PDA

View Full Version : Other religions/Your religions

pisces_music_girl
04-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I've noticed in my short time here that the majority of members seem to be Christian, or at least identify with some Christian branch. I was just curious if there are other religions on this forum. As for myself, I am a proud Wiccan!

Also, how does your religion, or spirituality, help you with your illness?

Hope I'm not being too invasive. :]

rob
04-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Hi,

I think most people here are Christian, but I do know a couple of people who are Muslim, and at least one Buddhist. Of course, all are welcome here. As for me, I'm an Atheist. But I'm not one of those intolerant Atheists who wants to get rid of eveything that mentions God. I love nativity scenes, Christmas, and when at somebody's house for dinner I bow my head when they say grace out of respect for them and their beliefs. I'm very much a live and let live kind of person.

What's involved with being a Wiccan? I don't really know much about that.

Rob

SandyR
04-06-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm Christian. I really don't label myself past that point since I am not a church goer and have issues with some ideals of Catholosism (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). I've been to many kinds of churches - Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Unitarian - as a practicing member and visited many other kinds of worship houses over the years. Even knew a little bit about Wicca at one time and have some Wiccan friends. I have family that is Jewish and have been to temple for some occasions for them and for friends as well. Some of my family is Atheist some Agnostic. Basically we are like the UN of religions. I also live in an area where there is every religion imaginable practiced - right outside of NYC. To me, I don't feel the need for a deeper level of labeling because so many ideals are similar - one higher being, sense of some sort of existance out side of this plane of life, sense of there being a distinction of right and wrong, sense of a soul. To me, these are the important things. I am very faithful in that I do believe in God and that helps me because I feel like there is a purpose to having to deal with this, I just don't understand what that purpose is but to me it has something to do with evolving on a spiritual level in this life so that in the next life I can lead a better, more spiritual, life. I firmly believe that God doesn't give us more than He knows we can handle and that He will often test our resolves and spirit and faith by giving us some sort of trial to deal with. I think that these tests and trials often have a purpose we don't learn of until we have complete the test or journey of life. Sometimes it's just to become more compassionate to others like us. Sometimes it's to have more patience for those different than us. Sometimes it is just to prepare us for something that is coming ahead that we can't see yet. I talk to God every day. I think I hear Him talking back to me on occassion, when I am very good at listening with my mind and my heart as well as my ears. I think that God has carried me through many tough times and has always been the one there for me even when I thought I stood alone. I have great respect for other religions. I don't believe in trying to convert someone to my ways. I have no proof that my religion is more right or wrong than theirs. I have often said prayers here for people not of the same religion and I hope they all were taken with the love and respect they were given and were not seen as insults to anyone. I'm babbling on and on but I hope somehow that I did answer your question.

pisces_music_girl
04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Well, rob, I could sit here and list the twelve priciples of Wicca that were agreed upon by the Council of American Witches (here's a link to them (http://www.paganlore.com/wiccan_principles.aspx)). But instead, I'm going to tell you what I believe. I do not speak for all Wiccans, Pagans, or Neopagans and nor do I pretend to know everything.

Wicca is a nature-based religion, and it is a modern interpertation of the old pagan religions. I worship the God and the Goddess, as I believe that there are two aspects to divinity- male and female. I follow the cycle of the moon and attune myself to its energy. When it waxes, I focus on adding positive things to my life, and when it wanes, I banish the negative things (like pain!). On full moons, I perform a small ritual outside where I thank the God and Goddess and ask them to "light my path with the brilliance of the moon and the glory of the sun". In addition, I follow the larger waxing-and-waning cylce of the season. Our holidays are harvest-based.

The reason why I'm not a pagan is because I actually do practice Witchcraft. Now the biggest "principle" or "rule" is to never, ever be manipulative. That means love spells. I don't perform them, ever. I do perform blessings, and the spells I have cast successfully have worked almost immediately. Here's the way I look at it: magick is my form of prayer. It's how I communicate best with the God and Goddess, the Universe At Large, and all the energies within.

