PDA

View Full Version : Tremor GONE! Could plaquenil be the culprit?

giggle
04-17-2011, 11:41 PM
My tremor is gone and I am more or less back to normal (as normal as one can be with lupus :) )

I still have this electrical pulse feeling in my neck, like an urge to move, but I do not believe the tremor is there any longer and I have regained as much control of my brain as I had prior to this whole ordeal.

I know now that the tremor has gone, the doctor is going to drop the whole thing and I will never know why I had this happen to me. But I was really really scared. And I DONT want it to happen again. Not to mention I can still feel the effects in my arms, I still have that restless leg feeling.

The symptoms either began when I very temporarily went off my plaquenil, or when I restarted again? Im not sure if this could be an issue but I want to get everything looked into that I possibly can. If all those symptoms return, I WILL NOT be able to function at the level I do currently. I WONT be able to work, anywhere, doing anything... and my quality of life would greatly decrease. So I am eager not to go back there!

Linda From Australia
04-18-2011, 12:34 AM
YIPEE Party time! You must be so relieved

Nonna
04-18-2011, 03:11 AM
So glad to hear it. Hope it continues
hugs and good thoughts your way,
nonna

tgal
04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
I know some people have a hard time with plaquenil but many, many others don't and it does help so much! If the plaquenil is working I don't think he will drop the whole thing I would think that he will leave you on in and see how things go for awhile.

I am really happy for you!

giggle
04-19-2011, 11:30 PM
OK doctor visit today... test results show I have anti thyroid antibodies, the doctor said an autoimmune thyroid problem but she doesnt feel totally comfortable being the one to give me that diagnosis so she is sending me to the local hospitals physician. First though, she has sent me for an MRI and put me on thyroxine. My CT scan was clear, but she is just as determined as I am to find out why I have tremors. She wants to rule out other causes of tremor, she says tremor is not caused by a slow thyroid activity but just the opposite, tremor is normally associated with over active thyroids. This morning my tremor started again, barely noticeably but I can feel it. So I am eager to get it sorted out, especially if the thyroxine might start making me feel a bit better, I would love to get back to work.

Peridot20_Gem
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Giggle,

I've answered you about thyroxine but Tremors can occur from the nervous system and through anxiety attacks i used to have them myself and they're terrible to go through but my doctor said i was was having to many anxiety attacks.

All the best where your works concerned. xxx

Peridot20_Gem
04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Giggle info on Tremor's and their main causes to give you an idea. xxx

Essential tremor is uncontrollable shaking or trembling of part of the body that lasts for at least a few seconds. It is a common movement disorder that usually affects the arms and hands, but can affect the head, jaw, face, feet and tongue. Sometimes the voice can sound shaky.

'Normal' tremor
Everyone has a very minor tremor when carrying out daily activities. For example, your hands will shake slightly when you hold them out in front of you. This is physiological tremor and is normal.

From time to time, this everyday level of tremor can become more noticeable, especially in older people. Noticeable tremor is also normal and often caused by a raised level of adrenaline in the body, which can happen when you are stressed, anxious or angry. It can also occur when you are on some medications, such as inhalers for asthma.

When does it become a disorder?
Essential tremor occurs frequently. It gradually becomes more noticeable over the years and is unrelated to the causes of normal tremor. The tremor may eventually become so severe that it is difficult for you to do normal activities.

Essential tremor is made worse by the same factors that exaggerate normal tremor, such as stress, anxiety, anger, strenuous activity, caffeine and some prescribed medicines.

It will get worse when you try to do simple tasks such as drinking a glass of water, tying shoelaces or writing. It is not usually present when you are resting.

How common is essential tremor?
Essential tremor affects men and women equally and can affect people of any age, although you are more likely to develop it as you get older. Nearly 5% of elderly people have it.

Essential tremor can run in the family.

Outlook
Essential tremor doesn't affect life expectancy. For most people it's a minor nuisance, but gets slowly worse over time. At worst, it is disabling and makes daily activities very difficult.

tgal
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Many of us have tremors simply from the Lupus or Autoimmune issues itself. There are many things that can be a disease or illness on its own but are simply secondary to the autoimmune issues that we are having. It sounds to me like when they get your autoimmune issue worked out that may be one of the things that gets "handled". I won't say fixed because often times a medicine will help it and then later the medicine stops working quite so well and you need to up the dose or try a new med. It really is just trial and error for awhile.

Keep us posted!

PS Please remember that I am not a doctor I am simply giving my own opnion

giggle
04-27-2011, 08:55 PM
peridot... thank you for both of your posts :) they were both very helpful... you have put my mind at ease about the tremor, I was very concerned about it.

thank you tgal... its hard to suggest it may merely be lupus related to my doc, she isnt very confident with treating my lupus I think.

Thanks guys

Peridot20_Gem
04-29-2011, 02:18 AM
Hi Giggle,

That's what we're here for to give advice the best we can concerning one another and we're all going through different thing's.
The tremors can be a pain but like i said they've got me on frisium been on them for years but a very addictive drug to help with my epilepsey and nervous system.

Giggle really your Doctor should'nt be treating your Lupus you should be seeing a Rheumo, who will run more blood tests to get a diagnosis to help you but with the bloods you never get correct readings half the time because Lupus plays with the blood so much and can give false reading's.

All the best mate Terri xxx