PDA

View Full Version : Told my boss today I have lupus

gringa1
04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Well all went well,my boss was glad that I told him, I've been with him for 15 yrs.
Today was a tough day, my head hurts so so bad. Took 1600 mg of Motrin, and just took my cymbalta. No relief in sight. Will plaquenil help with the headaches??

steve.b
04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
good to see you could tell your boss.
the headache is probably from the stress, of having to face him.
it should pass overnight if that is what it is from.

well done for facing that fear.

Peridot20_Gem
04-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Hi Bertie,

I said your boss should understand if you told him and after 15yrs of knowing you should know better anyway, so i am pleased for you that went well.
I am sorry to hear you feel rough in yourself and the headaches over the years have hurt me but since i've been on the plaquenil i can truely say mine have eased off, it's funny how you notice things more when someone brings something up plus it's been great to my skin also.

I hope your day goes abit easier for you as it goes on and i'd just rest if your not well.

Thinking of you dearly Terri xxx

Nonna
04-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Glad you had the courage to tell your boss. Steve's right the headache was from the stress of telling him. Things should go better for you now.

I've also told my boss and she works with me. My hours at work are now changed I leave an hour earlier and you would not be believe the difference an hour makes

Good Luck and Hugs,
nonna

rob
04-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Well all went well,my boss was glad that I told him, I've been with him for 15 yrs.
Today was a tough day, my head hurts so so bad. Took 1600 mg of Motrin, and just took my cymbalta. No relief in sight. Will plaquenil help with the headaches??

It takes courage to tell a boss about having Lupus, good for you. I also think your headache was stress related. I hope you are feeling better.

Rob

tgal
04-12-2011, 06:53 AM
I know it was a hard day but things around the office will get easier since the truth is out. Good job!

gringa1
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone, but I still have the headache, my forehead hurts bad. I couldn't sleep even after taking my cymbalta, had to get up and take Naproxen 500mg(didnot want to take another Motrin800mg). Wake up at 3am my eyes hurting really bad, could close them, hurt to keep them open... felt like sand in my eyes. Yesterday I did notice my vision becoming hazy and blurry and when I woke up this morning my eyes were very swollen. I took all my allergy meds thinking it could be that, but nothing is working for me.
What do I do for a quick relief and why is this happening??
I don't think it was stress, this headache has been with me for a while now. My eye sockets hurt so bad. I just want to thank you all for listening. And you are all right by saying, those who don't know lupus, don't understand how we feel. My coworkers kept telling it's my allergies and that I looked tired.
It's taking me forever to type this keep making mistakes. It's 8:30pm and still the same blurred vision/ bad headache :( Bertie

rob
04-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Thanks everyone, but I still have the headache, my forehead hurts bad. I couldn't sleep even after taking my cymbalta, had to get up and take Naproxen 500mg(didnot want to take another Motrin800mg). Wake up at 3am my eyes hurting really bad, could close them, hurt to keep them open... felt like sand in my eyes. Yesterday I did notice my vision becoming hazy and blurry and when I woke up this morning my eyes were very swollen. I took all my allergy meds thinking it could be that, but nothing is working for me.
I don't think it was stress, this headache has been with me for a while now. My eye sockets hurt so bad. I just want to thank you all for listening. And you are all right by saying, those who don't know lupus, don't understand how we feel. My coworkers kept telling it's my allergies and that I looked tired.
It's taking me forever to type this keep making mistakes. It's 8:30pm and still the same blurred vision/ bad headache :( Bertie

Hi Bertie,

At this point I think it would be best to see a doctor about this. If your Dr. isn't available, I would go to the ER. I have no idea what this might be at this point, but you are better off playing it safe by getting checked out ASAP.

Rob

SandyR
04-13-2011, 06:33 AM
if you have allergies and have a headache you might want to try a nasal spray if you aren't already using one. I have very bad allergies and the nasal spray and neti pot work best on them. If you're already on nasal spray, I find that it works best for me if I use a saline nasal spray and then the medicated spray. Not too sure why this works best but so far (knock on wood) this is working for me.

Peridot20_Gem
04-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Hi Bertie,

Sorry to hear your still suffering with that headache plus a rough night to go with it but refering your eyes i have that trouble with bits and swollen eyes and as soft as it sounds i go and buy piriton tablets from the chemist and one eases the affects within half hour, i've tryed piriton off the doctor but they ah as good as the ones from the chemist, it may help you.
Bertie we're all here for you and your right by saying what you have no one understands only those who have Lupus but Lupus definitely causes headaches and if it's hot where you are, you may have pollen affecting your eyes besides the lupus, that's why i mentioned those piriton as they do help me otherwise i have to keep wiping my eyes with wet wipes to make them feel fresher and your looking tied off the Lupus plus with lack of sleep because of how your sleeping is being disturbed with how you are.
Well the blurred vision and headaches comes from the lupus and don't mention spelling mistakes it gets me down re-checking dow it sound bad.lol

~Hugs Terri~ xxx

gringa1
04-15-2011, 06:37 PM
So my husband got abit upset with me for telling my boss, he feels it will be a negative on my behalf. It's like family at work, and my boss has always been there for me.
I feel by telling him, but my husband makes me feel bad. Bertie

Linda From Australia
04-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Gee .. what a hard choice you made. I had no choice but to tell my boss (Principal). He knew I was going to the doctor, and when I came back to class he was taking for me, I just burst into tears. He knew that what ever it was, was bad. He came to my class again within 30 minutes with a huge amount of information from the Internet about Lupus. He even highlighted the part where it said that Lupus was not a death sentence today.

Hopefully telling your boss is a positive move for you and your boss

bunny28
04-16-2011, 05:19 PM
You made a very tought choice and I hope your husband can understand it. I too told my boss and co-workers eventually....So far the support has been unbelievable. My husband who works in the same place (also a school), was the one to encourage me...Had he felt differently I can only imagine how I would have felt. Hnag in there. You followed your heart.

As for your headaches, I also suffer terrible ones. I have been on Plaquinil since Feb 1st but also taking Nortriptylin (sp?) which is taken once daily to try to reduce the occurance of migraines. One or the other or both have reduced my incidence of headaches but I still get them especially when stressed (recently family funeral/weeK; had one every day). Likely your headache was stress related as well. I have been told the Plaquinil will eventually help but at least until it is working "full force" for me, I am afraid to give up the other med which seems to be working.

Take care and hugs.
bunny

gringa1
04-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Thank you all for your feed back. As for my headaches, i don't see my rhuemy til june to get started with plaquenil, So I'm hoping I could hold off till then, I have appt. with my primary dr. this week, she wants to fellow-up with the cymbalta.
I think I'm going to do good at work, especially when I get sttarted with plaquenil. The say day I told my boss, it was also my evaluation (15 yrs), he is really pleased with me and my performance and he gave me a raise :) he just wants me to be upfront when I'm having a bad day, he doesn't want to over do it.

tgal
04-17-2011, 06:32 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned to you or not but maybe you could get on the cancellation list for the rhuemy. That would allow you to get in and get started a little earlier.

Glad things are going so well at work!!

Peridot20_Gem
04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Hello Bertie,

Your husband may not agree but at the end of the day, your able to judge the people you've been with for so many years and he seems very understanding like Linda's boss, just let the man know when appointments are to be attended and your on level ground.

I do hope your appointment with your primary doctor goes well and according to how your hoping, sorry to hear the headaches are'nt improved much.

Keep we updated and do takecare Bertie.
Hugs Terri xxx