PDA

View Full Version : Methrotrexate -side effects etc.

PattyLatty
12-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Went to rheumy today hoping she would increase plaquenil and stop prednisone, but she didn't. Said to continue 400 mg plaquenil, increase prednisone to 20 mg, and she started me on 10 mg methotrexate once a week. Also actonel to fight osteoporosis. What do you know about methotrexate? My stomach is already upset from prednisone, not to mention 9 pounds I have gained in 3 weeks. Both methotrexate ;and actonel can cause gastric distress. Has anyone lost hair because of methotrexate?

I sound like a worrywart, don't I. Hubby told me mexotrexate is a form of chemotherapy and I guess I'm so worn out from all this, and getting depressed, that it's a little overwhelming.

Time for an attitude adjustment. Light my candles, make a cup of hot tea, and get back to my knitting. I know from this forum that I have it so much better than so many of you.

Thanks for any info you have on these drugs. Hugs, blessing, and the hope that tomorrow will be a good day for all of us.

Pat

silverlioness
12-03-2005, 11:50 PM
I went the Rheumatologist this week too. After being off all my medicine for a year, I was ready to start taking it again. I was and am taking Celebrex and Plaquenil. But the Rheumatologist went off on this rant about how he thought methotrexate would be better for me than the Plaquenil then ranted about steroids for a while. He scared the crap out of me. I said I thought the Celebrex and Plaquenil would do for now. And he said if I had fatigue (which I very much do) that would be the best way to go anyway. I went through all the topics in this thread and read any previous discussions about it. It didn't look too scary to me. Our Rheumatologists must have went to the same conference recently though :lol:

PattyLatty
12-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Between the plaquenil, prednisone and now methotrexate, I now feel great!!! Better than I've felt in weeks. So it's working. My husband asked a doctor friend who's a pediatric oncologist and about metotrexate she told him she prescribes it to kids like she's passing out koolade. it's real mild, usually doesn't cause hair loss and she told him I'd probably start feeling better real soon. She was right.

catlady4520
12-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I was on 7.5 mg of methotrexate a week for over 2 yrs. It's one of the DMARDs (Disease Modifying Anti-rheumatic Drug). I didn't lose any hair and really didn't notice any side effects while taking it. It did help keep me from progressing to organ threatening lupus which I did finally develop this last April. Hope it goes well for you!

PattyLatty
12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
CatLady, I'm sorry your disease has progressed and you have organ involvement. What is your status?

I'm on 10 mg methotrexate, 20 mg prednisone and 400 mg plaquenil and finally feel my wonderful self again. So my disease is mild, and at my age, 56, it's doubtful it will progress too much. If I were a gambler, I'd put my money on rheumatoid arthritis rather than lupus. My 82 year old mother has rheumatoid arthritis and lupus but thankfully both are in remission. The rheumatoid arthritis started when she was in her 40's and the lupus when she was in her late 60's.

Do you still take predinsone? I love that it makes me feel sod, but boy, amd I HUNGRY!!!! Have been gaining weight and can't sleep. But it's worth not being sick. What's the longest you have been on it?

Thanks for your kind remarks. Let me know how you are doing. Pat