Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did your symptoms begin?

Thanks

Did any of you experience fatigue before the pain? I'm starting to think maybe I do fit more in the criteria of CFIDS than autoimmune disease. Thanks for all the reply's. I'm glad you all like this thread.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

fatigue is a huge part for all of us. I was tired for years and couldn't ever catch up. Someone here called it a "lead blanket" feeling and that is the best way to describe it. No amount of sleep helps nor does "getting yourself motivated". That is actually the what "The Spoon Theory" is about. It is a type of fatigue that you can't explain to anyone. For me I began to feel like I was lazy or slacking off but there was nothing I could do about it. Still can't. There are tons of threads about the fatigue. It is one of the few symptoms that almost all of us share.

I don't know if you have lupus or not but the fatigue thing is one of the worst parts of this disease for many of us
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Im pretty sure my problems started when I was really little but all my problems were so vague. I coined the name "old lady Brittney" at like the age of 4. Always had tummy aches and headaches and would get really sore out of no where all the time. I did cheerleading all the time so my complaining didnt go over well. I've been hearing to suck it up my whole life lol then in middle school around 12 I was tired all the time, really depressed. But some days I was a ball of energy and others didnt want to move. Everyone told me I was depressed which is why I was tired, but I think it was the other way around. I never felt good. Constant headaches, constant stomach aches, used to get strep throat all the time. Around the same time I started having periods of being incredibly thirsty all the time and always having a dry mouth, and was thoroughly convinced I had diabetes. Then right after I started high school my fingers starting turning white but I didnt think much of it until they looked black all the time and I could never feel them. Finally my regular pediatric doctor refered my to a rheumy at Childrens after I started getting ulcers and it only took her a few visits to decide it was lupus. Since then I've had my recent problems with vasculitis, joint pain, inflammation just about everywhere, rashes, sun sensitivity. Thats alot in 18 years when I type it all out like that lol
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

I'm going to let my PCP decide if it's autoimmune or not and leave it at that. But I know the fatigue I have just totally ruined me. The pain is bad too but it's nothing like the fatigue I experience. I don't even think I could spend the rest of my life dealing with it, it's so bad. That's why I am so depending on these medications for MCTD to work. I am definetly going to have to take the time and read through all these posts.

I'm sorry you all have had so many problems throughout all this. I really hope your meds at least keep it managable for you all.

Thanks

I'm fairly sure my symptoms actually started when i was about 36. I stayed tired and cold all the time. Also i had bouts of anxiey but just assumed it was from the stress of being in Law inforcement. After i had my last daughter when i was forty two it seemed that more symptoms started one after the other but i still never thought about Lupus. I was diagnosed with Atypical connective Tissue disease and Thyroid then. I started having a strange vibrating feeling in the bottoms of my feet and really bad muscle pain. Then around October of last year i started having mega eye problems. Dry eyes and mouth, dry cracking skin and a forty pound weight gain in just a matter of a couple of months. I still thought it was my Thyroid. In Feb i started with ulcers in my mouth and nose. Then blisters in my eyes. I started having very bad sun sensitivity and swelling in my legs and fingers This is about the same time i was diagnosed with Lupus. I have had chest pains for a couple of years and have had stress test done with everything coming out fine with my heart. I just recently had my first bout with Pleurisy. Today i have blisters in my mouth and sores on my scalp. And it changes every day.

Thanks

I agree, very interesting thread and learning about others, on how it all started for each of them.

For me, I had a serious chemical reaction at work from mothballs and mothball crystals that I had been handling bare handed and breathing in those chemicals, for over six months, everyday during work, back in 2001. I broke out in blisters all over my face and neck, I mean covered in them. I had some breathing issues too. I went to my family doctor and a dermatoligust. I received many, steriod shots, steriod creams and steriod pills. It took over 2 months for the blisters to go away and I went back to work into a different department, although, the overwhelming mothball stink was to much for me. So, I quit!!

So, 4 years after that, my dermatoligust did a skin byoptsy on my cheek and it came back positive for Lupus DLE. Ok, so in 6/2010 I was DX with severe Fibromyalgia, by my rherumy doctor and 2/2011 DX with SLE, by my PCP.

I think that the long term exposure to those mothball chemicals in 2001, gave me Lupus and my Fibro. Although what do I know?

-Dana

Thanks

Fatigue is a major issue with Lupus, it makes me feel like just walking is an effort or just getting in the shower it sounds bad but that's how it drains you down for many of us without medication but even member's who take meds still have that bad.

Mine started from 5yrs old as a good many of you know, then 18yrs old my life went bang for me and over the years suffered with different things but the last 3yrs i've gone down hill quicker than i can say BOO it's surprising how alot of us felt ok and then bang your full of symptoms, this Lupus as a great deal to answer for, besides making you ill,it can make you feel like your lifes wrecked.

Thanks

I've been sitting and thinking about it and I have been saying I believe I have been sick for about 2 1/2 years...but in hindsight their were signs before that. Extreme fatigue after sleeping for 8 or more hours or after being in the sun for short periods. The disease really starting rearing it's ugly head back in 2009. I had "the flu" all the time. That or this or that infection. Not true...I think doctors were just giving me antibiotics to get me out of their hair. That's the only way I can describe the symptoms that presented themselves over and over again...enough to where I knew there was more going on with my body. It was/is the flu to the tenth power.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    fatigue is a huge part for all of us. I was tired for years and couldn't ever catch up. Someone here called it a "lead blanket" feeling and that is the best way to describe it.
    That was me but I couldn't find that thread.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

To your first question, my first symptom was what I thought was a sun allergy - One summer at about 23 years old, I started getting hives from sun exposure.

To your second question, I think I had fatigue before any else I realized. I was quite probably misdiagnosed with mononucleuosis (as lupus can cause false positive blood test apparently), in 2003 and felt that same kind of fatigue for weeks at a time on and off over then several years. I was only diagnosed this year 2011.