PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone up to?

Linda From Australia
04-09-2011, 01:57 AM
I have been out of action for over 3 months, and feel so left out of the forum. I haven't got the time or the endurance to read all the posts I have missed out on, so would you mind just letting me know how life has been treating you this year.

Also there are so many new members that I am really disappointed that I haven't had the chance to say hi to you. Please introduce yourself to me and tell me a little bit about yourself.

I have missed you all so much, I wish I didn't have this hicup, but hey, life is always throwing curve balls.

rob
04-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Hi Linda,

It's good to see you again! I know you've been having a tough time as of late. I hope you know that it's OK to take a break from here, we understand. Life does indeed throw you a curveball sometimes, and you have to put all of your energy into dealing with it. It happens to us all sooner or later.

I have mostly good news to report on in my life. The big piece of good news is that my father has almost completely recovered from his heart surgery/multiple bypasses. He's able to drive again, and he's been plenty busy with our various projects. The newly restored bloodflow to his heart has given him energy he never knew he had.

I had a relatively flare free period for nearly a month, and it sure was nice. I have my usual flare activity back again, but that's OK. The flare free period did so much good for my outlook and attitude. It's given me hope that I can still have relatively symptom free periods that are longer than just a few short days. I'm feeling rather crappy today physically, but mentally, I'm doing pretty damn good.

It's good to have you back Linda!

Rob

Linda From Australia
04-09-2011, 05:16 AM
WOW - drag racing - how exciting (frightening actually)
I hope your car has heaps of padding ... just in case ...
Well it is great you and your dad are both feeling fantastic and getting a new lease on life. Keep u p with your adventures

I didn't really plan to take a break from here, it is just that I have been too sore and tired and have been trying to rest as much as I could, especially when I attempted to go back to work

Nonna
04-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi Linda, I've been dealing with my own hiccup, I got bronchitis in February. Still fighting it. Hope you are doing better now? We've missed you; so glad to see you back

Hugs,
Toni

tgal
04-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Linda! I have missed you so much! I do understand about being too tired and in too much pain to be here. As Rob said, it is ok to take breaks when needed. I am doing much better than I was last week. Lots of steroids so I feel better but look really swollen. You know how it is!

I am so glad that you took a moment to say hi. Tons of love being sent your way

Hunniebun
04-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I know I haven't been on here too much either, but I have been lurking. I recently moved so that was a huge chore in itself and I am still recovering from it. I was in extreme pain the day we moved. My feet were very swollen and I could barely walk so that was no fun at all. The rest of my body was screaming at me too and all puffy but this has been happening for years now so you just learn to deal with it right?
We also got a new puppy named Bailey. She is black with white markings on her chin, belly and feet. She was born Jan 5th, 2011 so she is just a wee little thing but she is a wonderful dog already. She is a mix of poodle/pomeranian/shitzhu and all of them combined makes for a super cute dog.

I also have a dog walking job I do 5 days a week where I walk a seniors beloved shitzhu/poodle. I make $200 cash out of doing that and it feels great, gets me out there and keeps me fairly happy. When I come home though I am exhausted and take a good 3-4 hour nap haha.

steve.b
04-09-2011, 09:46 PM
hi, when we last spoke, i had just had my synus operation. all went well, very little discomfort, and the change is amazing.
other than that, not much has changed for me.

on the site however, everything has happened. ther are lots of new members to meet. some good laughs to read. and a few tears to be shed.

Linda From Australia
04-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Thanks everyone for letting my know what you are up to:

Nonna, so sad about your bronchitis. Hopefully that will get better as the weather starts to warm up for you. Are you able to buy some oranges?

tgal, my dear friend, it is good you are having a better week. Swollen face, gee that must make dancing at the night clubs a bit embarrasing for you, perhaps you should just dance at home with your daughter's friends instead. You don't want to freak out any prospective step dads for your daughter do you. If you do decide to face the night clubs, it will be better to choose the ones that have low lights. ha ha, just thinking of you and your girl dancing the night away. Take care ...

Hunniebun how is your new house going? Did you have to do any decorating? My daughter and her husband have 2 dogs, one is a pomeranian/shitzhu and the other one is just a shitzhu.And oh they are so cute.

