PDA

View Full Version : Night hunger

serand4
03-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Strange question, but I'm curious. Since I came down with Lupus, I suddenly will wake up at around 2:00am just starving. I know better than to eat much, but I have to eat something right away - like when I experience hypoglycemia. I have definitely changed my eating habits as I have to keep portions very small so maybe that's it. Or does our condition enhance the hypoglycemia?

ritzbit
03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't know what medicine if any you are on but since I started taking medrol, a steroid, I get hungry late at night. I eat all the time. I don't know much about hypoglycemia. Sorry if I wasn't helpful lol

GoodDog
03-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Since I've been taking prednisone I'm hungry all the time too. I no longer have the full feeling ever, even after eating a big meal. If I wake up during the night I'm also hungry. One evening when I first started taking it I decided to see how much food it would take for me to feel full. I ate 5 baked potatoes and still didn't feel full, just sick of potatoes. LOL I imagine that's one reason people taking prednisone gain weight. I don't remember if that's what you take, though.

Bonita
03-25-2011, 02:04 PM
This seems to be a problem for me also and i do not like the weight gain from pred either so then i get depressed. it is just a vicious cycle i want to get off. Bonita

rob
03-25-2011, 04:44 PM
You know, maybe, for about a year before my SLE diagnosis I started having this same thing happen, just like you describe it Serand. I still have this happen, often in the middle of the night, but now, there is no food that even sounds appetizing. I gained weight back when I was first diagnosed, but in the years since, I've lost that and then some. Now, I have a hard time eating, because most of the time nothing, and I mean nothing, even remotely sounds or tastes good.

It's strange, because there is a disconnect somewhere. My body makes it very clear that I'm hungry, but my mind just does not want to eat. I go out, or do something with my family when it's been a long time since breakfast, and Karen asks me why I don't eat. I know I have to, but even my favorite breakfast foods taste like crap.

I don't get it.

Rob

red246
03-25-2011, 04:57 PM
You know, maybe, for about a year before my SLE diagnosis I started having this same thing happen, just like you describe it Serand. I still have this happen, often in the middle of the night, but now, there is no food that even sounds appetizing. I gained weight back when I was first diagnosed, but in the years since, I've lost that and then some. Now, I have a hard time eating, because most of the time nothing, and I mean nothing, even remotely sounds or tastes good.

It's strange, because there is a disconnect somewhere. My body makes it very clear that I'm hungry, but my mind just does not want to eat. I go out, or do something with my family when it's been a long time since breakfast, and Karen asks me why I don't eat. I know I have to, but even my favorite breakfast foods taste like crap.

I don't get it.

Rob

Rob,

I have just started having this problem where I'm not hungry or I just don't want to eat cuz nothing tastes good. I have been forcing myself to eat for the past few weeks. I really could just get by w/eating only a bowl of cheerios though for the entire day! I've never been a big eater, but this is ridiculous. When I was on 40 mg, and up, of prednisone I would get hungry late at night, popcorn works well - as long as it's not loaded w/toppings! lol

rob
03-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Rob,

I have just started having this problem where I'm not hungry or I just don't want to eat cuz nothing tastes good. I have been forcing myself to eat for the past few weeks. I really could just get by w/eating only a bowl of cheerios though for the entire day! I've never been a big eater, but this is ridiculous. When I was on 40 mg, and up, of prednisone I would get hungry late at night, popcorn works well - as long as it's not loaded w/toppings! lol

It's weird, isn't it? I sometimes do find something that for some reason tastes really good for now, and I eat nothing but. Honey-Nut Cheerios were once my food for about a week. Another week all that tasted good was rice with soy sauce-lots of it. It's like anything really salty, or sugary, works sometimes. S**t, when I was a tanker I could sleep through anything. The main gun firing, down there comfortable in the drivers seat. And anything, I mean anything the mess hall cooked up and sent out to us, was the finest food you had ever had.

I slept like a baby through tanks firing their main gun, and the food, which by most standards was kind of blah, was the best food I've ever had. I wish I could go back there. Good food, good sleep...

Maybe all I need is marginal food and an M1A1 Abrams, and I'll be ok.

tgal
03-25-2011, 06:48 PM
~Sticks my tongue out at Rob and Lauren~

Sadly I am with the group that wakes up hungry and goes to bed hungry. I don't even have to like what I am willing to eat! LOL

Now that they had to lower my Ammitiptyline because of side effects I too am waking again about 3AM starving and craving chocolate! I hate that I need steroids so badly :)

magistramarla
03-25-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm with you, Mari,
I love to cook and love to eat, and there are very few things that I won't cook or eat. That's what gets me into trouble!
I can't take steroids, so that's one advantage.
I do feel like I have some hypoglycemia. If I don't eat very soon after getting up in the morning, I get cranky and sick.
When we travel in the car, Jeff tends to keep driving and forgets to stop for meals at regular intervals. He's had to learn to
remember to stop and feed the beast, or I get shaky, sick and cranky. That's hypoglycemia, isn't it?
Hugs,
Marla

GoodDog
03-26-2011, 11:55 AM
I haven't had a bad flareup since being on Prednisone but I remember when I had one I would crave certain foods, like oatmeal, and that's all I would eat. Nothing but the food I was craving sounded good and I couldn't eat it. I have odd cravings with this anemia but nothing like that.

serand4
03-26-2011, 01:17 PM
This was really enlightening for me! Especially the cereal part because for the past three years it has been my "go-to" food. Very plain cereal with soy milk. And it definitely sounds like hypoglycemia is hooked into this disease too. With GERD and IBS, I can't ever allow myself to really get full. It will sit right at the base of my throat and half choke me all night. I remember the first time the Gerd hit. I took a big drink of soda and ended up spraying it all over the inside of the driverside window! I've learned to keep a napkin over my mouth at restaurants to prevent spraying the person across from me! And Rob, I have absolutely been in your situation at restaurants. Now, after a few years, no one gets that really sad, helpless look as I scramble to find something that I will actually be able to eat. I should weigh about 30 lbs less than I do based upon my calorie intake but good ol' prednisone keeps me nice and bloated! I saw myself in one of those cameras at the grocery store the other day and barely recognized myself! Oh well, that's another topic! Thanks for the great input. Again, I don't feel so isolated.

Nonna
03-27-2011, 09:01 AM
hypoglycemia is definitely linked in here. It is due to an overactive pancreas over producing insulin. I believe that when the glands of our body are attacked they either over produce or under produce. I also have IBS and probably GERD; I'm watching my sugar already as I've lost several glands already to AI. I'm always hungry anymore. But I thinks that's cause I know I shouldn't eat cause I can't lose the weight. I will sneak down for a cookie at 2,3,4 sometimes even 5 AM....
Shame on me

Can someone figure out how to eat and not gain weight?
Please I'm desperate to eat to my fill.

LOL
Nonna

Colleenc
03-27-2011, 09:39 AM
I have the same problem!! Mostly because I don't sleep very well due to prednisone. I wake up go on computer, read or watch TV and I get bored so I eat and that late at night it's usually junk food!! Usually something sweet like chocolate pudding cups from my kids school lunches!!

Peridot20_Gem
03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Well i can be knocked out of this discussion because i never crave food and only touch my meal at night but susan i wish you the best trying to get to the bottom of it.

~Hugs Terri~xxx