Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lupus Nephritis and protein in urine

Thanks

Post Lupus Nephritis and protein in urine

I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago to the day with SLE lupus nephritis. I have been having issues with spilling protein in my urine which my nephrologist was kind of shrugging off until now (probably because I went to a rheumy who was very concerned). My Cellcept, prednisone, and lisinopril have all been increased for the past 5-6 weeks.....well my protein is still low in my blood and high high high in my 24 hr urine results.

Has anyone else experienced problems with protein spillage and if so how did it work out for you? I am worried because i trusted this doctor and have been spilling protein for awhile and now I'm worried my kidneys are being damaged ( my BUN,CREA have remained normal throughout protein spill however). I am also in the process of finding a new nephrologist. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by jseda; 05-23-2011 at 02:16 PM.
    ~J~
    Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Lupus Nephritis, Cryoglobulinemia
    Meds: CellCept, Prednisone, Lisinopril, Toprolol, Plaquenil

Thanks

Hi jseda,

I've not had protein spillage but i do suffer with losing protein down below which forms into a thick moist like cream and i do wipe me regular besides showering but i'm under a gyno at the mo and showed her and she told me to stop wipping it away, as i was wipping good protein away and by doing it would make it come more.

Someone will answer you in due course who may be having the same problem or suffered it.

Terri xxx

Thanks

I have found this info for you incase it helps in anyway.

Lupus Nephritis and urine spillage

Lupus Nephritis (LN) is the disease of the kidneys due to lupus. This occurs when lupus autoantibodies deposit in the kidneys and cause inflammation. About 30-50% of lupus patients will develop LN within the first six months to three years of being diagnosed with SLE. Inflammation of the kidney prevents it from functioning normally and can cause it to spill protein, which causes frothy and/or bloody urine. Other early manifestations of lupus nephritis include swelling of the feet and an increase in blood pressure. These symptoms are usually seen as the first signs of the disease.

Signs of LN may include:

Swelling or puffiness of feet, legs, eyes
    High blood pressure
    Frothy urine or getting up constantly to urinate at night
    Blood in urine
    One may not experience any symptoms, however, so a urine test is needed. It’s crucial to have your doctor rule out other causes such as kidney stones or a urinary infection before considering the diagnosis of LN.

Thanks

Thank you so much. Yes i have done some reading up on proteinuria and lupus nephritis and it gave me similr information. Thanks for your help!
    ~J~

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jseda View Post
    I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago to the day with SLE lupus nephritis. I have been having issues with spilling protein in my urine which my nephrologist was kind of shrugging off until now (probably because I went to a rheumy who was very concerned). My Cellcept, prednisone, and lisinopril have all been increased for the past 5-6 weeks.....well my protein is still low in my blood and high high high in my 24 hr urine results.

Has anyone else experienced problems with protein spillage and if so how did it work out for you? I am worried because i trusted this doctor and have been spilling protein for awhile and now I'm worried my kidneys are being damaged ( my BUN,CREA have remained normal throughout protein spill however). I am also in the process of finding a new nephrologist. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Hi There! Welcome to the group! I believe Linda had some issues with protein spilling. She is an Aussie so her day should be starting soon. I also know there are several others that have had that issue and hopefully they will pop in quickly as well.

Please make yourself at home and please keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

riverlaken (05-25-2011)

Thanks

Thank you very much!!
    ~J~

Thanks

Hello jseda,

I hope Linda as been able to help you out with your concern and i do hope your ok.

Thanks

Well here I am with all the answers .....

Last year I had kidney issues, however, I did not spill any protein ... sorry to disappoint you all.
    When I was a kid though, I did spill protein, and was booked into having a biopsy, but then when they tested me again there was no protein, but another time there was protein. So the doctors decided to just let me be as this was apparently normal for me.

Since being diagnosed July last year, all my tests concerning protein have been OK, so maybe it was just around when I was a kid.

Hopefully your protein issues will resolve very soon
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

Linda you've not disappointed me mate, i'm pleased you don't suffer with it because one lesser problem all the better. xxx

Thanks

Hey there jseda,

I too, spill the protein in my urine +4 and have a high blood count. My BUN/CREA is low at 10.0 and my CHLORIDE is low 93. I am not sure if that helps any? I just had my first appointment with a Neuro doc and he ordered me a C Spine MRI which, was two days ago. This Neuro doctor also told me that I have abnormal reflexes in both arms and overactive in my both legs, I am not sure what that means yet? I am waiting for my knew appointment with a PCP, so I can start anew with him on 7-5-11.

Well, I don't know of any suggestions, although my possitive vibes are going ===========> your way.

~Dana

12. The Following User Says Thank You to riverlaken For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (05-28-2011)