PDA

View Full Version : Are your children also sun-sensitive?

bunny28
04-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi there;

My son is 2 years old, actually closer to three. I have noticed he gets rashes easily since birth and often wondered about his sensitivity to the sun. He LOVES being outside and we are usually pretty careful though I will admit to re-applying suncscreen more diligently to myself. Anyway, tpday, I know for sure that the rash came from the sun and it was in an area I missed of sun screen application the first time. He also seemed to have the some post-sun issues that reminded me of myself.

Anyway, this is the first summer that I have been diagnosed with Lupus. Before this I thought I had a sun allergy and that he had a mild one. Now my mind is speeding forward wondering what exactly this means about his hearlth, etc.

So I want to hear if any of your children also show sun sensitivity and whether or not they have other auto-immune issues.

Thanks,
Bunny

tgal
04-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Bunny. I will tell you that my daughter has been going to a Rhuemy even longer then I have. She started having joint and rash trouble at about 6. They didn't find anything wrong so she was sent back to her GP. When I became ill her doctor tested her and everything seemed normal but he wanted her to go back. She went to see the head Rhuemy a a Children's Hospital in Houston (she is almost 16). Once again her tests were normal but she has what COULD be a malar rash on her face and with all the joint issues she was put on a med for chronic pain (low dose) to take every night. They want to watch her. She has to go to her GP every 3 months and the Rhuemy every 6.

If your son is showing possible symptoms of the disease I suggest you go ahead and take him to the doctor. As my daughters Rhuemy told her " the good news is that we know to watch you. If anything were to ever happen we will catch it quickly and you won't have to get to the place your mom is". Same applies for you. Get him looked at so it can be caught before any of the bad stuff happens just to be safe

Just my 2 cents worth!

bunny28
05-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Just bumping for new eyes. Anyone else have sun-sensitive kids?

magistramarla
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, I have five sun-sensitive kids and three sun-sensitive grandsons. We are a pale-skinned, blue-eyed family.
Here's the run-down on my kids:
Heather, 34 - She's very healthy, but has always burned easily.
Hillary, 32 - Has been extremely sun sensitive all of her life. Has Polycystic ovarian syndrome, gluten intolerance, and lactose intolerance. May be pre-diabetic.
Tom, 28 - Healthy, but burns easily.
Kayla, 26 - Very pale skinned and blond. Has chronic asthma and allergies; recently diagnosed with IBS. (her son also has asthma & allergies and possible gluten intolerance)
Meghan, 24 -Pale-skinned and burns easily. Has had several bouts of endometriosis. Has weak joints and cartilage issues.

Like you, I worry that my kids will someday suffer with what I have. I know that my mother and aunt had it.
Hugs,
Marla

Gizmo
05-04-2011, 07:49 PM
My 19 year old is photosensitive and was diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disease about 4 years ago, but her current rheumy thinks she will eventually be diagnosed with lupus. Plaquinil and methotrexate have helped with the photosensitivity.