PDA

View Full Version : Trying not to worry

craftkeeper
04-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Okay, this is just me going on a worry benge.. Having nothing better to do i guess. Just out of morbid curiosity i started checking the prices of the Restasis drops and reveiwing co-pays on everything i have so far and it scared me to death and started my worry roll.
Apparently there's no Generics for alot of the drops so i will pay close to full price. Marla you were so right. It certainly is not cheap. We just went thru Bankruptcy last year due to me not being able to work taking care of my mom. I had planned on putting my little one into public school after homeschooling for 3 years and going back to work and now i don't see that happening for awhile. My Husband works in a factory that makes Auto parts so you know how iffy that is. Plus he has advanced COPD and epilepsy,so his future working at 56 is iffy to. I know if he were to have to stop work our insurance would be gone. I fear that our golden years will not be so golden at this rate. I usually dont worry so much, but i guess the reality that this thing is not going away just hit me. As older parents of five with our youngest being nine years old it's hard enough. I'm sorry to air all of my problems but i will not discuss it with my husband he worries enough now and all of my friends seem to have gotten lost. Again i apologize., but i had to get it said somewhere.

Nonna
04-09-2011, 09:47 AM
A lot of us are in this boat with you, I'm 63; I have no retirement money. I was a single mom who lived paycheck to pay check. My copays total more than 200 a month. Th thought of the future bothered me immensely. I decided not to worry ; I am going to let come what may come.

Worrying only makes matters worse. I know I've been there. A lot of us are. That's why we're here; this is the best place for understanding and comfort. Venting the worries sometimes helps so I hope you feel a little better now

hugs and good thoughts,
nonna

craftkeeper
04-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks Nonna, i know that you are right. i read the post and so many are in the same boat. Like you we have no retirement except a tiny 401k. I used to be able to handle things alot better then i have in tha last month. It seems like everything comes all at one time doesn't it? With the disease, the financal end of it and the extra forty pounds that hit me all at once it got a little overwhelming. Thanks so much

tgal
04-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi there. I completely understand where you are and it is a scary place to be! All I can tell you is that you will make it through. It won't feel like it. You won't see any way but it WILL happen. My daughter and i lived on $300 a MONTH for over 10 months. Of course choices had to be made and some things are gone that I thought were necessary. Turned out they were not. Some months I was terrified but one way or another we survived it. You will too. You may want to start thinking about filing for disability. Forgive me for not remembering your entire story (brain fog) but if you are getting to a place where you can't work you might want to go ahead and start. It takes a long time but when it finally starts it is very helpful.

All I can say is try to stay in the moment. Don't borrow trouble and think about what might/could/will happen. Live in the now and somehow you make it through to the other side (yes, I know, easier said than done!)

Never forget that we are here for you!

Bonita
04-09-2011, 11:28 AM
i am on medicare and the drug i take for my stomach because other generics do not work is 160 dollars for a months worth so i try to get as many samples from any doctor i see. Bonita

craftkeeper
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks Tgal. I like that saying." dont borrow trouble'. I know that you and your little one have truly gone through some trying times.. Sometimes it seems that the system just doesn't work for those that the it the most and does for those that need it the least does'nt it? My elderly neighbor gets 14 dollars a month in food stamps and a young couple i know who are in they're 20's get over 1000.00. There's something wrong with that isn't there?

Yes i talked it over with my husband just the other night and i have decided that as soon as i can i will file for disibility. I probly could have done it a long time ago, but i kept trying until i'm a point that i can't function. Hopefully my plaquenil will work this time and i can get some relief from some of it.. Anyway after i typed the beginning thread i ran over the the piggly wiggly and grabbed me a big ole bag of those chips,honest. I'm going to drown my sorrows. {and i wondered where that 40 pounds came from.LOL} Thanks.

craftkeeper
04-09-2011, 11:44 AM
i am on medicare and the drug i take for my stomach because other generics do not work is 160 dollars for a months worth so i try to get as many samples from any doctor i see. Bonita

Hey Bonita, That's crazy isn't it how much medication can cost.. Right before my mom passed away, her doctor gave her a script for some sort of physiatric drug that was over 800.00 a month. If her insurance hadn't of picked it up we couldn't have purchased it at all. some of the drug companies that made some of her meds had programs that would pay for the ones her insurance wouldn't cover.. At one time she was on over 30 different medications. Even at that i had to purchase all of her across counter Meds that she had to have. Yeah i try to get the samples too. It really helps.

SandyR
04-11-2011, 07:07 AM
I can feel your pain and I'm a single professional with no children. Where I live there is a hugely insane cost of living and my family is all here so I don't want to uproot and move and try to find a new job/apartment, etc in a new town. Not yet. I wish I had some good advice for you but the only thing I can say is that I also ask my doctor for samples whenever possible. If there is no sample I ask if there is another generic form of the drug perscribed or another drug that is just more easily affordable to my pockets. Often there is. Luckily, my doctors have all been pretty good about helping me out with this and it makes a huge difference.