Thread: Don't know anything yet.

Thanks

Default Don't know anything yet.

Having blood tests every 2 or 3 months. High ANA & high dsANA. Have periodic ramdom swelling & pain in hands & feet mostly. Haven't yet been able to get in to see Dr. before it goes away. So far he says even if it is lupus (have only 2 markers, takes min. of 4 for diagnosis) at my age (58) won't have time to do much damage. Thanks for sharing your stories, seems to be more practical info here than anywhere else.

MawMaw

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi MawMaw! Welcome to WHL! There is actually a "sticky" (means it is at the top of the page and never moves) the Newly Diagnosed thread that gives all of the symptoms. I am going to post that link at the bottom of this page.

Your doctor appears to have a very smug attitude about Lupus. I may be wrong because he knows your situation. Maybe you have never been sick and the tests were run just during a normal check up (although most of the tests run when looking to rule out Lupus are not run during a normal check up) and you haven't been ill at any time. If, however, you have been having symptoms for a prolonged period of your life or serious symptoms for a shorter amount of time, then I think it is your job to go up to your doctor and whap the heck out of him! LOL Seriously, it is not like you are 98 and not knowing what symptoms, if any, you have had in the last few years, I really am ticked he dismissed you like that!

Anyway... welcome to the WHL family! We are really glad that you are here.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (05-21-2011)

Thanks

Hi MawMaw,
    I agree with Mari, 58 is too young to throw in the towel. If you had heart disease or cancer would he say "it won't have much time to do much damage."?! He must be a pretty crappy doctor if he only expects to keep you alive a few years!

Some rheumatologists are very much "by the book", meaning if you aren't a textbook case of lupus, they won't diagnose or treat you. My personal experience is that older doctors are more likely to be this way. The really good rheumies look at the big picture and consider starting Plaquinil or even a low dose of steroids to see if they can get you feeling better. One rheumy told us that they should just put Plaquinil in the water because it helps so many people who haven't been diagnosed with a specific autoimmune disorder.

Welcome, and I hope you get some information on this board that will help you advocate with your doctor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-21-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

OMG!! How DARE he basically tell you that you are too old to be worried about a chronic illness...as if you say that you will be dead before the disease can do any damage! WTH!! I agree, pick up a brick and whack him upside his head.
    So, here I go again, on my rant about ignorant, uncaring doctors!! They just irk me to my very core.
    58 is, absolutely, much too young to "throw in the towel" and most definitely NOT TOO OLD for your doctor to administer aggressive care and treatment in order to assure that your Lupus does not cause you any problems, now or in the future.
    Please tell him that his comment was unappreciated, cavalier, and not at all helpful. Demand that he treat your symptoms as if you were 18 years old with this diagnosis. Your age should have no bearing, whatsoever, on the treatment that you deserve.

Ok..I am calming down now Please know that we are all here to help you as much as we can and in any way that we can. I am happy that you are here and welcome to our family

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-21-2011)

Thanks

Default Some Corrections

Of course I meant high dsDNA. Also I didn't explain myself well about what the Dr. said. He was saying that I shouldn't have to worry about a lot of organ damage based on my age & the fact that I am in pretty good health at this point. He is concerned about my comfort. He wants me to come straight to his office next time I have flair so he can see inflammation. Thanks for all the kind support.

Thanks

Hello MawMaw,

Welcome to WHL and so lovely to have you with us and the threads give so much info concerning different diseases connected to Lupus.

Your doctor should'nt be saying none of this to you even at 58 until he knows himself your full diagnosis and really you should be seeing
    Rheumatologist who do alot more tests and also x-rays.

As soon as your feet and hands start again get down you doctor's ASAP, as these symptoms could be connceted to Raynauds diseases also, which i have and can cause severe pain and then Dermatologist's need to be involved then.

It will be lovely getting to know you Terri xxx

Thanks

How are you going Maw Maw, have you been able to get to see your doctor so he can see some of your inflammation
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

No, not yet. So far flares can be 3 to 4 weeks apart so I haven't had inflammation since last post. Thanks for asking. How are you?

Thanks

At this moment? Tired, I need to go to bed. Have a lovely day, or night, depending on where you live
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

Hello Mawmaw,

How are you feeling now?? and i hope you have a less pain free day tomorrow. xxx