Thread: hydro therapy

Thanks

Default hydro therapy

jst wondering does anyone do hydro therapy? and does it help with loosing your joints?
    Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is Godís will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
    -1 THESSALONIANS 5:16-18

2. The Following User Says Thank You to noonie_baybee For This Useful Post:

riverlaken (05-28-2011)

Thanks

I go to the pool twice a day, and it is a real struggle every single day!!! But I know it is worth it. My physio and Rheumatologist know exactly what I do and advise me on the best way to exercise. They are happy with all the effort I am putting into being as well as I can.

I have to go to work now, but I will let you know what I do there when I get home tonight
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i do a little, not enough.
    it has been recommended by my primary doctor, a few other doctors i see, and my rhuemy.

a good place to find exercises is on you tube.
    the best site i have found is by expert village.
    they do about 31 episodes on water aerobics.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Whenever I get the chance those whirlpool spa tubs work wonders. I relax so my muscles relax and that eases the joints. Right now my hip is so bad that I need pain meds. I'm waiting for the weekend to soak. For me soaking in a hot tub is great. Don't ask how I get in and out; it's ridiculously embarassing.

Good Luck, with hugs
    nonna

Thanks

OK, I am back from work now. The problem I am having at the moment is my joint pain is getting worse, and every time I go to the physio and rheumatologist, they take more and more exercises off me. My muscles are wasting away so I have no choice but to exercise to stop them disappearing any more. I am very limited with what I can do, I still do the same amount of exercises, but they are very light. I try to do my physio when I wake up and when I go to bed, and go to the pool twice a day (once a day on Saturday and Sunday). I used to enjoy walking around the park but was hurting myself too much so my physio told me to go to the pool instead

I have had a few days off, but I didn't really feel any better or rested. In fact, I think I feel worse because my joints get very stiff and painful and doing my exercises, though painful, actually help me to loosen up. I know that if I didn't exercise, I would be worse off, I already have a lot of muscle loss and if I didn't work so hard, there would be less muscles. Some days I really don't feel like doing anything, but I make myself do it.

This is my exercise programme.

Wake up at 5:15am .... 20 minutes of physio
    Basic stretching - making sure I move all my joints. I was doing basic pilates but now I cannot even do those exercises. If you want to know what they were, I can let you know.

5:45am - 6:30am Pool
    Warm up - Walking half length of the pool
    Forwards
    Backwards
    Sideways - leading with the left and right leg

Stretches
    Calf - hands on wall with 1 leg forward and the other leg behind, leaning forward bending front knee
    Hamstring - Stand with back to the wall, let straight leg rise to the surface to feel stretch at back of thigh

Exercises
    Leg swings - forward/backwards .... then out to the side
    Knee flexion - standing with back to the wall let bend knee rise to the surface
    Squats - Facing wall hands holding in front if needed
    Lunges as steps - standing at foot of stairs and place left foot in first step and lunge forward
    Marching - same arm and same leg ..... opposite arm and opposite leg
    Balance - heel to toe ... single leg (left and right)

Cool down - Walking half length of the pool
    Forwards
    Backwards
    Sideways - leading with the left and right leg

Spa
    Stretch and move all my joints around

Swim
    Freestyle for 10 minutes
    Make sure I breathe every third stroke so I am using both sides of my body equally

Spa
    Stretch and move all my joints around

5:30pm - 6:15pm
    Back to the pool to do the same routine

Bed-time .... 20 minutes of physio
    Basic stretching - making sure I move all my joints. The same exercises that I do in the morning

This is some information that you might find interesting concerning Lupus and Exercise http://www.lupusinternational.com/Re...chures_05.aspx

Risks of Exercise
    The most common risk of exercise is aggravating your lupus by working your joints or muscles too much. This can happen if you exercise too long or too hard, especially when you are beginning an exercise program. It is important to start out slow and monitor how your body reacts to the exercise.

Three Main Types of Exercise
    People with lupus often benefit from a balanced exercise program including different types of exercise. Three main types of exercise that should be included in your exercise program are range-of-motion, strengthening, and endurance exercises.

Range-of-motion (ROM) exercises reduce stiffness and help keep your joints flexible. ROM is the normal amount your joints can be moved in certain directions. There are two types of ROM exercises: passive range-of-motion and active range-of-motion.

Useful during a flare, passive range-of-motion (PROM) exercises involve someone assisting with performance of the movement and there is no muscle contraction. An example using the shoulder flexion exercise would be someone moving your arm forward and above your head.

Active range-of-motion (AROM) exercises are useful immediately following a flare. They involve you performing the movement without assistance throughout the full range of movement. A muscle contraction is present in this type. The shoulder flexion example would be actively raising your arm forward and above your head.

The second main type of exercise, strengthening exercises, help maintain or increase muscle strength. Strong muscles help keep your joints stable. Two common types of strengthening exercises for people with lupus are isometric exercises, in which you tighten the muscle but do not move the joint, and resistive isotonic exercises in which the joint is moved.

In an isometric exercise, there is no joint movement, the overall muscle length stays the same, and a muscle contraction is present. These exercises are useful for joint strengthening with joint protection. In the shoulder flexion, facing a wall, you would place your fist firmly against the wall and push forward.

Resistive isotonic exercises involve performing a movement with some form of external resistance (i.e. theraband, free weights, machines). A muscle contraction is present and this type is indicated for high level strengthening. In the shoulder flexion exercise, you would have a weight in your hand and raise your arm forward and above your head.

The third main type of exercise is aerobic or endurance exercises which improve cardiovascular fitness. They make your lungs more efficient and give you more stamina so that you can work longer without tiring as quickly. Some of the most beneficial endurance exercises for people with lupus are walking, water exercises, and riding a stationary bicycle.
    Last edited by Linda From Australia; 05-26-2011 at 04:22 AM.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

steve.b (05-26-2011)

Thanks

Hi Jayrah,

I was told by my rheumo to go swimming best exercise for a good many things with which lupus can cause, arthritis, muscle wastage and it strengthens the muscles and lungs.

I told him straight how can i when i've been banned from certain swimming pools through my seizure's and to move about doubles my legs up.