PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and Thyroid?

ritzbit
03-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Is there any connection between having lupus and having a thyroid problem? And if so what kind of problems would you have.

magistramarla
03-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Ritz,
Look through the archives - I know that someone has posted a lot of good info about the thyroid, maybe jmail. I think that Hashimoto's is some sort of thyroid/AI disease, too.
I must admit that I'm not familiar with thyroid problems, since my doc always says that mine is "fine".
Hopefully, some of our experts will be along with more info soon.
I hope that you are feeling better tonight and had fun with your little brother's B-day. Have a restful Sunday.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
03-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I was feeling slightly better today. It was hard because I had to partially play "host" since the party was at my house and I was too tired to be up on my feet. I felt really uncomfortable even though it was just my family because it was really the first time I've been around a lot of people since I started looking all different from the steroids. I was really self conscience. Im a really tiny person and no matter what I put on you could see the gut I've gained. Me and my mom joke I look magically 4 months pregnant, which is ok with my mom, but I didnt want everyone else noticing. I didnt look any different until middle of last week. Going to school is going to suck when I make it back this week.

My doctor said she's going to check my thyroid at my next appointment. I found a few things online earlier but I hope someone on here has some first hand knowledge.

magistramarla
03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't worry about how you look, sweetie. Just dress comfortably and concentrate on getting better.
You're beautiful to all of us.
Have you read Jane Eyre in English class? There is a new film version coming out, and I think that Jane is
a heroine that you might like. Catch the movie if you can!
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
I almost read that over the summer but the book was more than I had left on my Borders gift card lol Maybe I'll go back and get it soon, I've heard its a good book. Im trying to wear clothes that hide my stomach but a lot of my clothes are more fitted, so now my stomach is very noticable. I didnt think I'd care as much as I do. I dont want to be the girl at school everyone thinks is pregnant or something, because thats really how it looks because all this extra weight is right in my stomach. Im pretty sure its just more fluid/swelling not actual weight gain but still. I dont want anyone saying anything to me about it because Im probably going to go off on them and then feel bad for it.

steve.b
03-20-2011, 04:01 AM
use it to your advantage,
tell everyone the truth, it is a side effect of being so sick.

Nonna
03-20-2011, 04:16 AM
Hi Marla is right. When AI effects the thyroid it is called Hashimoto's Disease. That will make your T levels drop and you have Hypothyroidism. That and the pred will make weight control very hard. I put on 35 pound in a matter of weeks. That doesn't mean it will effect you that way. I'm 63 and you are young. But the sooner you have an answer , the sooner you can control it. Above all see an endocrenogist and remind your doctor that the testing range does not apply to everyone.

Hope this helps if you have any patient questions, I will do my best to answer. I have almost 30 years experience here. I lost my thyroid in my 20's

nonna

lovehubby
03-20-2011, 07:22 AM
nonna is so right I too have hasimotos which is a AI which is not uncommon to have with Lupus when we have AI it seems like it is never just one they like to travel together LOL Hasimotos causes you to be tired and swelling of the hands and puffing under the eyes loss of hair muscle pain dry skin there are more but they have some good sites on the net you can look up. I have had it for 18 years and Mine has been hard to control it is up and down all the time. They have to change my dose of synthroid alot. They tried me on armour but it made me worse so I just take synthroid or the generic. Hope this helped take care

tgal
03-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I know it is hard but I agree with the others! Work at getting better and then all the rest will get better too

ritzbit
03-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Anyone ever heard of Graves Disease? It keeps coming up in my searches I was doing. I shouldn't look so many things up on the internet lol I dont even know if there is anything wrong with my thyroid but now I feel compelled to look everything up on it because I know my doctor is checking mine.

Nonna
03-20-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm going to google Grave's disease, but I wanted to say that maybe sometimes we research more than we should that's why we need the objecticeness of our doctors. Just make sure they run tests on all t levels to be safe

hugs nonna

Bonita
03-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Grave diease has to do with the thyroid too. I know that with the meds i am on both my doctors told me i will not lose weight which is frustrating so hang in there . Bonita

ritzbit
03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
My legs are getting better today but some of the other problems are still there. Heart still racing. Feeling dizzy. Still have that shaky feeling. Its weird if I lay down and put something on my stomach and hold my breath you can see that its vibrating like crazy from my heart beating! I really dont think thats normal....And I know its not in my head because my mom and brothers notice it too. Its weird. Im going to try to go to school half a day tomorrow and see how it goes. I dont have a real class tomorrow until 3rd period so Im going to stay home until that class. Hope that goes well.

