Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to be prepared. Help, please?

Thanks

Question I want to be prepared. Help, please?

Quick rundown:Ok, so up until now I have been told by my PCP and pain management doc that I have lupus after several blood tests at different times, a record of symptoms that stretches back at least 2.5 yrs, and none of the meds they are giving me are working. I'm basically in a constant flare.

My PCP refuses to give me any RXs that I need in regards to lupus, my PM dr.s appt. is 2.5 weeks away, and my rheumy appt. isn't until Sept. 1. Many of you have said I need the meds now and not to wait. So, 10 minutes ago I called another physician whom I have always gone to...but I changed to the current one because she has more convenient office hours. Well, convenience went out the door MONTHS ago and I'm desperate so I called his office. They scheduled an appt. for tomorrow at 9 am.

My question is this: What do I tell him? I know I'm probably overreacting when I feel embarrassed for going to another physician and now I am going back. I have always loved him...he has taken good care of me and he listens...AND he looks like Santa Claus and that's always a plus. lol The only reason I switched was because I needed a physician with weekend hours. *sigh* Big mistake.

Back to the original thought....He has no idea what's going on with me so how do I present the situation to him? Do I just ask him for what I think I need which would be the prednisone and plaquenil? I'm not sure if he has experience with lupus patients...I would imagine he does...he's been in medicine ever since my daddy was in high school.

So what do you guys think? I want to be armed with the correct information and be confident in what I am telling him.

Any insight would truly be helpful. Thank you in advance.

P.S. I feel like #$*% still. I have slept the majority of everyday since last week and have not been to work since wed. and I've totally neglected my teenage son. Blaaaaah. I told my boss that I had to take some time off...the pain has become unbearable and the fatigue has knocked me on my butt. O.o

Thanks

Hi Glibby,

I know you wished you had'nt removed from him but if he's always been great with you plus your history, stop with him mate.

I suggest this....go in and ask if he knows about Lupus that's the first thing i've done with doctor's refering my epilepsey in the past, as it's no good talking to someone who as'nt got a clue and if he says yes.

Then start by telling him how it's all been diagnosed and by who and also what each one as said, then your symptoms and how it's hard coping with it and tell him you need his opinion and also what does he recommend.

All the best mate Hugs Terri xxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Glibby (05-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peridot20_Gem View Post
    Hi Glibby,

I know you wished you had'nt removed from him but if he's always been great with you plus your history, stop with him mate.

I suggest this....go in and ask if he knows about Lupus that's the first thing i've done with doctor's refering my epilepsey in the past, as it's no good talking to someone who as'nt got a clue and if he says yes.

Then start by telling him how it's all been diagnosed and by who and also what each one as said, then your symptoms and how it's hard coping with it and tell him you need his opinion and also what does he recommend.

All the best mate Hugs Terri xxx
    OK, thank you Terri. I was thinking along those lines of asking him what his opinion is. I called the office just now and I know the woman who works up front and I asked if she knew of any lupus patients that go to him. She said there were at least 4 or 5 she could think of right off the bat. So, hopefully this will work out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

tell him the truth. tell him you know it's been a while since you've seen him and there's a lot that's happened with your health in that time but it's important for you that he understands the reason you switched to a new doctor was ONLY because of convenience which you now realize rates a far distant second to competance. Explain all that's been going on and if possible bring your records/lab results from the current doc. From what you said about him, I think he'll be able to act compassionately, humanly and not god-like as so many doctors tend to do.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

Glibby (05-23-2011), steve.b (05-23-2011)

Thanks

Well if she thinks he's got 4-5 patients seeing him then, you should be in luck hopefully to get something sorted because everything i've stated to you, is what i do myself when seeing doctor's otherwise.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Glibby,

First off, I wouldn't worry about possible hurt feelings with the doctor, that's not the issue, and you already have enough to worry about. People switch doctors all the time for reasons like convenience, I'm sure he understands this.