Hope I answered some questions!

magistramarla
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey Rob,
I thought that you and I seem to think alike. Your post describes me, too.
Pisces,
I studied a lot about the ancient Celtic beliefs and the Egyptian beliefs when I was teaching Latin.
The Romans often incorporated parts of the religions that they encountered into their own beliefs.
I find it all really fascinating.
Hugs,
Marla

bunny28
04-19-2011, 03:47 PM
A very interesting topic.

Thanks for the candid explanation of your definition of being wiccan.

Thanks for all who shared.

I identify myself as more spiritual than religious. I was raised in what I consider a progressive christian church (not catholic ) and I guess more of my belief system still comes from there. I was however always encouraged to find a religion or "church" that "spoke" to me. My parents fully encouraged me to visit multiple churches/religious ceremonies (though there wasn't much variety where I grew up, but more later). My husband and I believe strongly in the power and wonder of nature. He was raised in the same type of church as I was though our experiences still varies, then at university, he studied many religions of the world and shaped his personal views, I think. I will likely introduce many different ideas to my son and hope that he finds some combination of them that brings him comfort and strength.

For me one of the purposes of religion, is that in time of hardship as well as times of wonder, we can find comfort and strength. I think it is also important to know that there is something greater than ourselves.

Formal religion once played a very significant role in moral education. I find that has changed somewhat in this fast-paced world but the basic concepts of love, understanding, forgiveness are things that should help to make the world a better place for people of every belief system.

Peridot20_Gem
05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Well i'm also a christian but can't stand going into churches as a rush of coldness and being uncomfortable goes through me.

So that's why i don't bother with religion at all.

ruziska
05-11-2011, 02:13 PM
I consider myself a Christian. I believe in God and I believe God would send his son to earth. I also believe there is more to it than the bible tells us. I don't follow mainstream Christianity and I CANNOT stand "biblethumpers". I've had too many interactions with people who claim to be so blasted Christian, yet say and do things that go against what Christianity teaches us. Hypocrites! I believe our pets are with us in Heaven, otherwise it wouldn't be such a great place would it? Not without our beloved and faithful friends. I believe in miracles. I've witnessed too many not to including my premature son's birth and growth (2 lb 11 oz, now a perfect 22 year old expecting his own first child!) I believe in Karma, you sew what your reap, what you put into the world comes back to you or whatever else you want to call it. I believe in Guardian Angels and I believe I've met mine. I believe there is only one true God, but he goes by many names and yes, I believe God is a man for if God was a woman, MEN would have cramps, not women. I believe in Heaven and Hell and I believe that my life after my death is going to be wonderful and no lupus allowed!

lizbond36
05-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I've noticed in my short time here that the majority of members seem to be Christian, or at least identify with some Christian branch. I was just curious if there are other religions on this forum. As for myself, I am a proud Wiccan!

Also, how does your religion, or spirituality, help you with your illness?

Hope I'm not being too invasive. :]

Hello there I am a wiccan/pagan for 20 years, I don't bring my religion to the table because it can cause war LOL. Nice to meet you :-)

tgal
05-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I have not commented on this thread because, as was said in the above post, bringing religion to the table can cause war. I have decided that I will post now because those that like me will continue to do so if their feelings were real and those that don't most likely didn't to start with.

I am a preachers kid so I was born and raised in the Christian religion. I can argue/debate it as well as almost anyone however I am not Christian. I am what most call Agnostic and what some call weak Atheist. I do not believe that there is proof either way of a higher being so I can't believe nor disbelieve. Atheist, in its true meaning, simply means a non Theist or a non God Follower. Since the majority of people that use the term Atheist state that there isn't a God I don't use the original term because that does not describe me. I just don't believe that it has, or can be, proven so I use the word Agnostic.

As Rob and Marla already mentioned I have no tolerance for stupidity such as those that say we shouldn't say Merry Christmas or sing traditional Christmas songs because they contain the word Savior. I would never look down on someone that says they are going to pray for me anymore then I would if they said they would cross their fingers or send out good vibes. I dislike the types of "non Christians" as much as I dislike the Christians (and every other religion) that spew hatred in the name of what they believe. I believe in "paying it forward". I believe that if I do good then it will come back to me as long as I am not doing it for that reason. I believe that goodness and kindness should be a part of all of our lives, not because we get something better when we die but because it makes our lives better while we are here. I believe that there is good in people if we really look for it but if we look for the bad we will find that instead. Too many people have died in the name of religions of all kinds and I, for one, am tired of the killing and the hatred. If there is a God then he goes by many names and no one religion has a monopoly on him/her.