Nonna
03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
That sounds like a hyper thyroid instead of hypo. What is your blood sugar levels

mountaindreamer
03-20-2011, 03:04 PM
i ritz,

i too hope tomorrow goes ok for you. you are very brave, and i am so proud of your inner strength. like the others said, focus on your health, and if anyone asks about your weight, just tell this is one of the few visible effects of your illness....

also, keep all of your research in perspective. it is absolutely important that you learn as much as you can, but remember that there are some things on the internet that scare us, but don't really apply to us...

ritzbit
03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I know because I've looked up SO many things that all my symptoms fall into. Im just focusing on the thyroid possiblity because my doctor said she was going to check it this week. I guess I'll know by the end of the week if thats what it is. And I dont know what my blood sugar is I dont think I've ever had that checked.

I feel like people were looking at me last week because I clearly couldnt walk and looked like I was about to pass out. Its probably mostly in my head, and usually I could careless what people have to say or think about me, but when I feel like crap about how I look myself I dont want other people to think I look like crap too. Im going to wash some loose fitting clothes tonight so I'll be more comfortable.

Nonna
03-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Ritz you should try to calm, I think I may have upset you. I'm so sorry. You are probably working yourself up and that only makes matters worse. I am probably at fault for helping you do this. Please do you best to calm down and leave events unfold naturally.

I am so sorry to have been part of the stress factor.

Nonna

ritzbit
03-20-2011, 03:47 PM
No I've actually freaked out about blood sugar before lol before I found out I had lupus I was convinced I was diabetic for awhile. A lot of people in my family are. I used to make my aunt check me to make me feel better but that was years ago. It probably wouldnt hurt to check that every few months.

magistramarla
03-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Ritz,
Good luck at school tomorrow. Try not to worry. It's a good thing that the docs are finally taking you seriously and are checking for all of this. Now, just concentrate on feeling better and lat them do their work.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Im so nervous about school. Its only going to be a few hours but Im afraid of what they're going to say about me having like none of my work done. And I dont want to make the swelling worse again. Im really stressed I almost don't want to go tomorrow because I'm going to be about 2 weeks behind whatever we're doing in all my classes so I'm just going to sit there not knowing whats going on. I almost just want to sit with my counselor all day but I know she's probably going to be busy. The thought of what my teachers might say and trying to explain things to them is making me really stressed and nervous..

I've been so shaky and hot all night still. And I've been having this weird thing happen with my eyes that I dont even know how to describe. If its not one thing its another! Im sick of new problems popping up I want to just get back to normal. So frustrating right now. Too much going on.

magistramarla
03-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Hang in there, kiddo!

ritzbit
03-21-2011, 06:59 AM
My aunt checked my blood sugar this morning and its 77 which I read in normal so I guess thats good. I've been shaking really bad all morning and I dont know if its from nerves, lack of sleep, something else, or all of the above. My pulse is 166 so I decided that going to school might not be the best idea because if its that high from just putting my hair up and walking from the bathroom to the kitchen I dont know what it might go up to actually being up and walking at school. Really frustrated and tired today. I'm going to call my doctor soon because I'm supposed to give an update of how I was over the weekend today. I see her tomorrow.

Bonita
03-21-2011, 07:12 AM
be sure to tell your doctor everything that is happening to you and how you feel and hang in there and let us know love bonita

ritzbit
03-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Its like everytime we change something my body freaks out, only in a different way. I went down on my steroids and my leg swelling went down a little bit, but now I've lost my appetite again, am shaking bad, pulse is high, and my arms are so weak. So is it the lupus or going down on the meds? Or something else. If its not one thing its another I swear and Im getting sick of this. I've felt like poo for a month =( I need a break!

SandyR
03-21-2011, 09:11 AM
http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?8388-Thyroid-References

Here's a thyroid thread I started a while back.

