PDA

View Full Version : Crazy amount of pain!! I think my hip is toast...

Colleenc
04-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Well for the last 3 days I have been withering in pain. My right hip/groin is so sore I can hardly weight bare on that leg. I have mentioned in past posts about on going pain in my right hip (which has been a problem on and off since last summer) and leg/foot cramps. Now the pain has moved from my outer hip to inside the crease of my leg and pelvic bone and it has increased to the point that I'm taking oxycodone every 4hrs (I never take pain pills) I have lost most of my range of motion. I can't lift my leg (not even to put my foot in my pant leg) I was told a few months ago that I might be developing Avascular Necrosis of the femoral head, but now I'm wondering if it has finally collapsed? I have been on steroids for 16 months, the last 3 the dose has been very high (IV solucortef). Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how were you treated and how long did you have to wait? I had an MRI on thursday, don't know the results.

Colleen

tgal
04-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Did they do the MRI on your hip area? If it has gotten that much worse so quickly you might want to go ahead and go to the ER so they can give you something in a vein for your pain. Please keep us posted!

Colleenc
04-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah the MRI had been booked for my hip a couple of weeks ago, just happened that it got worse that day!!! I'm really trying to hold out on going to the ER, but if I don't get some relief soon I just might! I will keep you posted!

Nat
04-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear you're feeling like this. Long term steroid treatment can cause that pain in the hips and knee, its one of the serious side effects of the corticosteroids. My doc told me if I start to notice that pain he needs to know ASAP. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've read that the treatment for it can be knee or hip replacement. I hope that's not the situation for you though and hope you feel better soon.

magistramarla
04-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Colleen,
As soon as I started reading your post, it just screamed AVN. I have it in my right knee. I had arthroscopic surgery two years ago, in which the doc repaired the meniscus and shaved back the necrotic bone. I've read that this should give me some relief for a while, but that a knee replacement will be inevitable someday.
It does sound like you may have had a collapse of the femoral head. See your orthopedic surgeon ASAP!
I don't know whether I've given you this before, so here it is: This site will be very useful to you. http://avnsupport.org/
Take care!
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
04-03-2011, 01:51 AM
i know you are resting............
cant do anything ..but rest

i would go to the er

get it checked out properly. just in case.

Colleenc
04-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Well I made it throught the weekend, just barely. I didn't go to the ER (basically I have to be almost dead literally, before I will subject myself to the incompetent ER we have here). I'm seeing my GP in 2 hours. I'm really hoping he has some news from my MRI. I'm certain it is AVN. Although my white blood count has been very high lately (with no reason for it). Not sure if they are connected.
Marla, Thanks for the website, I took a look, it does certainly sound like the same thing I'm going through. I just can't believe the pain and loss of motion in my leg.

tgal
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Please let us know how it goes!

SandyR
04-05-2011, 08:18 AM
sorry to hear you are in such pain. what did the gp say?

Colleenc
04-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Well I got good news and bad news! Good news first... I do not have AVN!!! woohooo!!!! Bad news... Fractured my pelvis )<: Still don't know how or really anything as far as healing,how long etc... Have to go back to docs after I get more x-rays done and bloodwork. We think it might have happened during 1 of my syncopes. Also he thinks there may be an infection or fluid collecting in the hip joint, that is why I have such a high white count. So I'm just taking it easy, taking my pain meds and waiting... Seems like all I do is wait in docs offices or for them to call ( my hubby just got me a new blackberry so it makes docs offices alittle more fun). I guess this will set me back going to work even longer. UGGHH!! I would really like to know how it happened. I just had 2 more syncopes today and I don't see the cardiologist until the 19th to get this all straightend out!! May lose my S*^T again...LOL

magistramarla
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Colleen,
That sounds so painful! Could it have happened when you took that awful fall in the bathtub?
If you are having those so often, why hasn't the doc restricted your movement to protect you?
I think that I would spend the next two weeks in a wheelchair if I were you!
Be careful, and keep us informed.
Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
04-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Great news about AVN!!! I'm sorry to hear about the fractured pelvis though. I can only imagine how painful that is since you move your pelvis with just about every other body movement. I hope you heal well and quickly. What kind of BB did hubby get you? I have a curve.

