Thread: What's the best medications you've tried?

Thanks

Default What's the best medications you've tried?

Which medications have helped you the best as far as tackling the fatigue and pain both?

Thanks

Mary I am not sure if any one medication tackles fatigue and pain. Usually it involves a combination of medications and lifestyle changes. As I have only been diagnosed for less than a year, someone else may have some better answers for you. The fatigue for me at the beginning was as a result of having anaemia. I was put on iron tablets, but it did not control the anaemia, until I had a hysterectomy. My anaemia improved after a month, but because of complications from the operation, the fatigue only improved slightly. Now the fatigue is back, worse than before. I have a feeling that it may be because my joint pain has increased over the last few months. Perhaps if I had sufficient pain medication and pain control the fatigue would improve.

So as you can see, fatigue has many causes, and you really need to treat the cause of the fatigue. Most of the time the cause of the fatigue cannot be found.

The same can be said about treating pain. At the moment, among a lot of joint pain, I have a huge amount of pain in my foot. I take pain killers, but they only just take the edge off the pain. I am being tested for Morton's Neuroma. Normally there are specific treatments, but because I have Lupus, there are other reasons why I could have this disorder. So my doctor will order a different treatment.

Sorry I cannot give you the answers that you were looking for, but Lupus is such a mysterious disease, how it manifests is very different for everyone, as well as how people are treated. For example, when I was diagnosed Lupus had started to attack my kidneys, but it resolved with just Plaqenil. Others with the same degree of kidney involvement need steroids, and chemo therapy. Therefore, what works for one person may not work for another person.

Hopefully you and your doctor can find something that works for you. The main advice I can give you is to make sure that you eat a VERY healthy diet and do some exercise.
    Last edited by Linda From Australia; 05-16-2011 at 05:46 AM.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

ferrini (05-25-2011), Saysusie (05-16-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I have to agree with Linda. Just like this disease modifies and changes in how it attacks us so do the medicines we need for them. When I first started on meds 400 mg of Plaquenil and 5 mil. pred. helped. Then as my disease progressed 20 mg of steroids and MTX isn't cutting it. I currently take 10 different meds (down from 12) and each of them do different things because of the parts of me lupus is attacking. What works for one of us doesn't always work for another. It is a trial and error type of thing! Hope you find what works for you quickly!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

ferrini (05-25-2011), Saysusie (05-16-2011)

Thanks

Mary i'll let you know when i'm sorted out with what operations need doing and they finally decide to start me on something, as my body can't take much more but i do know the plaquenil was great concerning the skin, i'll give that drug a 10/10 where that's concerned anyday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

ferrini (05-25-2011)