Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walking stick options?

Thanks

Default walking stick options?

recently been having a lot of hip joint problems. everything else is easy to deal with but having stiff hips makes it really hard to get around at times. I thought about a walking stick but I am still young and certain this would be embarrassing for me.

I thought maybe there was some funky looking or not so.... antique like walking stick options that wont make me feel even more like an old woman? Anyone got any advice?

Im only 29 and will be 30 in a couple of weeks lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks

"Pride goeth before the fall" or something like that and nobody likes to fall on their face. I started using canes, walking sticks, crutches and the like when I was 32. I had a problem with it at first, the whole embarrassing issue, but then I realized it would be a whole lot more embarrassing to fall on my face so I got over it. Check antique stores, thrift shops or flea markets for walking sticks and canes. I got lucky and inherited several from my dad. Also check sporting good stores for walking sticks. If you are crafty, get a dowel rod from the craft store then find a cool door knob either new or a cool glass antique one, cut the dowel rod to the proper length, stain or paint the color of your choice and screw the door knob in the end. I did that but instead of a door knob, I used a tennis ball and wrapped it with yarn so it looks like a ball of yarn since I'm a knitting fanatic. There is actually a company (sorry I don't recall the name) that has a catalog of nothing but canes. I'm sure if you google cane catalogs it will come up quickly. Beautiful stuff with all kinds of prices. Don't think of a cane as an assistive device or look like an old woman, think of it as a fashion statement- an accessory! Have fun and good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

giggle (05-29-2011), steve.b (05-28-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oh I can sooooo relate to this!!! I broke down and bought a cane for bad days but I only use it when I am really bad! There are some really cool ones out there. Bright colors, medieval type canes, you can make your own fashion statement with them. I got mine at a big Weekly Flea Market in Houston. There are several medieval stores in there and I love it. I will insert a link to a cane website. It might give you some ideas.

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

giggle (05-29-2011), Nonna (05-29-2011), riverlaken (05-30-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That's the site! Thanks TGAL! I couldn't remember the name of it courtesy of brain fog.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruziska View Post
    That's the site! Thanks TGAL! I couldn't remember the name of it courtesy of brain fog.
    My pleasure!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Ha ha you are so right about that, it would be more embarrassing falling over than having a walking stick. Thanks heaps for the website! It has a lot of interesting stuff. Just looked through all the sections... one that had me puzzled and disgusted was the bull penis canes! EW!

I was worried my partner would be embarrassed to be around me with a cane but he seems ok with it but said I need to get a funky one lol

Thanks

Giggle I found a cool web site you might want to check out. It is Australian

http://www.swankywalkingsticks.com.au/page/18730708 with a You tube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2X3pI-VV7E

Life Tech Queensland is in Townsville I think. I have a feeling it is like the Independent Living VCentre in Perth. Perhaps you could contact them and ask them for advice:
    http://www.lifetec.org.au/home/searc...61817747#8/151

I checked this walking stick out at a chemist, and if I need one, I would like the Cooper Arthritic Adjustable Walking Stick
    http://www.assistireland.ie/uploaded..._(PRO)_896.jpg

I found it on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foldable-...-/230448789147
    Last edited by Linda From Australia; 05-29-2011 at 02:56 AM.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

giggle (05-29-2011), tgal (05-29-2011)

Thanks

Hi Giggle,

I was in the same boat as yourself in my middle 20's and never gave anyone else a thought as i needed it badly, i went out and brought a nice slim walking stick with a nice thin handle and a gold bar going around it.

If you need one get one and use it mate, as you come first before other's and your health and Linda's done the good site's for you plus the one mari also found besides that there's either Ebay or Amazon you could look at.

Best of luck with getting a nice one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

giggle (05-29-2011)

Thanks

Thanks guys

I have put on order a shiny purple hiking stick... its basically a walking stick but its telescopic so it will fold away to put in my bag should I need it. I broke the news about it on facebook, to have a friend younger than me comment and tell me he needs to use a walking stick occasionally as well, having a severe and damaging arthritic condition. I felt a little better about it, this guy has to be the proudest guy I know and he came out and told me about it publicly.

My partner said he would prefer I have one than not have one... for my safety and also because he believes it will ease the pressure on me a bit with regards to people just not thinking I am sick. He says it will be a physical symbol that I am actually sick and that people do need to remember that. The way he said it sounded better and just made me love him more. But with my current brain weirdness saying things properly is getting hard. : /

Thanks

Giggle,
    Good for you for getting your walking stick!
    I never go anywhere without one. I have a great folding one that I inherited from my Dad. I use it every day. I have two fancy ones for dressy occasions. One has a wonderful lion's head for a handle, and used to be my mother-in-law's. The other one, my Latin students had made especially for me as a going-away present. It has a silver handle, and has pictures of little Romans on it, and some real Roman coins. I cried when they surprised me with it, and I'll treasure it always.
    Hugs,
    Marla