Colleenc
04-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey Marla and Sandy,

I'm not really sure how it happened, my best guess is from one of my syncopes, but I can't imagine the one from the bath tub did it. I would have thought the pain would have started a lot sooner. The doc did say I have brittle bones (from the pred and the blood thinner injection innohep) and that all I might have done was bump into something or even moved the wrong way and it cracked. I have to go for an ultrasound and another scan tomorrow and Friday to see how bad and if it will need any kind of fixing (lets keep our fingers crossed it doesn't). I also got another pain killer and that seems to be allowing me to get some rest at night. They said I will need to go to physio eventually since my leg has been so affected by it. But I guess we will see, will no more in a few days. Also still waiting on my latest blood count to see about infection. I really hope it is OK cause the hubby is off for a boys weekend Fri-Sun and the last time he went somewhere in Feb I was in hospital waiting for my arm/glass surgery. I was really looking forward to having some girl fun this weekend and shopping, but it looks like it will be internet shopping for me, no mall walking!! )<: The docs have told me to be careful about what I'm doing and not to be alone for to long. I have not been able to work (I have to drive over an hour 1 way to get there) cause I can't drive. My family calls and text me hundreds of times a day to make sure I'm OK, we have moved all glass and breakables in the house and I don't go out in public alone. Thses are all huge changes for me. I really need this to be fixed soon or I'm going to go crazy!!!
Sandy my hubby got me the blackberry curve!!! I love it!!!

SandyR
04-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Maybe he can bubble wrap all the corners for you. Keep you nice and safe and in one piece. *smiles* I have the curve too. The one complaint I have about it - it doesn't have a flash or zoom on the camera! *big frown* I would have gotten the Bold if I had known it at the time. sigh. oh well.

Peridot20_Gem
04-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Colleen,

Do what marla said get a wheelchair to help you and your GP knowing the position your in should be able to get one easily for you.

asherah
04-07-2011, 05:12 PM
This ! I was just reading about this! I hope they check you out for this. I also hope you feel better soon.

Colleen,
As soon as I started reading your post, it just screamed AVN. I have it in my right knee. I had arthroscopic surgery two years ago, in which the doc repaired the meniscus and shaved back the necrotic bone. I've read that this should give me some relief for a while, but that a knee replacement will be inevitable someday.
It does sound like you may have had a collapse of the femoral head. See your orthopedic surgeon ASAP!
I don't know whether I've given you this before, so here it is: This site will be very useful to you. http://avnsupport.org/
Take care!
Hugs,
Marla

Colleenc
04-09-2011, 09:32 PM
So update on my pelvis, Had a scan and ultrasound yesterday, and the good news is that my pelvis is cracked not fully broken. So what that means is I won't need surgery to stabalize it. Thank goodness!!! I see my GP on monday about how to go about getting the best pain relief and about physio since there telling me it maybe six-eight weeks before it heals. I can walk a bit better now, but I have to make sure I don't miss a dose of pain killers or walk to far, or I'm done for the day!!

C

Peridot20_Gem
04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Hello Colleen,

Oh i am pleased in one way it's just cracked then broken but it would have been even better if it had'nt have happened you've been through enough already. When mine broke twice colleen they never offered me surgery it was lying on my side in bed unable to move after weeks, then it was constantley sitting on pillows, you'll find that the comfortable for sitting.
Colleen i dow't that physio will touch you yet until after a few weeks of resting to help it heal, unless they do act before hand.

Please take it really easy mate and if you don't feel to good SIT DOWN lol

Linda From Australia
04-15-2011, 05:00 AM
How are you feeling today Colleen?

Colleenc
04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Sorry guys I have not been on in a while (computer issues, lots of appts, blah blah blah) anyway I'm back!!

I still feel like crap, My pelvis is sooo sore. I'm using my maximum dose of pain killers still. Next week I see the orthopedic doc to see when I can start physio. I don't think I will ever be able to put my own pants on again!! LOL That movement is the most painful. Still have no idea how it happened although my hubby likes to tell his friends it happened during wild sex (hhmmm was that the sex that I passed out during)!!LOL No really I don't know how or when it happened which frightens me since this is the third broken bone I have had in the last 6 months and not known I did it (I have a very high pain tolerence)!

Colleen

Peridot20_Gem
04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Hello Colleen,

I said it would take a while with your pelvis mate and watch pushing it to quick incase you hurt yourself more.
Well refering your pants your hubby is more than willing to pull them up or down in anyway he can to help.LOL and let him have his wild dreams with his mates because when your better he may go abit wild so get prepared, mind you if you dow feel like it instead of the headaches like we women use, it's the pelvis excuse, you've got him there mate.

Well it is a good job you have great pain tolerence else there would be nothing left of you mate.
Do takecare Love Terri xxx

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Hello Colleen,

We've not heard from you in such a while on the site..how are things doing mate because you had your pelvis bad besides so many other things going on.
I really do hope your ok and if possible please let we know how your keeping.

((Hugs Terri)) xxxx

magistramarla
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Agreed, Terri!
Colleen was posting very often, and then just disappeared. I hope that she is ok and that we hear from her again.
Hugs,
Marla

lovedbyHim
06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Im sorry you are in terrible pain. I hope you get treatment soon.

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Marla,

I've been thinking of colleen within the last month and she was on nearly everyday and besides her pelvis she kept passing out and i hope to god nothing serious as happened to her, i'll keep rising this thread in hope that some goodness comes of it.

Love Terri xxx