PDA

View Full Version : College Info

ritzbit
04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I FINALLY got my finacial aid packets today and I'm happy but still don't know what to do. One more thing to worry about in the next two weeks. I have to make a college decision by May 1. I want to go Georgtown. I would still owe $8000 to go there. I don't know where I'm going to come up with that kind of money in two weeks. I haven't gotten any scholarship stuff yet. So stressed. I only have 2 weeks to decide where I'm going to college and I dont know how I'm going to do that =(

Nonna
04-16-2011, 12:28 AM
You know it took me 11 years to get my college completed. I took 2-3 courses a semster. Maybe you could start that way as it's less stressful. Marla should be able to help and your conselar at school. Georgtown is an excellent school. Do you live nearby? You should also consider local community colleges to get the reqired courses like English, Math and History out of the way before you comtemplate the expense of a final degree school.

You can do this, don't worry about time frames.
Hugs
nonna

Linda From Australia
04-16-2011, 01:05 AM
Nonna is right, take it easy. It took me 9 years to do a 4 yr degree. I took a couple of years off in the middle and charged my batteries to complete it.

ritzbit
04-16-2011, 08:39 AM
But I want to be a doctor. Schooling for that will take 8-10 years normally. I cant afford taking extra time =( I already have about a year done with all the classes I've been taking the past two years. So Im hoping undergrad will only take 3 years. I just have so much to think about on top of trying to get caught up on 3 weeks of work Im still missing. So stressed.

magistramarla
04-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi Ritz,
Don't stress yourself out so much.
Are you working with a college recruiter from Georgetown? You should try to contact someone there, and let them know that you want to attend their university, but the money is still holding you back. Usually, if the school sees potential in a student and wants them at their school, they will work things out.
Cal Tech did that for my daughter, Heather. Their attitude was "if a student is a good fit for Cal Tech, money should never stand in the way". They arranged all sorts of grants, scholarships and jobs for her, so that she had few student loans and we didn't pay a thing.
Georgetown is a top school, much like Cal Tech, so I think that their financial aid office should be able to help a good potential student.
Call them and talk, talk, talk!
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
04-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I hope so. Im definately going to ask them why $3000 in federal grants Im supposed to be getting werent listed in my finacial aid packet. If I can get it down to 2-3,000 I have to pay on my own than I can probably afford to go there if I can still get some of the other scholarships I've applied for. My counselor at school used to be a counselor at Georgetown so Im going to see if she can help me talk to them on Monday when I go back to school.

magistramarla
04-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Good plan! Now, quit stressing and try to enjoy your weekend!
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
04-18-2011, 06:14 AM
My counselor is calling some people from Georgetown today for me and will hopefully be getting me a few thousand more that I should be receiving lol if so I will probably be able to afford to go there. I hope I can get that money plus a few outside scholarships so I dont have mounds of debt when I get out of school!

SandyR
04-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I was in your shoes when I went to college many moons ago and what ended up happening is that the school I had picked as my #1 kept sending me conflicting letters with financial aid amounts. One week it was $x dollars the next it was more than x the next it was less. It was very frustrating as it went on into the summer months and I kept going back and forth for a final answer with that schools financial aid office. This was all before the days of email and school websites and such so everything took much longer then it would now. Finally, in July, I still didn't have an answer and decided that the stress and aggrevation wasn't making me want to go to that school anymore so I switched to my #2 school and filled out their financial aid and although they were less expensive than school #1, in the end I was awarded more financial aid from school #2 and went there for 5 years (I stayed longer) and it was the best decision I made. I made friends from day 1 that I am still close with all these days later and I flourished at that school. The point of my story is try not to stress. What will happen is what is supposed to be and aside from what you are already doing with getting your counselor to help you and contacting G-town, there is very little else you can do right now. If for some reason the financial aid doesn't work out for you there this year you can always go somewhere else for a year, take your languages and history and math and transfer there next year. I know that's not what you want, but just know if that's what does happen, it's not the worst that could happen.

ritzbit
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
So on top of all this college stuff going on I found out Im being denied for home bound because according to my school district if Im well enough to go to school sometimes, then I should be able to go all the time. I am going to go to someone above them to get their ruling thrown out because that pisses me off. Im not some lazy kid abusing the system so I dont have to go to school all the time. But sometimes I can and sometimes I cant. And I cant afford any more absences counting against me. And I could really use the tutor thats provided with it. My mom said there's no point in fighting it with so little school left but I feel like I have to now on principle because its not right of them to say that if Im ok sometimes then I should always be well enough to go. My stress level just keeps going up...only 5 more weeks I keep trying to remind myself of that... =(

SandyR
04-19-2011, 07:25 AM
That just goes to show how uneducated people are about what living with a chronic condition means. It doesn't mean everyday is unmanageable for everyone. Part of me thinks they just denied it to save costs. It makes me mad that you have to go through the wringer with this, but I applaud you for standing up and fighting. It may not make a difference for you this school year and it may take a little longer than 5 weeks to fight, but the thing is there's going to be another student at that district like you in their future and it's going to help them too. What are your next steps going to be in fighting this?

ritzbit
04-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm planning on going to the superintendent first and I'm not sure who I'd have to go to after that. I'm sure he's busy, but he is sick also so I would hope he would understand. He's leaving after this school year ends because he has to have surgeries this summer because he has really bad kidney disease. He's a very nice man. I would hope he would have some power over this.

magistramarla
04-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Ritz,
Good for you. Go see him, and take some medical records for "proof". The district is probably trying to save money, but you should be able to get some sort of help to make sure that you graduate on time. I've seen them do it for senior girls who deliver babies just a few weeks before graduation.
Hang in there, kid.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
04-21-2011, 07:07 AM
The whole problem here is that they will not approve for partial days right now, even though they have in the past for lesser reasons. I really just want to curl up in a ball and give up on all of this right now. I had a slight mental breakdown yesterday/this morning and cant deal with all of this stuff right now. Too much going on and I cant keep up with everything and all the deadlines and the tests coming up and picking a college. I still am not sleeping well and the longer I go with so little sleep the more all of this is taking a tole on me. I cant do it Im not superwoman =( Im too tired to get anything done. And on top of already not sleeping well I now have a machine in my room cleaning up the small flood that happened due to all the storms we've been having lately. Sleeping with a room that smells like mold isn't fun either. If its not one thing its another. UGH. Oh and I have another rash that has popped up now on my foot and it actually hurts. I dont know whats going on with these weird rashes, I never get rashes really.