PDA

View Full Version : New symptom ??

froger44
04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Haven't been on in awhile, haven't felt good and my husband was in the hospital. Went to the dr yesterday and thank goodness gave me something for sleep, which I hadn't done much of in 3 weeks. I had him look at my lower legs. I have had weird coloring in splotches for a few weeks. He said it was chronic venus iinsufficiency . Is this something that normally goes along with Lupus ?

Peridot20_Gem
04-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Hello froger44,

Sorry to hear you've not been to good and i hope your husband is feeling better.

Chronic venos insufficiency comes from systemic Lupus and it's a form of Ulcers to the legs, i'm adding some info regarding it below for you.

Do takecare Terri xxx

Venous Insufficiency Diagnosis

Venous insufficiency is characterized by impaired blood flow through the veins. Your veins are responsible for transporting blood from the various parts of your body back to the heart. The legs are the most commonly affected area. Venous insufficiency is the result of another medical condition.

Causes
In normally functioning veins, blood flows steadily from the limbs back up to the heart. Valves within the veins keep the blood from flowing backwards. Venous insufficiency occurs when this flow towards the heart is blocked or when blood leaks backwards through the damaged valves. Most people with venous insufficiency have both problems.

Varicose veins and blood clots account for a majority of cases. Weakened leg muscles responsible for moving blood forward are another possible cause.
Symptoms
The following symptoms are common of venous insufficiency. Edema (swelling), changes in skin color, skin ulcers, uncomfortable sensations in the legs and feet like burning and throbbing, cramping and leg weakness.
Risk Factors
Certain risk factors increase your chances of experiencing venous insufficiency. As it was previously mentioned, varicose veins and blood clots are linked to this condition. Older people are more likely to experience problems. Inactivity, obesity, a family history, pregnancy, muscle weakness, cancer and leg injuries also increase your risk.
Conventional Treatment
Several treatment options are available. Prescription compression stockings are the most common treatment. These specially made stockings exert pressure on the ankle and lower leg; this improves blood flow and reduces swelling. Your doctor will decide which stocking is most appropriate for you. If you have a leg ulcer, you will receive special medicated wraps that reduce swelling and help heal the sore.

Certain self-care strategies can help you further reduce the swelling. Keep your legs above your heart when lying down. Exercise will improve your circulation. If you are overweight, losing excess pounds will help.

If blood clots are causing your venous insufficiency, you will need prescription anticoagulants like Coumadin. These medications address existing clots and prevent new ones from forming.