PDA

View Full Version : Chemo !!!!!

mama3wicks
03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
I dont like chemo but what can i do...Im getting sores on my head, whats up with that?

steve.b
03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
no body likes chemo. it is chemically poisoning your body.
but
it is the lesser of 2 evils.
it stops you from getting worse. it makes you better. not cures you, but better.
i take 1 type of chemo daily.
a second weekly.
and a third when in a flare.

no one likes it, but it is a neccessary evil.

the other option is do nothing, not an option for me.

tgal
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
I dont like chemo but what can i do...Im getting sores on my head, whats up with that?The

Hi Mama3! Welcome to WHL! The chemo is hard and, I am not saying this isn't from chemo but, Lupus itself can give head sores. One of the first symptoms I had was sores in my mouth, nose and eventually the head and neck. How long have you been on the chemo? I know it is really hard and thankfully I haven't had to go down that path yet. We are so glad that you found us and I can't wait to get to know you!

Saysusie
03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
What type of chemo are you starting? While there are a great deal of chemotherapy drugs on the market today that can be used to treat such conditions as lupus, some have been known to work best: azathioprine, cyclophosphamide, lefunomide, methotrexate and mycophenolate. Some of the brand names of these are Arava, Cytoxan, Rheumatrex, Imuran and CellCept. Are you starting any of the drugs listed above?

I just wanted you to know that the chemo doses for lupus are much lower than for cancer. Still, the side effects of chemotherapy are similar, but notnearly as severe or debilitating as chemotherapy for cancer. When chemotherapy is administered, it depletes the number of red blood cells that are formed, which can make you anemic and you may also have a low white blood cell count, which can make you more susceptible to illnesses. You may also experience such symptoms as nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and an upset stomach. It is important to remember that many of these symptoms go away after time.
I wish you the very best :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
no body likes chemo. it is chemically poisoning your body.
but
it is the lesser of 2 evils.
it stops you from getting worse. it makes you better. not cures you, but better.
i take 1 type of chemo daily.
a second weekly.
and a third when in a flare.

no one likes it, but it is a neccessary evil.

the other option is do nothing, not an option for me.

Steve,

What kind of chemo type med do you take daily? I have not read of one that is taken for Lupus that is taken daily. Just out of curiosity, what do you take weekly>

steve.b
04-23-2011, 11:51 PM
i am currently on
plaquenil daily
prednisilone every second day
methotrexate weekly
and panafcortelone when in a flare.

tgal
04-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Which are you considering a daily chemo? I don't see that in in your list

Nonna
04-24-2011, 02:20 PM
What do you all consider as Chemo?

tgal
04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
What do you all consider as Chemo?

Hi Nonna,

That is what I am trying to figure out. There are several drugs that are low doses of drugs that are used for chemotherapy. Methotrexate and Imuran are two of several that are given to help people out of a flare while still being able to get on lower doses of steroids. I am a bit confused by Steve's post because the only med I see taken daily is plaquenil and it is not a chemo type drug.

steve.b
04-24-2011, 10:39 PM
there is 2 basic descriptions for chemotherapy.

one is a drug classed as cynotoxic.
the second is any drug that is man made, (not a natural forming drug) and desease modifying.

in the first clasification only methotrexate fits.
in the second classification then prednisolone and plaquenil also fit.

my rhuemy uses the second classification. apparently this is becomming a more acceptable definition.
if this description is incorrect, sorry, i am guided by the "proffessionals" in this.

tgal
04-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Of course you should use what your doctor said. As I said, I have never heard that nor did any of my doctors use it. Maybe it is simply something done in your country. Thanks for the info!

Saysusie
04-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Since I see that there are some questions here about what a chemotherapy drug is, I've decided to do some extensive research in the hopes that I may offer some illumination on the subject. Here is what I've found thus far.

