PDA

View Full Version : THE weather

honeyshell69
11-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Is anybody out there at the mercy of the weather? the sun and heat is so hard to deal with. But now that winter is hear, everytime a new storm system moves in, I feel like someone is hitting my body with a bat. just wanted to know if this affects others as well. thank you. michelle :mad:

hippimom2
11-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Michelle, I go through the same thing. I was hoping for some relief when the hot weather of summer was over. I am feeling a little better than I was over the summer, but my body also feels horrible whenever the weather changes or a storm moves in or if there is an extreme change in the temperature. I notice that I don't tollerate the cold very well anymore and my hands and feet almost always feel cold.

Saysusie
11-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi Michelle;
I think that most of us understand completely what you are going through. The sun and the heat causes rashes, fatigue, flares, etc. The cold causes pain, frost-bite like symptoms in our hands and feet and swollen/tender joints. I could go on and on.....but you know what I mean. So, yes, we are also at the mercy of the weather.
:cry:
Saysusie

hatlady
11-26-2005, 03:17 PM
But you know what STINKS? :( THe docs will tell you "weather should not have an effect on pain levels"

HA!

At least we all know better - and can offer electronic shoulders to those suffering from the weather in their region....

Shirley
11-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Two years ago I bought a hot tub which really helped with the joint pains and muscel aches. Then this past 6 months or so I have had trouble with sores on my feet and rashes on the legs. The hot tub does nothing but cause the rash and sores to come out or get worse. :(

Weather has a huge impact on my raynards!

My gyn shared with me last year that she had lupus. It was nice to have someone to relate with me. Shortly after she confinded in me she gave up practicing and I had to search for a new doctor. She understodd the weather issue.

Shirley

hatlady
11-27-2005, 05:15 AM
Shirley, could the hot tub be contributing to the rash? I know many hot tubs have heavily chlorinated water - which is something my skin can't handle anymore. Have you tried completely emptying it, cleaning it very well and then using fresh water for a dunk?

Oh I'd be lost without my long hot baths! Don't have a hot tub, but do have a good ol' bathtub that I layer a couple of mats in the bottom and fill up deep. Bubbles. Bath oil. Candles. And magazines to read! :D

What a pity your doc found she had to end her practice. Were you able to stay in touch with her?

Shirley
11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Hatlady,

The hot tub I have is called a soft tub and easy to empty and clean. I have tried it without chemicals and no difference. I also live very close to several natural hot springs here in Oregon which I love. It seems it is the warmth of the water that activates the rashes and sores. :(

I was not able to keep in contact with my past gyn.

Another good day here. :) Your emails have sure been a source of positive energy. T/Y

Shirley

hatlady
11-28-2005, 10:14 AM
That's too bad about the hot water activating the rashes, Shirley.... :(

One of my other warmth "vices" might work better. A friend in Michigan told all of us on another board about her rice socks - comfortably fill a tube sock with white rice - I added lavendar as well - and sew off the end. A minute or two in the microwave and you have a warm scented comfort around a neck, on a shoulder, etc. (Even on your chest and tummy if you're just COLD) Be careful - sometimes it gets TOO hot! But it is wonderful on a cold evening

Hugs, and thanks, I appreciate your comments here as well!

honeyshell69
11-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Thank you all for your messages, and support, i know there were alot of others, but its nice to not to feel so alone! there just dont seem to be any breaks anymore. i would love to find a doc that didnt tell me what im supposed to feel. i dont wish this on anybody, but if they had to spend 1 day with a full on flair. they might be a little more understanding, thank you all again :wink: hopes and wishes. michelle

tdeyne
12-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I know I'm extremely late here, but I definately suffer at the mercy of the weather. I live in wonderful sunny florida the home of the hurricanes. So summers for me are dreadful, beause it rains EVERY DAY. Winters are not as bad as summers because it rains less, however I DO still ache when it does rain in the winter (like today for example). My rheumotologist told me there's really nothing I can do except take tylenol or the darvocet he prescribes me. He said it has something to do with the baromic(sp) pressure dropping when the weather is changing that causes the pain. If anyone knows anything more about this or if there's anything to combat it, please let me know! It's raining as we speak and I'm hurting!! Take care all!!

Saysusie
12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi Tdeyene:
Air pressure is also called barometric pressure because barometers are used to measure it. The weight of the air pressing down on the Earth, the ocean and on the air below causes air pressure. Earth's gravity, of course, causes the downward force that we know as "weight." Since the pressure depends upon the amount of air above the point where you're measuring the pressure, the pressure decreases as you go higher. Air pressure is related to its density, which is related to the air's temperature and height above the Earth's surface. Air pressure changes with the weather.
There have been studies that claim to have proven that the combination of high humidity and low barometric pressure definitely were associated with increased joint aching and stiffness. Arthritic joints are inflamed and under pressure because of increased joint fluid. If you lower the barometric pressure, the inflamed joint will swell, stretching the inflamed joint lining and capsule. That causes pain.
There is some evidence that several factors in the weather can contribute to pain, such as: temperature, barometric pressure, precipitation, humidity, thunderstorms, sunshine, and increased ionization of the air. Because tendons, muscles, bones, and scar tissue are of various densities, cold and damp may expand or contract them in different ways. Sites of microtrauma ( small injuries to the body) may also be sensitive to expansions and contractions due to atmospheric changes. Changes in barometric pressure and temperature may increase stiffness in the joints and trigger subtle movements that stimulate pain. These changes in the muscles and joints due to the pressure are more pronounced in people like us who have inflammatory joints due to our disease. Change in barometric pressure may also cause a temporary loss of equilibrium in body pressure that may make nerve endings sensitive and account for increased pain before and during changes in temperature or humidity. ALso, it has been found that seasonal weather patterns influence mood in some people, esplecially those suffering from illnesses, and therefore, can indirectly affect their perception of pain. Although weather sensitivity seems to be a phenomenon with various causes and reasons, the results of most studies suggest that there is a relationship between weather-oriented changes in pain perception in persons with chronic pain.
There are really no specific treatment for pain caused by change in weather. Most of my research indicated treatment which was similar to that used to treat inflammatory pain and they all seemed to suggest using heat on the affected joints (especially dry heat??)
I hope that I've answered your question..let me know if you need anything more!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie