PDA

View Full Version : Bone marrow donors, organ donors, blood donors?

bunny28
03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
HI all! (reposted from newly diagnosed, was in the wrong room!)

This may seem like an odd questions but can someone with Lupus be eligible to donate 1) blood, 2) bone marrow and/or 3)organs?

I previously registered with a bone marrow registration program with have here. And if I was ever a potential match for someone, they would contact me. I have tried to update my info with them and asked the question specifically for that but have not yet received an answer. I was just sort of thinking about it and started to wonder about the other categories too...Anyone know?

Thanks.

GoodDog
03-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I asked my doctor and she said no, but maybe it's because of my other AI.

tgal
03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
I was told that I am no longer able to give. I wouldn't want to even take a chance of giving this to someone else.

mountaindreamer
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
i was also told that i could not donate. i even took my "donor registration" off the records.

like mari, i don't want to even take the chance of passing this on to someone else.

Saysusie
03-21-2011, 09:07 PM
No chronic diseases are eligible to donate blood or bone marrow. However, depending upon the type of chronic disease and any internal organ damage, some organs may be donated. But, it is very difficult to do so due to the chronic illness :-(

steve.b
03-22-2011, 02:03 AM
if you have a chronic illness, or on serious medication (methotrexate), you also are unable to donate.

in australia, i have had to also remove my name from the organ donation register.

rob
03-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Yep, my Dr. and Rheumo both told me the same thing too. For the most part, basically no, we can't be organ donors. Bummer.

Rob

Bonita
03-22-2011, 05:37 AM
i did not know you cannot be and organ donor but i know because of my enemia i cannot no longer give blood. Bonita

bunny28
03-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks everyone. It is precisely for these reasons that I wanted to know. Better go update my donor cards/statuses.

Thanks.

Bunny