I do, however, have complete and total respect for people who live what they believe even when it is not easy. I don't have to agree with someone to respect their beliefs and to love them as people. I will never try and make someone walk a path that their beliefs don't allow and I expect the same. Live and let live is the best way to explain my beliefs. I personally believe that the world would be a much better place if everyone lived that way no matter what their own belief system is.

That is just my own 2cents worth on the topic. Hugs to you all

tiggerlishus - Heidi
05-12-2011, 04:05 AM
well i was brought up christian but i am bit of a mixture i believe that there is a god but i believe he comes to everyone in different ways in different religions or just throu people in our lives but i also am very spritual to i believe in guradian angels and that we can communicate with our loved ones in heaven! and i have actually only experienced it recently while i was away i came back from my holiday saturday and it was the 4 year anniversary of my dads death sunday and whilst we were i bleive my dad came to both to me and my partner on 2 seprarate occassions both at the same time early hours of the morning whilst i got up for a wee! first to my other half and then 2 days later to me! it was great so peaceful and heart warming know he was there with us!

but i also do believe there are people out there that use religion in a bad way interperating them to use in evil ways! so i try to keep myself to myself when it coems to religion each to thier own and all xx

lizbond36
05-12-2011, 06:24 AM
I have not commented on this thread because, as was said in the above post, bringing religion to the table can cause war. I have decided that I will post now because those that like me will continue to do so if their feelings were real and those that don't most likely didn't to start with.

I am a preachers kid so I was born and raised in the Christian religion. I can argue/debate it as well as almost anyone however I am not Christian. I am what most call Agnostic and what some call weak Atheist. I do not believe that there is proof either way of a higher being so I can't believe nor disbelieve. Atheist, in its true meaning, simply means a non Theist or a non God Follower. Since the majority of people that use the term Atheist state that there isn't a God I don't use the original term because that does not describe me. I just don't believe that it has, or can be, proven so I use the word Agnostic.

As Rob and Marla already mentioned I have no tolerance for stupidity such as those that say we shouldn't say Merry Christmas or sing traditional Christmas songs because they contain the word Savior. I would never look down on someone that says they are going to pray for me anymore then I would if they said they would cross their fingers or send out good vibes. I dislike the types of "non Christians" as much as I dislike the Christians (and every other religion) that spew hatred in the name of what they believe. I believe in "paying it forward". I believe that if I do good then it will come back to me as long as I am not doing it for that reason. I believe that goodness and kindness should be a part of all of our lives, not because we get something better when we die but because it makes our lives better while we are here. I believe that there is good in people if we really look for it but if we look for the bad we will find that instead. Too many people have died in the name of religions of all kinds and I, for one, am tired of the killing and the hatred. If there is a God then he goes by many names and no one religion has a monopoly on him/her.

I do, however, have complete and total respect for people who live what they believe even when it is not easy. I don't have to agree with someone to respect their beliefs and to love them as people. I will never try and make someone walk a path that their beliefs don't allow and I expect the same. Live and let live is the best way to explain my beliefs. I personally believe that the world would be a much better place if everyone lived that way no matter what their own belief system is.

That is just my own 2cents worth on the topic. Hugs to you all

You go girl :-) I am the same way, someone wants to pray for me I am fine with that. I listen to country music and you know what the sing LOL. You said it all I don't care what anyone believes. that doesn't make a person. I am very proud to be in this group that doesn't shy away there true self. I even say marry Christmas I know jaw droping :-) Hugs to you all
Liz

mrstjscott
05-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Hi everyone. I believe that JESUS is the Son of GOD (the Creator of all heaven and earth). I believe that JESUS was born of a virgin, was crucified for our sins, was buried and on the third day (after His crucifixion), He rose again and is now in Heaven sitting on the right hand of GOD the Father.
I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of GOD.
I believe that GOD is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent.
I believe GOD is the POWER over all POWER.
I believe JESUS is coming again to take believers back to heaven with HIM.
I was brought up in church and I strayed for a long time but thank GOD HE forgave me and now I live for HIM.
I sometimes have a hard time dealing with the symptoms of Lupus, but I believe that my triumphs are being used as a testimony for others.
I believe that there is a heaven and that there is a hell and a lake of fire for those who don't choose JESUS as Lord and Savior (please note that I am NOT judging anybody here. I am simply stating what I believe).
This is me. Thanks for listening.

