I'm quite newly diagnosed, and wondering how to balance the relationship between my primary care provider (like him) and my rheumatologist(love him!).

I had a really bed experience with my last family doc. I gave him way too many chances to tell me I was crazy. So about a month ago, I switched to a new fella. He cares a lot, and spends excellent amounts of time with me. He lets me ask questions and really listens. But I went to see him today, and told him about my Rheumy putting me on Plaquenil and a tapering dose of Prednisone. He hates that I'm on steroids, and he really wants me off of them. He suggested that instead of tapering by the week, as my rheumy prescribed, I knock the doses down every 3 days. He also said, "You know, Plaquenil really weakens your immune system." I wanted to scream, "THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! SO IT STOPS TRYING TO KILL ME!"

My main problem right now is the question of who to obey. I'm afraid, since the Rheumy is my hero, and he's telling me all the things I've been longing to hear for a year, that I'm ignoring valid points from the PCP. On the other hand, the PCP obviously doesn't have a lot of experience with patients with autoimmune diseases.

Have any of you had this problem? Any suggestions on how to mesh these two very different docs into one treatment plan would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sharpie