Chemotherapy drugs includes drugs that have cell killing, growth inhibiting agents. These drugs can be used alone or in conjunction with other drugs in the treatment of cancer

Now, I think that there may be some confusion between the terms "Chemotherapy" and "Chemotherapy Drugs" Chemotherapy is the treatment of an ailment (not limited to cancer) using chemicals that kill micro-organisms or (in the case of cancer) cancerous cells. Most commonly, chemicals used chemotherapy treatment act by killing cells that divide rapidly, one of the main properties of most cancer cells. Chemotherapy treatment generally refers to using antineoplastic drugs (cancer chemotherapy drugs, cytotoxic drugs). The drugs used in chemotherapy treatment to treat cancer are usually the combination of these drugs into a cytotoxic standardized treatment regimen (A fundamental principle of combination cancer therapy is that different drugs work through different cytotoxic mechanisms. Because they have different dose-limiting adverse effects, they can be given together at full doses in chemotherapy regimens).
In its non-onoclogical (non tumor, non mass, non cancerous) use, the term, chemotherapy treatment, may also refer to using antibiotics (antibacterial chemotherapy). In that sense, the first modern chemotherapeutic treatment employed an agent known as arsphenamine, an arsenic compound discovered in 1909 and used to treat syphilis. This was later followed by sulfonamides (sulfa drugs) and penicillin.

Chemotherapy Drugs: There are more than 100 drugs that are used today for chemotherapy treatment -- either alone or in combination with other drugs or treatments. These drugs vary widely in their chemical composition, how they are taken, their usefulness in treating specific forms of cancer, and their side effects. Chemotherapy Drugs are divided into groups - alkylating agents, nitrosoureas, antimetabolites, anthracyclines, topoisomerase inhibitors and mitotic inhibitors. Some drugs that we know here as immunosuppressant drugs, corticosteroid drugs, and some NSAIDs can be found in some of the classifications above. However, the drugs in those categories where we find our drug treatments for Lupus etc, are only listed in chemotherapy drugs because they are used in conjunction with the cell killing drugs as part of a chemotherapy cytotoxic standardized treatment regimin and, yes, many of them are synthetic (man-made) chemical agents.

Prednisone and Prednilosone are sometimes used in conjunction with cell killing drugs and, therefore, are sometimes included in the list of chemotherapy drugs and are used as a part of a chemotherapy treatment regimen. These two drugs are also synthetic drugs. However, it is important to note that not all synthetic drugs are used for chemotherapy treatment. Synthetic drugs are those substances that are produced entirely from chemical reactions in a laboratory. Their chemical structure can be identical to naturally occurring drugs, such as steroids, cocaine and opium, but they are often designed to enhance effects from naturally occurring drugs, or to prevent side effects from naturally occurring drugs that are unwanted. Many purely synthetic compounds with no alternative natural source are classified by the chemical structure of the parent synthetic compound. Drugs that share a common core structure belong to a particular group. But members within a particular group may produce different effects.

So, in a sense, both sides of this conversation are correct, with provisos, of course :-)

Please let me know if I have been able to clarify this subject or if more research and/or information is needed.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
04-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Wonderful post Susie! So in a nutshell when taking Plaquenil and steroids alone they are not counted in the "chemotherapy drugs" but when they are added to a low dose chemotherapy drug the entire cocktail is then seen as "chemotherapy drugs". Did I get the correct?

steve.b
04-26-2011, 12:36 AM
it is ard to find good reliable information. especially one that is written in plain english.

thank you for the information.

Linda From Australia
06-04-2011, 02:48 AM
How is the Chemo going mamma3wicks?

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi mamma3wicks,

Like Linda said and i'm also asking, when possible could you update us on how the medication is going please.

Terri xxx

Maribeth
06-16-2011, 11:35 PM
I currently am on Imuran daily, Cellcept before that, prednisone daily, Fentanyl patch, oxycodone, colonzopen and symbryax as well as thyriod meds. And lets not forget the laxatives.