Steve, my new West Aussie friend. My mum just had an operation to unblock her tear duct. Hopefully your face was not as bruised and swollen as hers is. So glad your operation was a success. Merilyn and I were going to try and catch up in a couple of weeks time, perhaps when you are in Perth next we could catch up with you and your family. We are also hoping to catch up with Han as well. Have you had any of that nice rain? It is a change from all the hot weather we have been having.

steve.b
04-10-2011, 04:12 AM
catching up sounds great. pm me and we will see what happens.

rain...........i wish, spent over $2,000 buying water so far this year.

kim,l
04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
hi linda good hear from you glad you took time out you needed to heal well my life i have flu at the moment , sarah seizures are due to stress and she is still heart tests well i had to pull mikaela out of school i am now arranging distance education because bullying continued mikaela went to that school that was recently on the news and current affair where that kid casey got sick of bullying and threw the bully the schools bullying policy was not working and her safety was comprimised so we removed her hope you are better hugs kim l

tgal
04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
LOL about the dancing! I just adore you! feel better soon

Linda From Australia
04-15-2011, 04:36 AM
Kim How are you coping with Mikaela doing distance education? Is Sarah feeling any better, and what about Stephen? You have really had a bad year. Hopefully your son is still in rehap, cooperating and receiving good treatment.

I was going to go to Sydney in July for my niece's wedding, but because of the huge expense with my operation and medical bills because of the complication we are not going. It would have been nice to catch up with you.

tgal How is that dancing going, how high can you kick your legs into the air. If you have that healthy low calorie banana milkshake you would feel so much more energy and be able to boogie some...

SandyR
04-15-2011, 07:20 AM
glad to see you on here again Linda. I've been pretty good. Finally feeling normal after this nice long winter flare. I sometimes think the milder ones are the longer ones. Spring is blooming in my corner of the world which means I have all these lovely green things growing and looking beautiful and driving my allergies crazy. Literally crazy. I finish a flare just to start allergy season and when that's over it'll be summer and I'll be living like a vampire again. Can't win for losing, right? LOL. But the good thing is I am finally able to see real ankles again, not cankles, and my lungs are finally functioning at 100% capacity again and those two things together mean I've been able to go swing dancing again. My friends were all shocked to see me go two weeks in a row and I know they'll be more shocked to see me tomorrow night at a special Rockabilly Review that we have once a year. I feel well enough to dance so I'm going! I've also been dabbling back into volunteering with the dog shelter. Can't be there the way I was because of the whole allergy/ankle thing but I've gone a couple of times the past 2 months to take a dog out for the day. They asked me to come tomorrow to take one because our shelter is moving to a larger facility - Yayy for helping more pups in need! What else? Oh, my niece is now 8 months old. Can you believe that? I'll see her and my family next weekend for Easter. I have a feeling she's going to be walking in the next few weeks. I'm also planning a trip to FL to see my parents (mom and stepdad) this summer. I will be going by train this time since flights are so expensive right now and driving that far would surely send my ankles into a swell again so I've decided to take the train which is cheaper than the plane right now anyway and will allow me to make some stops to see some cousins along the way. Also, I just learned to crochet. You do that, don't you? I started last month and am working on the border of my first project - an afghan - right now. I'm really liking how it's looking and have a request for an afghan from my younger sister now so I'll be starting that soon. How about yourself? How are you?

Linda From Australia
04-15-2011, 07:36 AM
I am so pleased to hear that you are able to swing from the chandeliers again. Do you take the puppy home, or just take it for a walk? I remember when your neice was born, you were so excited. If I remember right (or perhaps wrongly) you struggled through the baby shower. We are heading into autumn now, but it is still hot over here in Western Australia. But it isn't too bad because it is just hot and not humid.

I am still struggling, 3 1/2 months after my operation. It has really made life difficult for me. I have had to make heaps of adjustments to my teaching. I have missed out in 4 weeks of school on and off, but now we have just broken up for a 2 week holiday. I will work on my programmes for a week, and perhaps have a week just resting up. I see a physio every week, so I have been doing heaps of exercises. I am sure it is doing my body good, however, my muscels are slowly wasting away, Why? Your guess is as good as mine. The physio said that perhaps I should start having protein shakes. I am trying not to focus on what is going wrong. My one wish would be to be able to walk in a straight line, and being able to walk around the place wihout loosing my balance. We had a staff meeting all day today, and I had a fair amount of pain, so everytime I got up, I felt eyes on me as I struggled to walk and keep my balance. No one panics anymore, but I can see it on their faces.

Anyway, life goes on, and I just try to enjoy life and look at what great things are happening around me, instead of thinking about how difficult life has become

SandyR
04-15-2011, 07:51 AM
I guess the good thing about all the eyes is you know it comes from a place of caring and concern and that if something does happen there are lots of people to see it and help. I'm glad you're able to be back in the classroom. I know it was a hard road back there. I'm sorry that things are still so rough from the surgery. What did the primary doc think of the protien idea? Perhaps you should make sure your kidneys are all good before doing that?

Yes, you are right - the shower was flaring me up. Love stress! Plus it turned out to be the absolute hottest day of the year here when we had the shower, which was outdoors but thankfully there was a pool and tents. Thankfully this year I don't have to worry about planning a shower. Or helping with a wedding. We're done with all that for a little while at least. BIG SMILE.

kim,l
04-15-2011, 07:04 PM
hi linda mikaela is still waiting for distance education to be set up so have some work from her former school till them am helping her everyday and sarah is to had to write letters to different education minister because had one officer worker in education threaten me with 11,000 fine if i did not send her back to school until distance education could be arranged she was quite nasty and it affected our health but i refused to put mikaela back in that school so i am still waiting , sarah is still having tests. josh still in rehab and seems to be working he likes this one it is called triple care farm, both stephen and i have had flu so immune systems not good. enough about me how are you doing hope you are feeling bit better have missed talking to you shame about the wedding medical costs are so bad now i even have to pay rheumi appointments i was bulk billed before but nobody is doing this now and the cost of living has sored hugs kim l

Saysusie
04-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi Linda;
I am so glad that you are back and, please do not feel that you must apologize for taking time to take care of yourself. You were missed, but I am glad that you are feeling better now.
Things have been a bit of a roller coaster for me. As far as my performing goes, this part of my life has been wonderful and gloriously busy. I've been in four productions already this year, I am in rehearsals for a production at the end of this month, and I am working on my own show scheduled for the end of July.
Health-wise..uggh! I have been dealing with one flare-up after another and it is getting tiresome. None of the flare-ups have been the same or followed the same path, so I never know what to expect :-(
Family-wise; I had an enormous blow up with my mother and have had to distance myself from her for my own sanity and my own health. We have had no contact in three months and my stress level has finally been manageable during that time period..oh well.
Well, that's my story and again..I am so glad that you are back. Sending you warm {{hugs}}

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ladybugs mommy
04-17-2011, 08:09 PM
hi everyone!
it's been a LOOONG while since i've checked in. i've been pretty sick this last year and a half - (i used to visit/participate quite abit under ang192, but had to get new sign in i guess because i've been gone so long. i'm glad to see familiar 'faces' and to know that you all are still around. so what have i been up to? well....

i had a doosie of a flare involving every major organ but my kidneys - connective tissure, bones, heart, lungs, CNS - thanks to SLE my body was shutting down. i was in the hospital for most of last year, literally, ultimately getting out in december last year after receiving a treatment called PLASMAPHARESIS - "PP" (i came here last year asking if anyone had heard of it or had it). it's a very intense treatment and you have to be in the hospital for at least 4 weeks, i was in for 9 just for PP.

i'm doing much better now, thank goodness! i've been very busy getting back to LIFE! getting back to being 'mommy' and a stubborn wife to my amazing (most of the time) hubby. back to my life coaching practice, getting back into the family financial and small business services consulting firm, AND....

starting my own non profit foundation specifically for lupus, because i was disappointed with the lack of services and resources in my area (san francisco bay area/east bay) for those of us newly diagnosed and living with lupus. yes, we do have an LFA chapter, but it's pretty far, and seems to service only the south bay. it's called THE BUTTERFLY PROJECT FOUNDATION for LUPUS (www.thebutterflyprojectfoundation.org (http://thebutterflyprojectfoundation.org/)) , and we are already registered and incorporated in the state of california as a non profit, and our federal 501(c)3 paperwork is being processed. the website is under construction, and i will be setting up a direct link to this forum as i think this is the best lupus forum out there!

i'm also glad to be getting back to 'WHL'. i'm really glad you guys are here.

:)
http://princesstinybutt.blogspot.com (http://princesstinybutt.blogspot.com)- here you can see some pic's of my plasmapharesis experience was like, and some of my 'lupus life experiences' in general.