Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menorrhagia and lupus

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question Menorrhagia and lupus

Hi there,

Just wondering anyone out there have experienced what I am experiencing now. Even since I am on prednisolone since Aug last year, my periods become very irregular. In fact, it has never stopped since , except for light spottings for a few days. And recently while I was stepping down my prednisolone to 7.5mg, then to 6mg and now 5mg, the bleeding become heavier for weeks with lots of blood clots. My blood count for both white and red cells are low now. Have fixed an appointment to see my gynae next Mon, but thought I raised it here to see whether this is a common symptom. I am worried.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi There! I wanted to pop in and welcome you to WHL! I am so glad that you decided to join! I wish that I could help with this problem but I went through surgical menopause 15 years ago so periods are not something that I have dealt with during my illness. I know several people in the forum have discussed strange periods and I am sure they will be around soon. For whatever reason the forum is a bit slower on the weekends than during the week so if you don't get a reply soon just bump this back up (or remind me to) on Monday and you should get plenty!

Once again, welcome to the WHL family! We are really glad to have you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

No Fur Dog (05-23-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Menstrual dysfunction is listed as one of the side effects of Prednisone. There is not a lot of information about Prednisone and Menorrhagia. The general information regarding this subject merely states that Prednisone usage may lead to problems related to menstrual cycles. Women may experience irregularity in their menstrual cycle occurrence, very heavy or unremitting occurrences, or they may experience no menstrual cycle occurrence at all.

Sorry I could not find more information for you, but I hope that this helps a little

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

No Fur Dog (05-23-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Prednisone altered my periods as well. I'd go from hardly having one to have extremely heavy jeez do I have any fluid left in my body that would last for a day. No more prednisone. No more altered periods. Wait, I'm going through menopause so no more periods anyhow!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

No Fur Dog (05-23-2011), Peridot20_Gem (05-22-2011), tgal (05-21-2011)

Thanks

Hi and welcome to WHL and i hope the forum helps you with such alot.

I'm not taking meds at the moment as issue's are being dealt with first but refering blood loss it sounds like prednisone can make it happen as (ruziska) as stated but i've also had the same symptoms causing me to haemorrhage on period's and also when i'm not on one and i've also got Anaemia with the Lupus and to stop the bleeding they're doing an operation to burn the whole of my uterus out because the haemorrhageing needs to be stopped but besides medication doing this, Lupus can also cause bleeding according to what disorder in the body it's affecting.

I do hope you manage to get it sorted because it became a main issue with me.

Terri xxx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

No Fur Dog (05-23-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Saw my gynae today. She offered D&C as one option so as to rule out other reasons like abormal tissues/cancer, etc. She said in some cases D&C for some reason also allows the patient to 'restart" the lining of the uterus in clean state and problems like menorrhagia disappears after that. I rejected it since I am not in a state with low white and red blood count to go through another procedure. I asked to go the oral medication route and she prescribed norethisterone for 21 days. While I am worried of the side effects of norethiserone and inconclusive link to lupus flare, I decided to give me a go since I do not want to "bleed to death". Let's hope this work for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to No Fur Dog For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (05-23-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for letting we know as this helps alot of member's and i'm with you concerning the D&C i would'nt have liked that, i just hope the Utovlan
    (Norethisterone) does it's job to help you, as the bleeding does need to be helped.
    I'm going in for my pre-op tomorrow i hope i pass for my operation having low blood pressure, then it's just waiting to be called in to remove a polyps inside the cervix then burning out my uterus with a new operation called (Novacure) where a large majority of women never see a period again, i was added to the surgeon's list on the 27th april but just need the pre-op first.

I'll add some info on the Norethisterone you going to start, to help you with info plus side affects.

I wish you all the very best Terri xxx

Thanks

NORETHISTERONE (Utovlan)

How does it work?
    Utovlan tablets contain the active ingredient norethisterone, which is a synthetic hormone similar to the naturally occurring sex hormone, progesterone. It is used in a wide range of menstrual disorders. (NB. Norethisterone is also available without a brand name, ie as the generic medicine.)

In women, progesterone is responsible for the development of a healthy womb lining (endometrium) that is necessary for pregnancy. The body produces progesterone at certain times of the menstrual cycle, causing the womb lining to flourish. If a fertilized egg does not attach to the womb lining by the end of the monthly menstrual cycle, the levels of progesterone in the body decrease. This causes the body to shed the womb lining (a menstrual ‘period’). If a fertilized egg successfully attaches to the womb lining by the end of the monthly cycle, progesterone levels in the body remain high. This helps maintain a healthy womb lining for the ongoing pregnancy.

As norethisterone helps regulate the healthy growth and normal shedding of the womb lining, it may be used in the treatment of menstrual disorders such as irregular or painful menstrual periods, premenstrual syndrome and endometriosis. It may also be used to postpone the onset of menstruation for special circumstances, such as if travelling or taking part in sporting event.

Norethisterone is usually taken on selected days during the menstrual cycle, depending upon the disorder that is being treated.

High doses of norethisterone can be used to treat breast cancer. It is not known exactly how norethisterone works in breast cancer, but is thought to interfere with the release of hormones from the pituitary gland and by acting directly on the tumours

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

No Fur Dog (05-24-2011)

Thanks

SIDE AFFECTS OF NORETHISTERONE

Hormonal Side Effects

The most common norethisterone side effects, experienced by fewer than one in 10 women, include breakthrough bleeding, breast tenderness, changes in sex drive, excessive hair growth, fluid retention and bloating and hair loss.

Additional Side Effects
    Additional common side effects include depressed mood, dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, headaches, insomnia and nausea, rash and itching, and weight gain.

Blood Clots
    Progesterone is associated with a slightly-increased risk of blood clots when included with estrogen in oral contraceptives. Progesterone alone may also increase this risk. The risk of blood clots can be increased when people are immobile for long periods of time, such as during bed rest after surgery.

Diabetic Concerns
    Norethisterone can increase blood sugar levels, and should be taken cautiously by women with diabetes.

Liver Problems
    Rarely, norethisterone is associated with liver problems. Signs are nausea and vomiting, fatigue, dark urine and jaundice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

And my situation is just the opposite. Months after my fibro started four years ago, my period stopped. I went on hormones to help with all the menopausal side effects and then two years later Lupus set in. Two months into the Lupus I developed blood clots so the hormones had to stop. Yesterday I had my first well-woman visit in three years and was declared through with menopause. At first I was thrilled. No more hot flashes (which I had noticed had ended months ago), no more concerns. Then last night I realized I was done with that part of my life. I've always thought that menopause and my fibro were related but I'll never be sure. Anyway, one way or another, these diseases sure make a mess of our bodies!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to serand4 For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (05-23-2011)