Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plaquenil and alcohol?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Plaquenil and alcohol?

I've read a few things that it's not recommended that you drink while taking Plaquenil due to the increased chance of having renal failure. Other sites don't mention anything about it. I know this is an obvious question, but does anyone on Plaquenil drink? Has anybody heard anything else about this? Thanks.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh are ya not? oh well i do every weekend......and have done for a few years now too, my dr nos so does the eye bloke, never mind

ISDM
    xxx
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I take 200mg plaquenil twice a day, and I drink, but I drink in moderation. I'll have two or three beers, or a couple of mixed drinks maybe once a week. I've asked my Dr. about this and he's OK with it, as long as it's in moderation. The thing I find many of us need to look out for is not plaquenil, but naproxen. I take naproxen sodium nsaid for inflammation, and it can give me an awful stomach ache that would be even worse If I drank too much alcohol. Just be careful.

Rob

Thanks

My stomach condition makes drinking nearly impossible. But I am still a smoker, so which is worse, I don't know. I had quit smoking for a year when our plant got a superviser that specialized in bullying. Of course according to this boss I was just a slacker, hence I returned to smoking. Since, I have had a series of flares that left me too exhausted to do the activities that I prefer, hence the smoking has been harder to give up.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i have nephritis so i was also very worried about this. i asked my nephrologist about the drinking thing, and he said it's fine to have a few drinks here and there, just don't overdo it.

he's an expert on renal problems, so i'm going to take his word for it
    23 year old clinical psychology grad student with lupus (SLE) and nephritis
    Medications: CellCept, Plaquenil, Prednisone, Lisinopril, Lipitor, OsCal+D

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks guys. yeah i've been a little scared to, but i've only been on the plaquenil just over 3 weeks. i've pretty much designated myself the designated designated driver. i don't have a follow up with my rheumatologist for another to months so just needed some advice.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

my nephrologist is ok with occassional drinking as well. However, i have found that one or two drinks is the max i can now stand. I find myself quickly tight, and have to quit before gets worse....my tolerance is much lower, but i don't know why.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

phyllis, i've noticed this as well. my tolerance has gone way down recently. sometimes just 1 drink gives me a horrible headache and i just don't feel well.
    23 year old clinical psychology grad student with lupus (SLE) and nephritis
    Medications: CellCept, Plaquenil, Prednisone, Lisinopril, Lipitor, OsCal+D

Thanks

Red face

I've had the same question. I'm a high school teacher, and a drink on Friday evening is essential to my mental health! I haven't had a problems with a weekend drink or so since I've been on Plaquenil. My question is this - what about Methotrexate?
    I'm supposed to start it as soon as I get off of antibiotics on May 15. I would still like to enjoy my weekend drinks. I'm also about to move to very near the wine country in California. I would REALLY hate to not be able to drink wine with a meal or cook with it.
    Anyone have any experience with this?
    Marla

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    my nephrologist is ok with occassional drinking as well. However, i have found that one or two drinks is the max i can now stand. I find myself quickly tight, and have to quit before gets worse....my tolerance is much lower, but i don't know why.
    I used to have quite a tolerance for alcohol, but, like you guys, I'm a cheap drunk now too. Probably a combination of my age, health, as well as a decrease in my overall consumption of alcohol. I could close down the bar in my younger days, then put in a full days work without much more than a mild headache and a little fatigue. Today, I feel far worse than hungover most mornings, and I've not had a single drink. There's something fundamentally wrong with waking up with something worse than a hangover from hell, and you didn't even get to at least have the fun the night before. If Lupus was a company, I'd write a strongly worded letter of protest and complaint, and I'd ask for my money back.
    Last edited by rob; 05-03-2009 at 05:39 PM.