AI Hyperthyroid Disease - Grave's
AI Hypothyroid Disease - Hashimoto's

I remember it like this: hypeR=gRaves; hypO=hasimOtOs

Nonna
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Ritz, have some hugssssssssssssssssssss
nonna

ritzbit
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I didnt know that could cause hair loss. I'm sure lots of things can but I've been telling me doctor for a long time that I have periods where a lot of my hair will start to come out and she always asks if its in one spot and I always say no its spread out over my head but when it comes out its little clumps. She never seems worried about so maybe I shouldnt be either just thought that was interesting from what I read on that thread.

ritzbit
03-21-2011, 12:15 PM
The weird eye thing I tried to mention before is happening again right now it feels like everything Im looking at is shaking back and forth and I cant make it stop I have to wait for it to stop. Also feel really dizzy like I might fall over. Its really weird and at first I didnt think much of it but this is the 3rd or forth time its happened. Im just sitting down right now I want to go look to see if its just me or if you eyes are actually like doing something weird but Im afraid I'll fall.

kim,l
03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
ritz sorry you are feeling unwell i have thyroid problems and have since 1 turned 18 so yes i think they associated with lupus try not research everything on internet it tends to get you very upset i know from experience feel better soon hugs kim l

ritzbit
03-21-2011, 04:33 PM
I called in with all my complaints today and my doctor basically pushed that it was all from lowering the steroids. I can see where some of it could probably be from that especially because we cut it in half, but some of these problems have been going on much longer than just over the weekend she is ridiculous. My mom said if we dont get a better response from her other than "give it a few more days" when we go tomorrow then we are switching doctors because I've been sick with little improvement in weeks.

bunny28
03-21-2011, 05:02 PM
ritzbit - Did you make it to school today? I know you were nervous about your teachers and what they might say. As a teacher, I had a suggestion. If you want to tell them but aren't comfortable doing it in front of your classmates, why not write up a little note to them that you could give thme as you enter the class. You cut just write simply "I have been away due to a medical condition which I would like to discuss with you after class (etc)." You could also say something about being behind in your work and wanting to catch up but knowing you can't do it all at once as you are still trying to stabilize your medical condition...or leave it at the I would like to talk to you later... and then tell them in person.

Right now, I know school can be a huge stressor...and that is not what you need to be concentrating on. There are times in our lives when school(or work) is not the most important thing. Right now you need to get these current physical conditions resolved, and questions answered. Until you feel at least a bit better, it will be really hard to concentrate and/or do your best at the other stuff (school)

ritzbit
03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I just don't feel comfortable talking to them. I really like my counselor and I told her whats been going on and asked her if she could talk to my teachers for me but she hasn't emailed me back yet. She has helped me a lot when I was in school when this flare started. I'm hoping she can help me with all of this too. She is a very nice woman. I'm going to try to go tomorrow morning if nothing else for my college class because I've already missed that twice. I hope it goes well...

mountaindreamer
03-21-2011, 08:37 PM
hi ritz,

hope the drs. visit goes well for you....hope she finally has some answers.

magistramarla
03-21-2011, 08:50 PM
The weird eye thing I tried to mention before is happening again right now it feels like everything Im looking at is shaking back and forth and I cant make it stop I have to wait for it to stop. Also feel really dizzy like I might fall over. Its really weird and at first I didnt think much of it but this is the 3rd or forth time its happened. Im just sitting down right now I want to go look to see if its just me or if you eyes are actually like doing something weird but Im afraid I'll fall.

Ritz,
This sounds like something called nystagmus. I think that it indicates some central nervous system problems. The neurologist found that I had some miled nystagmus. Be sure to describe it to the doc.
Be sure to let us know how the appointment goes.
Lots of Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
I told the nurse about this on the phone and she told me she would tell my doctor. I was not home when they called back and all my step dad said was "she said it was from going down on the steroids". I told everyone to tell the doctors office to call my moms phone if they called while me and her were having me fitted for my compression stockings, but he just went ahead and talked to them when he didnt even know what all I had called about. Kind of makes me mad because Im tired of them trying to run how things go with my doctor. Not a big deal on routine visits but when I feel like crap its my business what she says. I also dont like when he comes to my doctors appointments because he likes to throw in irrelevant things and it wastes time and aggravates me. He is someone who takes everything personally so he would act like a 5 years old if I said I just wanted my mom to come with me. Im in a really bad mood right now sorry for the little rant.

I looked it up and that does kind of sound like what was happening with my eye. It was just really weird.

ritzbit
03-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Don't know why I'm nervous for my appointment but I am. Then again I always FEEL nervous lately. Annoying. Hope it goes well! On a side note I just put up a ton of new pictures on here lol I love butterflies :D