Beccaj

A bit of venting after a rough day

Rate this Entry
I apologize, but I need to vent for a bit. Today started out fine, a normal Wednesday. Got to the hospital around 7:15am to start my four hour round of Plasmapheresis. Found out my platelets increased on their own from 52,000 to 60,000, so I was pretty happy about that. The Doctor informed me that they needed to remove the catheter in my neck because it had been in for too long (they are supposed to last two weeks, mine had been in for 7 weeks). I knew this was coming, so I wasn't surprised. They had an opening in outpatient radiology for 2:00 pm, so I said "Why not? Might as well get it over with". We went down and got ready. I informed the Doctor that I needed to have an extra line to draw blood from since I have horrible veins. He said that was fine. I went in and had the procedure done, which for some reason hurt way worse than I remember (they only use a local numbing agent on the area). I got back to the outpatient room and realized that I had no port to draw blood from. I called the Doctor back in and they took me back down to have the one they just put in taken out and the right one put in. They re-stitched me and sent me home after saying "Just take some Tylenol before bed". I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, but how am I supposed to sleep when it hurts to move my head and even to breathe? I really hope that the stress that this caused won't set me back on my recovery!
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

OMG I am so sorry you had to go through that! I know that doctors and nurses have to harden themselves in order to deal with all the pain and death they see but they also need to remember that it is people that they are dealing with and not simply "patients". I hope you are feeling a bit better. I am sorry I didn't see this before today!