PDA

View Full Version : Falling A Lot

serand4
04-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I feel like all I do is complain but I really am a bit concerned about this one. For the past two weeks, I've fallen about six times. And these aren't, oops, I stumbled over a cat, it's as if my right side gives out and I go straight down. There's no way to catch myself. I'm up and then next thing I know, I'm on the ground with some minor injury. One day I fell so hard I truly thought I broke my knee.

My right side has been much weaker lately. Even when I type I notice it. I've also noticed that some of my Lupus symptoms are more evident -- like the rashes and swelling. I'm not sure it's a flare because the pain is actually pretty well controlled right now.

The last intense symptom has been depression, though that seems to have passed for now. I was in a really dark place for several days. I was so thankful that seemed to go away without any major blow ups.

I'm tempted to call my rheum about the falling as it really is scary. Then again, all I feel like I do is call so doctor about some new issue. However, if it's MS, I could possibly get some relief from some of these symptoms.

I know many of you suffer with dual diagnosises. I could really use your suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Susan

SandyR
04-15-2011, 06:56 AM
I think you should call the doctor. Did you see the threads from the member who had falling issues and fell so bad one time she knocked the vase on her table over and sliced some tendons in her arm and required some hefty surgery. Lord knows I'm trying to remember her name on here right now but at the moment it escapes me. She started off talking about randomly falling/losing her balance just like you are now.

And I don't consider you to be a complainer. You're concerned. I would be too if my body was suddenly not doing what it's always done. I would call the doctor. What's the worst he can say??? Thankfully if the rheumy doesn't listen to you there is always the PCP.

tgal
04-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Oh honey I feel for you! I go through this as well and you should definitely call the doctor. They may not be able to tell you what it is but they can rule things out. This is not complaining as Sandy said, this is simply taking care of yourself.

One of my tests found a marked loss of control in both sides but strongest in my right (and yes, I am right handed). The doctor suggested that I use a cane when I am having these periods and it did seem to help the all out falling if not the weakness all together. I would give that a try at least until you can go to the doctor. Keep us posted

Nonna
04-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Yes do call the doctor, I fall a lot also, it's because the nerve impulses don't always get through to the final destination. You may want to talk to the PCP about a neuro. I also use a cane at times of weakness. Please keep us updated

nonna

Linda From Australia
04-16-2011, 01:08 AM
How are you feeling today Susan?

serand4
04-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Hey there - I haven't called a doctor yet. I plan to do that Monday. I'll go to my pcp as I know my current rheum will do nothing. I seem to be getting weaker and weaker. Honestly, it's a very frightening feeling. I keep wondering what day I'll try to get out of bed and won't be able to. I have my cane with me all the time now at home. The silly thing makes my shoulder hurt since I'm using new muscles but it beats falling down! I'm going to ask for a spinal tap but I don't know if my doctor will go that far. I looked at the symptoms for MS and I definitely have the majority but I think that once you start dealing with AI diseases that cross over to so many things, you start seeing yourself in a lot of illnesses.

I really appreciate your care and concern. I'm just ready for there to be some type of firm diagnosis so I can find the right medication. I'm back to prednisone and while I try to keep cutting down slowly, the lower I get, the sicker I get and there is no doubt about the correlation. By 30mg, the IBS is back big time as is the difficulty eating, the increase in pain and the overwhelming fatigue. I can't even imagine what would happen if I went down to 10mg!

Anyway, thanks and much love to all! I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Susan

magistramarla
04-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Susan,
I fall a lot, too. A muscle in one of my legs will just suddenly spasm and pull me down to the floor. I've had a few spectacular falls, too. Just a couple of days ago, I was headed across the hall from the bedroom to the bathroom. At the bathroom door, my leg spasmed, and I grabbed for something to hold onto, which happened to be the towel rack. I pulled it and the towels down on top of me. Luckily, I'm quite skilled at falling onto my most padded part, so I usually don't hurt myself, but boy do I get a bruised backside!
I've had all kinds of tests, including a lumbar punch, but everything is "normal". The neuro just tells me that there is nothing wrong with my muscles. Several people here at WHL complain of these problems, and I saw several people who walk (stagger) just like me at the Sjogren's Conference. We're not crazy! Maybe the docs are?
Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
04-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Please let us know what your doctor says and does when you do call him and/or see him. I am glad that you keep your cane handy, as I know that constantly falling can be dangerous (as our members have learned first hand). I wish you the best!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

serand4
04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Thank you all so much for the supportive responses. Yesterday was quite a day! I didn't fall but I have never felt so weak in lower body ever. We absolutely had to do some grocery shopping and I found myself thinking, "okay, if I go down I'll wait a few minutes before I call to anyone just to see if the strength comes back..." Nothing like planning for your next medical emergency! I got home and was a couch potato the rest of the evening. I'm not sure I even woke up last night and we all know how rare that is! Surprisingly, my lower body is definitely stronger today. One thing I noted is that I sat outside with my mom yesterday before we left for the shopping and I knew better.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted and thank all of you again for your caring responses.