisted, he became a US citizen before shipping out. He actually was responsible for a group of about 20 young men becoming citizens on that same day because he refused to board the train until he was granted citizenship and his commanding officers couldn't direct this soldier to follow their orders since he was, at the time, a foriegn-citizen volunteer, so they disembarked the entire train and asked all those who were citizens to take a step forward and the remaining young men were driven downtown to the courthouse and sworn into the country as newly minted US citizens.

Grandpa fought with his regiment till the end of the war, came home and married my grandmother and has since spent his life living the American dream complete with the house in the burbs, a buick in the front lawn an lots (8) of pig-tailed little girls playing with dolls and tea sets on his porch. He worked at the same job till he retired and he always instilled in his children the importance of patriotism. His sense of it was so strong that 6 of his grandchildren and 2 of his great-grandchildren have since enlisted as a direct result of the pride in country he's passed down onto us. His love of the American flag in it's purist version (flag on a pole) and his dislike of the changing of the flag into a commercial commodity (as a pattern in a shirt or on a set of bedsheets for example) is well known in our family.

Grandpa is pretty old-school when it comes to his values. Honor thy mother and father. Respect your elders. Take care of your siblings and spouses and children. Be good at whatever job it is you chose to do. Value your religion and friends and always be a good citizen. He seldom talks about his war time, although if you ask him about it, he is much more open now than he was in years past, but we know that he saw things that only those who served in war can imagine. We know he lost several friends abroad and that he was a good soldier by all accounts.

Grandpa still, at 84 and in more pain than ever before, goes to his annual Airborne reunion to see his old pals and their wives. The numbers have shrunk so low that the reunion is on the brink of extinction. He is among the last of a great generation of men and woman that really did perserve the freedoms we so often take for granted today. Yesterday, as he was blowing out the candles on his birthday cake, I could see that grandpa's time with us is limited. He won't complain unless you ask him directly how he feels and even then it is likely that he won't. I know that when he is gone I will think of him at every patriotic holiday and family celebration and also at every time I see a man or woman in uniform or see the flag blowing and snapping at attention in the breeze. I am so greatful to him for all he has done for my family but also for all he has taught us about the value of country and the importance of patriotism and for the appreciation he has passed onto us for the service of those who afford us the freedoms to enjoy the everyday simple things like watching our grandfather blow out the candles on a cake.
    Last edited by SandyR; 05-31-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Brain Fog - grandpa served in the 503rd and not the 103rd
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-03-2011)