Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You are faking your illness

Thanks

Next time you get wind that your toxic co-worker is spewing her garbage, go up to her and call her BOB. She'll say that her name's not BOB. Of course, it's not, but BOB is an acronym for Back Off B*tch! Hahahahah!

Seriously, I'm not confrontational and would be hurt by a co-worker doing this to me. When I was newly hired at my cirrent POE, I heard through the grapevine that someone (a typist of all people) referred to me as a Bimbo. My head spun around about five times. Is it because I'm caucasian and blonde and she's, um, not? I'd never, ever been referred to as a bimbo and it really hurt my feelings. In a prior job, a secretary flat out told me that Paralegals were never required to think (presumably because their duties were primarily related to conducting discovery in litigation cases). So, I'd had some experience with support staff feeling threatened by people that actually had a brain and weren't afraid to use it. Obviously, that's what this typist was feeling because I was shaking things up and making people actually work for their paycheck *gasp*.

I digress.

Sounds like your co+worker has a chip on her shouler and it has nothing to do with you, personally. It's her problem, but it impacts you. Go to HOUR and lodge a complaint before it spirals out of control and the bully starts beating you down.

Sorry for the typos. The roller on my Blackberry isn't working properly (again) and I refuse to spend ANOTHER $30 to fix it because my contract expires in 3 months and I can finally change providers so I can get cell service at our "new" home....woo hoo!

Thanks

Whoa! It always amazes how cruel people can be to one another. My heart goes out to all of you who have been verbally abused and bullied. I don't think you should lie down and take it, especially at work. Your employer does have an obligation to protect you from harassment. Blood relatives are much harder. Maryalice, I especially feel for you with your children being so cruel. Obviously they learned from a master. Instead of a dead fish, maybe Rob should send a cat with digestive trouble.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, as you can see, many of us have been subjected to the same things as you. I would venture to say that 1 our of every 3 Lupus patients have been subjected to this cruelty (or ignorance - take your pick).
    From reading these posts, some of us have been more seriously attacked than others. But, the degree of the insult does not matter. The fact that we still have to hear it at all is just outrageous to me.

I agree with the advice that, since this is occurring on your job, you have the right to report her and to have the harassment stopped. In the meantime, try not to let her ignorance affect you emotionally as you do not need any more stress. I truly hope that this situation is corrected soon.

Wishing you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Im sure most people can relate to this post. Personally i have been told this many of times mainly from my peers, and i thought it would get better the older i was but it got worse. When i have a flare and it gets hard for me to walk i use a wheelchair, and the students think just because i wasnt in a wheelchair the day before they assume im faking it because they assume i just dont feel like walking and i just want to be pushed around, but i actuallity i would give anything just to stand without pain. But people dont realize these things and how their words can affect you. Ive learned now to simply ingore ingorance.
    Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is Godís will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
    -1 THESSALONIANS 5:16-18

5. The Following User Says Thank You to noonie_baybee For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (05-25-2011)

Thanks

Jayrah,

Good comment mate, i have this when using my wheelchair or scooter and it does'nt help when you live next door to an elderly couple who say you do look better today, then when i'm out either in my wheelchair or scooter being stopped with them and being asked questions, they think because they're in their 80's and i'm 42 i should be kicking well in life, it's getting to the stage where alot of we should buy a PARROT and switch it on when certain ignorant people are seen, oh it all gets me so riled up.

Well growing up in the uk and being ill for so many years, i've actually found elderly people to be really ignorant and they're always top priority.
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-25-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks

I think this discussion really falls into the "But you look healthy.." category. We don't always look as ill as we feel so many people just don't understand.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. So far (newly diagnosed) this hasn't happened outright to me but I will admit this is one of my big fears. I suspect people of thinking I am faking (even my family members) and often find myself trying to justify my actions/choices/need for rest.

It is easier for me to give advice than to take it...so I will tell you that we don't have to justify anything. We have an illness (period!). In addition, they are right and you don't have to put up with someone speaking ill of you. As someone else said, a quiet word with a supervisor might be enough. Maybe this person truly is ignorant of the disease. I know I didn't know what it was before diagnosis...and I would like to hope that most comments aren't malicious...though I know that mean people do exist.

Best of luck and best wishes.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunny28 For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (05-27-2011), SandyR (05-27-2011)

Thanks

Hi Bunny28,

Your right about the discussion and nobody should have to answer to anyone in life but some can really make you feel abliged to do so.

No one will ever know this disease unless they have it themselves.