PDA

View Full Version : the frustration of dealing with the uneducated

ruziska
04-25-2011, 10:36 PM
I was "officially" diagnosed with lupus last month. This after living 15 years with what I thought was rheumatoid arthritis. I miss ra. Seriously, I knew what I was dealing with but lupus is a whole new ballgame and the bs I get from people is ridiculous. I wasn't a whiner when I thought it was ra and I'm not one now. What I am, is someone who, after raising her kids and getting them out on her own, is FINALLY taking proper care of herself. This means practicing the word "NO". Taking time for MYSELF (what a concept). Not denying that I'm sick anymore. God Bless the family and friends who truly love me and are there for me. God help me survive the rest of them. The ones who say things like: "hmm, interesting you get diagnosed with lupus and suddenly you have all those symptoms". Or "lupus isn't that bad, it's not like it will kill you". How about "so you get Lupus and decide not to look for another job?" ( I was suddenly fired last year for reasons unrelated to the illness and totally incorrect). One of my favorites: "lucky you, get to do whatever you want whenever you want and sleep all you want" Now THERE'S a fantasy.
Those people fall into the category of "hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person". I don't even bother to try. I just shake my head a walk away. Too much energy wasted otherwise.

steve.b
04-25-2011, 11:50 PM
it is hard to fly like an eagle.............
when you are living with a bunch of turkeys.

BonusMom
04-26-2011, 03:34 AM
My brother's wife (I have another name for her) had the audacity to say I was making myself sick. How, prey tell, does one make themselves sick with SLE? Yes, there is Munchausen's, however, positive ANAs and such cannot be faked. I know the truth and so do my doctors.

I have nothing to prove to that douche bag, or anybody else, and I don't waste my energy worrying about what she thinks. I have eliminated toxic people from my life and find it very liberating. I would never have had the courage/strength to do it prior to getting dx with all of these chronic illnesses, so perhaps that's the silver lining....learning to stand up for myself.

ritzbit
04-26-2011, 03:52 AM
My brother's wife (I have another name for her) had the audacity to say I was making myself sick. How, prey tell, does one make themselves sick with SLE? Yes, there is Munchausen's, however, positive ANAs and such cannot be faked. I know the truth and so do my doctors.

I have nothing to prove to that douche bag, or anybody else, and I don't waste my energy worrying about what she thinks. I have eliminated toxic people from my life and find it very liberating. I would never have had the courage/strength to do it prior to getting dx with all of these chronic illnesses, so perhaps that's the silver lining....learning to stand up for myself.

My 14 year old brother told me I was faking being sick too. I guess I'm just that lazy of a person that I fake being sick just to make him set the table for dinner instead of me.

rob
04-26-2011, 09:13 AM
I was at a social gathering last year where there was this family "friend" who was talking all sorts of crap. The guy is an obnoxious wannabe know-it-all, and was talking about how diseases like Lupus, and other autoimmune disorders were just fake "made up diseases" that allowed lazy people to sit around and collect disability while living a life of work-free comfort.

I asked him if he had ever heard of the affliction known as picking up your teeth off the ground with broken fingers. I told him rather colorfully that I would be happy to educate him. He departed that evening rather quickly. Whenever I show up at a family get together to this day, he still leaves. If he knows I'll be there ahead of time, he doesn't even show up. Apparently he's not as stupid as he looks.

Unfortunately, some people just don't get it. Stupidity can be terminal in some cases.

Rob

tgal
04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I was at a social gathering last year where there was this family "friend" who was talking all sorts of crap. The guy is an obnoxious wannabe know-it-all, and was talking about how diseases like Lupus, and other autoimmune disorders were just fake "made up diseases" that allowed lazy people to sit around and collect disability while living a life of work-free comfort.

I asked him if he had ever heard of the affliction known as picking up your teeth off the ground with broken fingers. I told him rather colorfully that I would be happy to educate him. He departed that evening rather quickly. Whenever I show up at a family get together to this day, he still leaves. If he knows I'll be there ahead of time, he doesn't even show up. Apparently he's not as stupid as he looks.

Unfortunately, some people just don't get it. Stupidity can be terminal in some cases.

Rob

As theh kids say " Lovin me some Rob!" LOL