Thread: Does anyone do a sport? What type?

Thanks

Default Does anyone do a sport? What type?

I used to be active, and I still try to the best of my abilities. Generally this means I attend maybe 30% of training namely due to injury, and few actual games. The problem is I like dangerous sports. Right now, I play Roller Derby. Against all medical advice.

I fell a month ago...like a normal fall in the sport (contact sport), lots of protective gear and very clean fall. People do it ALL the time. I broke a rib and dislocated my shoulder! It's ridiculously unfair! Last time I fell I badly injured my neck and needed months of rehab.

I know my body isn't strong and it really cant handle much. At what point do you have to give in, or do you pursue a sport that gives you pleasure despite the obstacles? I know im not at the point of giving up yet. I still feel young at times (says the 28yr old in bed at 1pm, too exhausted to get up still) but I need outlets, I crave the social life that seems to be slipping further and further away

Does anyone play any sports, do things they probably shouldn't? Or at what point did you have to give these things up?

Thanks

This is a really tough question. I have just been told by my physio and rheumatologist that I need to cut down on the very little physio and exercise that I am doing because of the amount of pain I am suffering. I try to do up to 2 hours of 'physio/exercise' a day to keep myself active, joints moving, and hopefully to increase and improve my health. I thought about not telling them how much pain I am in, but then at the age of 48, I thought I had better listen to them. They also told me if it hurts to swim, not to swim. So the stubborn and independent me just swims very slow instead. It still hurts, but I am determined to exercise as long as I can. Every few weeks the physio stops me from doing more and more, and changing my physio to keep my joints and muscles moving as gentle as possible.

I would like to know what medical advice you have been given, and what, if you have, changes have you made.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

First off let me say my mom would have LOVED you! She adored watching Roller Derby!! She was a prim and proper "Emily Post" type of woman but she sure could get redneck watching Derby!

I was never much of a sports person due partly to the fact that I am...umm... heavy on the top half. LOL I will say that even normal activities cause me pain and health issues so I can't imagine sports right now. If you are able to do it then go for it but be very careful because we already have an over active immune system and if you get sick or hurt then it makes it work even more.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I enjoy walking but cannot do this without pain meds anymore but i am not going to stop because it would make the joints worse. Bonita

Thanks

I use to play tennis, I was the only girl in high school football team, softball, cycling and I loved to play other sports too. One big tom-boy. Roller derby though sounds like a total blast! CJ, right on. Although, now it is hard for me to even walk, a lot of the time so, I enjoy relaxing when I can and make the most out of it. I look at life differently now and I do feel lucky. Who knows though, maybe I will have a remission?

I sure do hope the very best and fun times for everyone.

-Dana

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Do motorsports count? If so, I'm in the process of getting my NHRA Dragster License, and I'll be racing/competing as much as my body will allow me to.

I'll be driving this-

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/album.p...achmentid=3413

Thanks

Im trying to get my head around the idea of stopping playing. Im just getting slower and slower, recovery time from the simplest issues are getting longer and longer. Coupled with the extreme muscle fatigue after every training session, it's not looking like I can do it much longer. I can't run at all or play games like tennis due to my joints, yet somehow ive managed this sport! Strange world!

Its interesting to hear others need pain killers to get through 'normal' activities too.

Thanks

@tgal: LOL, I'm top heavy, too!

I used to be very active but with athritis there is only so much you can do. I swim regularly and I walk everywhere I can. I've stopped horse riding after a fall where I broke my shoulder (five years ago) and I'm still suffering from it. It's just not worth it.

Getting through the day without painkillers is my daily challenge! I hope I'm winning today, so far so good!

Thanks

Well CJ,

Mines definitely riding at 8mph on my electric scooter and dragging my poor staff in the proceeds.lol
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-18-2011 at 11:58 AM.