With that out of the way, I have a philosophy-when you know what's wrong with you, don't ask the doctor anything, TELL them what your situation is, and what you need from them. Tell him that the other doc's are absolutely certain that you have Lupus. Tell him you have done your own research using reputable sources of info on Lupus, and from that, you too, are convinced that's what's wrong with you. Tell him you need to be started on Plaquenil, and that you would also like to try a steroid like Prednisone. Tell him you are not there for a diagnosis, you already have that. You are there to be prescribed an appropriate treatment.

Most importantly, tell him that the lack of action and assistance from other doctors has caused your symptoms to become completely unmanageable, and that these symptoms are having a detrimental effect on nearly every aspect of your daily life. You need action NOW, not words.

Be assertive, and be as confident as you can be. Take a cheat sheet with notes of the high points you feel you need to cover to get what you need from the doctor. Don't be afraid to get it out and use it if you get a little rattled. You are an intelligent, informed patient, and a good doctor will recognize and respect that.

You can do this. If the appointment starts to take a turn in a direction you don't like, say something. Don't let it slide. If you are feeling hurried or like you are just being blown off, again, say something. Remember, the doctor works for you, and a good employee listens to his boss-that's you.

Good luck tomorrow!

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 05-23-2011 at 09:57 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

steve.b (05-23-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

The only thing that I can add to what has been said is that I would get a copy of all of the records that the doctor you are leaving has. I don't mean have them sent to the doctor, I mean call them and tell them you want a copy and ask what time you can pick them up. Some doctors are butts and make you pay $25 or so however it is worth it. (I have copies of every one of my doctors records0. Once you get them home and have a pretty good head day go through them. Type/write a paper of all the blood results that you have had that came back bad or out of range. Next try and write a brief summary of symptoms or how your life has been since you became ill. Make a copy for the doctor that you are going to see.

When you get there don't give that to the nurse. Give it to the doctor when he comes in the room. If they have just ordered the records from the doctor they are not going to read it all to find out what is going on with you. If, however, you have done the work for them and shoved the paper in their face, they have no choice but to read it. It will also give the doctor a way to see what is happening in case you are foggy that day and unable to find the right words.

Good luck with the new/old doc. I ended up doing the same thing and it really did turn things around for me!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

steve.b (05-23-2011)

Thanks

Glibby,

Please let we all know how things go mate and all the best.

Terri xxx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Hi Glibby,

First off, I wouldn't worry about possible hurt feelings with the doctor, that's not the issue, and you already have enough to worry about. People switch doctors all the time for reasons like convenience, I'm sure he understands this.

With that out of the way, I have a philosophy-when you know what's wrong with you, don't ask the doctor anything, TELL them what your situation is, and what you need from them. Tell him that the other doc's are absolutely certain that you have Lupus. Tell him you have done your own research using reputable sources of info on Lupus, and from that, you too, are convinced that's what's wrong with you. Tell him you need to be started on Plaquenil, and that you would also like to try a steroid like Prednisone. Tell him you are not there for a diagnosis, you already have that. You are there to be prescribed an appropriate treatment.

Most importantly, tell him that the lack of action and assistance from other doctors has caused your symptoms to become completely unmanageable, and that these symptoms are having a detrimental effect on nearly every aspect of your daily life. You need action NOW, not words.

Be assertive, and be as confident as you can be. Take a cheat sheet with notes of the high points you feel you need to cover to get what you need from the doctor. Don't be afraid to get it out and use it if you get a little rattled. You are an intelligent, informed patient, and a good doctor will recognize and respect that.

You can do this. If the appointment starts to take a turn in a direction you don't like, say something. Don't let it slide. If you are feeling hurried or like you are just being blown off, again, say something. Remember, the doctor works for you, and a good employee listens to his boss-that's you.

Good luck tomorrow!

Rob
    Straight to the point. I like this.

Good thing about this Dr. is that he is really old school. He'll stay in the room with you for 45 minutes if need be, he never rushes. If he does start walking out and you say, "Wait, I have one more question." He comes right back into the room and will sit down for another 10 minutes. Needless to say, my appt is @ 9 which is code for 11 am. I am sure of this due to how much time he spends with each patient. lol

Thanks

Well he's a doctor definitely from old school manners and those you can't beat but that's great stretching an appointment for 2hrs flat that as made me laugh but what's he had to say about things or have'nt you seen him yet because of our time gap??