Gizmo
05-29-2011, 08:32 AM
OK, now I am even MORE impressed with this group. I avoided even reading this for a few days because I didn't want to read a bunch of Bible thumping. How amazing that people with such diverse beliefs can come together and respect one another! What interests me most is that the people who have replied to this post are really very open to other people's beliefs, no matter what their own are. I probably have the most in common with Bunny28, but there were parts of every post that reflect my views. As a nurse, I cannot help but be amazed at the complexity of the human body, and the universe and don't believe that it was some cosmic accident. I believe in a power much greater than us all and that when we die, we are absorbed into that energy, but remain individuals.

My world view of spirituality also comes from growing up on the Navaho Reservation in New Mexico. When you visit those ancient communities, you can feel the spirits of those who walked before you. I have tried all flavors of Christianity and am fed up with the judgement attitudes that allow some people to claim God loves them best - and then those same people scream and yell about paying for programs to take care of the sick and the poor. To me the holiest people are those who love unconditionally and give of themselves - and those values can exist in people of any spiritual bent, including agnostics and athiest (as proven by this forum).

lovedbyHim
05-30-2011, 05:29 AM
I am so very new to this post so tentative to speak but feel compelled to do so. I have been without God and have walked with Him. Walking with Him is far sweeter. I am Christian and loved on by many. When I am at my weakest moments, I have never felt alone. This is important as I live alone. I don't bible thump. I just love in the deepest way I can.

tgal
05-31-2011, 08:55 PM
I am so very new to this post so tentative to speak but feel compelled to do so. I have been without God and have walked with Him. Walking with Him is far sweeter. I am Christian and loved on by many. When I am at my weakest moments, I have never felt alone. This is important as I live alone. I don't bible thump. I just love in the deepest way I can.

First let me say that new or not you became a part of the family as soon as you joined. No need to worry about what you say. You are answering the question put out there for all of us. You have as much right to answer it as anyone else. Although I am always proud of this place this thread has made me even more proud. So many different ideas about faith and not one fight. You can't say that in post places.

So, I say again, don't be worried about what you say. As long as we respect each other it is all good. We are really glad that you joined our family

rob
06-01-2011, 06:38 AM
One thing I learned in the military, is that when the chips are down, and things go from bad to worse, it makes no difference who the guy fighting next to you is. Differences in religion, race, cultural differences, all of that becomes irrelevant. Facing a common enemy can bring together the most diverse group of people imaginable, and make them one. I think that's what is going on here with us.

And if there's any good to come from fighting an enemy, be it in a war, or fighting a disease like Lupus, it's that the ability of a diverse group to come together fighting as one is such a powerful thing, that it tends to stay with you throughout life, and you find yourself open to other people, their ideas, religions, and cultures in ways you never could have imagined before. I call it "Enlightenment by Fire".

Lupus is our common enemy, and we face it together here.

Rob

tgal
06-01-2011, 07:05 AM
One thing I learned in the military, is that when the chips are down, and things go from bad to worse, it makes no difference who the guy fighting next to you is. Differences in religion, race, cultural differences, all of that becomes irrelevant. Facing a common enemy can bring together the most diverse group of people imaginable, and make them one. I think that's what is going on here with us.

And if there's any good to come from fighting an enemy, be it in a war, or fighting a disease like Lupus, it's that the ability of a diverse group to come together fighting as one is such a powerful thing, that it tends to stay with you throughout life, and you find yourself open to other people, their ideas, religions, and cultures in ways you never could have imagined before. I call it "Enlightenment by Fire".

Rob

Well said my friend. Well said!

Nonna
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I've been reading this thread for quite a while, but have not posted until now. I guess I was trying to think how to say it.

