PDA

View Full Version : copaxone anyone

daylight
03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone here is using or has tried copaxone for there Lupus? I was going to ask my doc to start me on this for my MS and thought that maybe its a double duty drug that might help with my lupus as well. Wishful thinking .
I'd much rather take one shot than two.
Anyone know anything about this??

Thank ya'all

tgal
03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
I can't help you with this. I am not on it. Hopefully someone will come along soon with more info!

Peridot20_Gem
04-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi Daylight,

Sorry i'm unable to help you like mari but in due course someone will answer who's taking the medication but i'm adding abit of information below incase it helps in any way.

Copaxone (Glatiramer Acetate) ( refT3 )
The active ingredient of Copaxone , glatiramer acetate, is a synthetic compound of four amino acids. Copaxone may be given to reduce relapses in people with relapsing-remitting MS. Such people should be ambulatory (able to walk) and have had at least two relapses in the last 2 years.

Copaxone is a suitable treatment for people with RRMS who have had at least two attacks of neurological dysfunction over the proceeding two-year period.

Copaxone is given as a daily subcutaneous injection (under the skin). The dose is 20 mg (milligrams). Decisions about the length of treatment should be made by the treating physician on an individual basis.

Licensed in 2002, Copaxone is manufactured by Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd.

Use of this product will be determind by your neurologist according to guidance layed out in the risk-sharing scheme. More information can be found by going to www.mstrust.org.uk

More detailed prescribing information on Copaxone can be found by going to www.medicines.org.uk. Typing Copaxone into the search box and pressing Go will bring you to the patient information leaflet usually packaged with the drug.

rob
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I was on Copaxone to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia. It worked well at first, but then the TN flares returned and I switched to Tegretol, which so far, has worked well. I don't know if the Copaxone had any effect on my SLE or MS, as I wasn't on it for very long. Bloodwork/tests didn't indicate that anything had changed in relation to SLE and MS. And I don't know if SLE or MS symptoms were supressed. The debilitating pain of TN tends to drown out any other pain that you may be having at the time. And, I have such a mixed soup of symptoms it's hard to tell what med affects what.

But, everyone is different, and Copaxone did indeed stop my neurological pain from TN, although only for a relatively short time. It might help you. I would ask your Doc if he thinks it's something you could try.

Rob

tgal
04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I was on Copaxone to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia. It worked well at first, but then the TN flares returned and I switched to Tegretol, which so far, has worked well. I don't know if the Copaxone had any effect on my SLE or MS, as I wasn't on it for very long. Bloodwork/tests didn't indicate that anything had changed in relation to SLE and MS. And I don't know if SLE or MS symptoms were supressed. The debilitating pain of TN tends to drown out any other pain that you may be having at the time. And, I have such a mixed soup of symptoms it's hard to tell what med affects what.

But, everyone is different, and Copaxone did indeed stop my neurological pain from TN, although only for a relatively short time. It might help you. I would ask your Doc if he thinks it's something you could try.

Rob

I really wish this place had a like button! The line about TN pain drowning out the other pain is SOOOO very true!