Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did your symptoms begin?

Thanks

Default How did your symptoms begin?

How did your symptoms first present?
    Last edited by merryalliss30; 06-05-2011 at 01:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merryalliss30 For This Useful Post:

SandyR (05-12-2011), tgal (05-12-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Great thread! I'm still in diagnostic limbo and my symptoms come and go but when I looked back, and I mean looked really long and hard, they began around 16. First was a tendonitis diagnosis and a wierd 24hr virus/fever thing (wierd for me because before that I had only ever been sick with the chicken pox). Then suddenly it was strep-throat and bronchitis outbreaks every few months and complaints from my family about my hair clogging the drains in the shower. Then it stabled off - except the hair thing - and in my 2nd year of college I suddenly developed severe IBS and Lactose Intolerance. Leveled off again for a few years and then add Allergies and Sinus issues. Now I was in my mid 20's. In the later 20's I had several sicknesses and rashes and aches that would suddenly come on and disappear. Now I'm in my mid 30's and I realize that those were flares. I've lived in 3 states and seen 5 doctors over that time and have been tested time and again for Lupus but it wasn't until about 2 years ago that I myself realized that all of these things were probably related and it wasn't ever something that "showed" in the blood, although multiple doctors have suspected me of having it.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

Desleywr (05-09-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

This is a great thread! Never say you are sorry for starting discussions. That is what we do here *grins*. Like Sandy I look back and see my first flare when I was in High School. I always had many female problems and cysts etc but nothing out of the ordinary. Knowing what I know now I had a classic flare. The fatigue was so bad for about 2 weeks my mom took me to the doctor. Dr. said I had high cholesterol but that he couldn't find anything else. It eventually cleared itself up and it was forgotten.

From that point on I had some odd things happen. My hand would just drop things that I was holding and I had problems with my toes getting numb etc but nothing I went to the doctor for. The only doctor that I saw for 20+ years was the OBGYN. Then about 5 years ago my gallbadder started acting up. I NEVER went to the doctor but this was horrible and I went and they removed it. From that point on nothing has been the same (literally. I got MRSA staph while at the hospital). I still didn't go to the doctor but I kept getting worse and worse. Finally during Thanksgiving week two years ago I was taken to the ER. From that point on it has been doctor after doctor. All the things that they were asking me had been going on for years but I just thought I was getting old! Nope... I was getting Lupus!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

LOL Okay.

I was 26 when the fatigue started, but there are other things that were going on at a younger age, the reason I didn't mention it is because I don't feel like it impacted my health, it didn't make me feel ill or anything, but I've had hives since I was little and kept the snibbles. During my teenage years I had problems with the sun as far as it giving me headaches, nausea, and making me feel drained. At age 17, is when my anxiety started, and I'd hyperventilate, my body would get stiff and numb all over and really painful. I also went through some depression from the relationship I was in, that was bringing on the anxiety attacks. My cholesterol started getting out of wack in my early 20's. I would get bored too easy & I'd sleep it off when it would happen. When I was pregnant I think age 23, I had severe dental pain and got my first UTI. After she was born, I got some urinary frequency, but it wasn't horrible, like it was just 10-15 times a day. I also had horrible menstrual issues and I don't miss that uterus one bit. lol. I don't think that stuff really relates to why I got sick. I think maybe picking up the smoking habit at age 17 might have been a bad idea.

Thanks

Great thread, Mine begin (Only guessing) 2003 with vertigo, fatigue, numbness and my legs felt like walking into cement. Then its everything now. Wish I had those days back ;-)

Hugs
    Liz

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow, when haven't I had signs/symptoms?! lol When I was little they tested me for all sorts of things because of my "growing pains". I was VERY sun sensitive. I remember one time in particular that my mom wanted to brush my hair and I wouldn't even come down off the stairs cuz my scalp was burnt so bad! I've always had "arthritis" pain that would come & go. When I was about 30ish is when I think I started having issues w/brain fog & fatigue. Then came the pins & needles, chest pains & complete weakness. Oh and we can't forget the lovely vasculitis rash that I get - blech! I'm 40 now and got diagnosed 2 yrs ago, or was it 3? I can't remember anymore! LOL
    Lauren

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

my symptoms were not symptoms at the time. when i was about 5 i had fainting problems. at school, i could be top of the class one day and couldnt think the next. i was never fast at sport, and always unco-ordinated. but as i grew older i realised my flexability would change from day to day. (i now know it was my joints becoming enflamed). i was never good under stress, so i learnt how to become mechanical,or robotic, when under stress. i then didnt need to think. i spent 12 years in the airforce, (and was regularly tested for everything as part of the job). no body could find any cause for what was wrong with me. i just had issues that were beyond explanation.
    in my twenties, i had eye issues, joint flexability issues, pain that came and went without explanation, bad brain fog, several mental breakdowns. but i was supposedly healthy. i was diagnosed 3 years ago, when i had bad pain in my knees. (i feared it was blood clots, and i was flying to and from work, in the mines).

Thanks

That had to be a tough job holding down and being sick. I know the military doesn't care what's going on with you, they make you get up and work regardless.

Thanks

Excellent thread, you won't want to know the lot.lol because it's a never ending story.

Mine started at 5yrs old being completely cold all the time and carried on from there till i was 14 then i had autissum start and from 18 onwards seizure's etc, until they diagnosed me 3yrs ago with Lupus and everything i'd gone through was from the Lupus and i was also born with it.

If i was to type all the lot my BOOK would be selling tomorrow, like so many off we.

Thanks

great thread! I recently became very ill, with severe chest pain (pericarditis) later pericardial effusion, lung collapse, deep vain trombosis and pulmonery embolism. Was hospitalized 6 times fo rall this. Later discovered I had gastroperecis and Avascular Necrosis of both knees. All this withing a span of about 6 months. I started looking back and realized I've always had Lupus symtoms since I can remember. As a child I use to double up in stomach pain as to this day I still do. I've always had migraines and severe allergies. The sun has always made me break out, so I just thought I was "allergic" to this sun. Being a child without health insurance my mom rarely took me to see a doctor. During my first preagnancy I stayed in bed about 90% of the time and had zero energy which everyone attributed to my preagnance. I had two miscarriages and suffered with chest pains for decades. Im sure there were more symptoms, I just cant even think right now.