I believe in God. God is there; no matter how you think of him - nature, karma, "the force", fate or whatever. It doesn't matter what you call him. I feel that as long as you are open to Him and talk with Him and believe - it's okay. I don't think you need to go to church; but it helps you to go - emotionally mentally and physically. Churches are man's version of religion; men, so-called inspired men at that, make the rules. I have always felt that their rules are the power of their hierarchy. I happen to go to a Catholic church because that's where I feel comfortable. There are rules that I don't agree with. Bible thumpers have driven my son from formal religion. I dislike these people who push their religion on others - but I will pray for them and hope that the Holy Spirit visits them and they come to understand that they do more harm than good.
As man gains knowledge and moves forward to space, we find that the old rules can't work. the new rules don't seem to work either. Rules are the downfall of religion.

As other have said, these are my beliefs and I do not push them on others; I merely state them.

Peridot20_Gem
06-18-2011, 04:57 PM

RobRob,

What a great example of what you've said...it's surprising in life what things can draw people together until the situation arises.

lovedbyHim
06-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Wow Rob that was profound! For the longest time I have tried to make people (co-workers, church family, relatives, etc.) Understand why I can't join them in some things and so often they look at me like I have two heads. You folks truly understand the fight. It is a battle Rob. Let's always fight in unity.

DrinkofWtr
03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I am a Christian. My religious beliefs are most like the Missouri Synod Lutherans. I believe that Jesus died on the cross and that his blood was shed for my sins and the sins of others. I came to my beliefs through my upbringing and my reading of the bible. I have had spritual encounters over the years. Just want to let others know my beliefs.

Deemarie1223
08-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Rob, that was amazing! I'm new to the forum, and I think this post alone clinched the deal from me going anywhere! So many responses, so many nice words from so many different aspects, that's a miracle in and of itself! I, am a Christian. Haven't always been, was brought up nothing (literally) checked out catholic with my ex, and didn't agree with a lot of the rules, after losing 8 babies I became a non believer of anything, I felt like if there was a higher power, then why would I sngle handledly go through more by the age of 24 then most do in a lifetime. That's the way it stayed until I was 28, when I started studying paganism, I really loved the nature aspect of it, I loved the friends I met, but there was something that still wasn't "clicking" then at 30, I went to a non denominational Christian church with a friend and I left crying....never missed a Sunday since. It took me a long time to accept Jesus (althogh I grasped God pretty quick) and after lots of soul-searching I felt I was ready and I was baptized on palm sunday this yr. I now teach children's church and help out a lot. I'm learning the bible and more things every day, I do love it. I believe in God, that Jesus died on the cross. But I also believe in karma, miracles (seen them), pay it fad etc etc. Basically as someone else said, live your life as morally correct as you can, love, honor and respect others. Be real with people and be a good example for kids and others around you. If only the whole world could harmoninze the way this board does, it would be a much better place! God bless, blessings, namaste, good thoughts and vibes (and a little shambala (yes I'm trained) to you ALL <3

blackeight
08-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Great thread! I am also christian, I am not one that is going to push my ideas on you, but i do like to share them. Church is so uncomfortable, but there are times I get a lot from listening to the sermons its just the other judgemental people there that are listening to it too. I have been a christian for about a year now of course with my stumbles off and on. I am supose to love all no matter what the belief and be kind. In my journey I have not found alot of that where I live.

MorrisonGal
08-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I am Buddhist now, but I grew up as a Mormon until I was 15, and have friends and family who are Mormon and Wiccan. I admire any group that has a positive community of people. I think that Wicca/paganism are interesting because of the celebration of personal power and also the celebration of nature and natural cycles. I sometimes do Wiccan rituals or attend church as a guest, as when someone I love is speaking or being baptized, etc.

SleepyInSeattle
08-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I am really encouraged by the kindness and tolerance I see in this thread. :-)

I have studied many religions in my life and thought a lot about my beliefs - I think there's wisdom in just about every religion and atheism as well. I guess at the core what I believe in is kindness. The specifics don't really matter to anybody but me.

I;d never be offended by anybody praying for me or sending good vibes or burning incense or hugging a tree or whatever - I deeply appreciate the kind thoughts and feelings behind whatever action is meaningful to anybody.