PDA

View Full Version : latest visit to the rheumy!

Nat
03-28-2011, 07:36 AM
I had my latest visit with my rheumy on Friday just gone and I'm so glad I went. It was my first visit since spending the night in hospital in early march and he gave me some pretty interesting info. He said he was by no means surprised I had a bad flare up a few weeks ago but was surprised it wasn't worse and that I was getting around fine! He proceeded to take out my latest lot of tests which showed that disease activity had increased to 3 time wjat it was when I was officially diagnosed in June 2010. He noted some test of my kidneys indicated that the lupus has attempted to attack my my body still seems to be fighting it (god only knows how given I've been on methotrexate since last year so I have no immune system!) But my overall kidney function hasn't been affected. He thinks I came off the prednisolone too quickly last year before the disease was under good control.
There was about 10 other tests he explained which I can't remember now but he basically said I came back exactly at the right time so we could see the disease activity increasing but it hasn't affected anything just yet so it can still be worked against. While its not the best news its good it was caught in time. I feel I hit the jackpot with this rheumy too he explains every single test he does in laymans terms and the results and what that means for me. Thank god for my fab GP for the referral to him! Just a shame he's an older guy cos I imagine he'll be retiring in a few years time!

tgal
03-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Oh Nat that is wonderful news! I am so glad that you have such wonderful doctors! I agree, you hit the jackpot there! Thanks for the good news! That is always appreciated!

Peridot20_Gem
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi Nat,

Brillaint news mate and it's better when it's caught at the right time to get sorted out and controlled better i am pleased for you.

Mind you it's great when you have a rheumo who speaks straight with you and no messing about and it would be a shame to lose someone so good, that's more than i can say for my rheumo.

Hugs Terri x

mountaindreamer
03-28-2011, 08:08 PM
hi nat,

your rheumy sounds great. i, too, and happy that you found such a good dr.

my rheumy last reported that my lupus and RA had progressed at a more rapid rate. i too am on mtx, but i don't take prednisone. I was not surprised when she told me about the increased progression, i could tell by the way that i felt, plus, my family could see it in my face.

the attack on my kidneys is progressing, but at a really slow rate. My tests have shown kidney involvement for over a year now, but seems not to be a problem as long as the drs. are keeping a close watch.

ask your rheumy to recommend a nephrologist who is familiar with the effects of auto immune diseases on kidneys. i just started seeing a really great nephrologist, and she is actively involved in the local lupus support organization. Also, sjogren's affects the kidneys as well.

congrats on the great rheumy...such a relief when we get one who communicates with us.

steve.b
03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
good to see another switched on rheumy. hope all goes well.

Nat
03-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the info on a nephrologist Phyllis - will definitely ask about that next time I go. He has said he wont need to see me for 3 months at least but will call when the next lot of tests results come back. Hopefully it will be good news before my holiday!!! So lucky for this dr, had one before that didnt appear particularly interested in the side effects i was experiencing from the medication and was just generally a bit of a d!ck! and I figure if I'm paying $200 each visit then I should have a decent doc!

mountaindreamer
03-30-2011, 11:20 AM
hi nat,

there you go.....it is your money, your body, and your health....you "should have a decent doc", and you deserve one....

Linda From Australia
04-15-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm interested to find out who your Rheummy is ... PM me