PDA

View Full Version : At least I only broken toe...

tgal
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Let me start by saying that I no longer understand my body. I have dealt with it for 42 years but it is no longer my own. I fall, I trip, I drop things. It is like I have no control of my hands or feet. Tonight I only broke a toe but I have a feeling there will be bigger breaks to come. I say this because I have fallen (and harmed myself) 5 times in the last month and a half and I would like for it to stop!

It was one thing when I was falling with the seizures but now it is just like my feet go out from under me or one foot doesn't move out of the way fast enough. I want my old body back. I am not even talking about the one that is 40 lbs lighter. I hate the weight but it is not the big issues. I want the body that obeys me. When I walk the feet move, when I am standing they don't give out from under me. I am not asking for much. I just want the body and mind to work together again. Is that really too much to ask?l

I really don't have a question nor am I really asking for advice (although if you have any it is welcomed). No, I just needed a place to vent and this is where I come.

Love to each and every one of you!

GoodDog
03-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh no, Mari!! Do we need to put you in a padded room so you don't get hurt? LOL Seriously though, hopefully when you get Medicare and your life isn't threatened by not being able to go to the right doctors, you'll get the medical care you need and it will get better. You're so wonderful about being here for everyone that steps into our home and we need you safe and not broken. You have the most compassionate gift for always saying the right thing to each member here that I've ever seen. (((Mari)))

Toradoradi
03-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Oh dear! A broken toe is still something that doesn't feel good! I hope it heals quickly for you. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time right now. Hopefully this is just a phase in the disease right now And it will get better for you soon. You should get some elbow and knee pads and then a helmet for good measures! You might look ridiculous but at least you'll be safe!
Sorry you're having a crummy day. Tomorrow will be a better day! It is lucky after all!

ruziska
03-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Oh hon, hugs to you! I'm glad it was "only" a toe but it still hurts and it is still frustrating. Stay strong-tomorrow is a new chance for a great day!

tgal
03-16-2011, 08:01 PM
OMG that is so sweet! Everyone here is so wonderful that it is impossible not to be wonderful in return!

As for the padded room... I am thinking that I might need to convert the garage! LOL

LOL@ the knee pads... I just can't touch that one (it would be soooo easy!)

Love ya'll for laughing with me

Colleenc
03-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Ahhh Mari.... I can so sympathize with you especially after my last 6 weeks!!! I feel your frustration with having a body that doesn't cooperate any longer. I hope you don't hurt yourself anymore. I laugh at the helmet thing but I'm seriously thinking about it, or my fam has offered to get me a bubble!!! At least a broken toe won't leave you with a scar. I now have 5, 3 of which are very large... Can you say bride of frankenstein.)<:
I hope you have a better day tomorrow, I'm thinking of you!!

Colleen

tgal
03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Ahhh Mari.... I can so sympathize with you especially after my last 6 weeks!!! I feel your frustration with having a body that doesn't cooperate any longer. I hope you don't hurt yourself anymore. I laugh at the helmet thing but I'm seriously thinking about it, or my fam has offered to get me a bubble!!! At least a broken toe won't leave you with a scar. I now have 5, 3 of which are very large... Can you say bride of frankenstein.)<:
I hope you have a better day tomorrow, I'm thinking of you!!

Colleen

lol @ 5... I think I can beat ya but let me count..

1. Sprained knee from falling
2. Twisted ankle from falling
3. scarred knee from falling
4. broken toe from catching myself from falling LOL

Nope! You win! LOL

Colleenc
03-16-2011, 08:18 PM
I always tell my friends and family as a joke "I always win somehow"!! LOL
You certainly have me beat in the bone injuring dept, that has yet to come but give me a few weeks!!

Take Care XO

steve.b
03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
sorry to hear of the toe.
love the padded suggestions.
a few years ago, coke and fanta had there adds with a giant padded ball.
i can picture you.................not

tgal
03-17-2011, 05:48 AM
sorry to hear of the toe.
love the padded suggestions.
a few years ago, coke and fanta had there adds with a giant padded ball.
i can picture you.................not

LOL I could you a padded ball! That would be kinda fun to roll it around

mountaindreamer
03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
it is so strange.

sometimes, it is like my legs need a few seconds to remember how to move....i will just stand for a minute, and people ask me if i am ok....i say yes, my legs just have to be reminded to move forward one at a time. lol

dropping things drives me crazy, cause then i have to find a way to get down and clean up the mess....oh, the joys of being lupie....

lovehubby
03-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Mari have they ever tested you for MS it sure sounds like you have alot of what happens to people with MS. I say that because my brother and my sister have MS and that is what happens to them all the time.

tgal
03-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Hey Michele. Yes, I have been tested for MS and it came out negative. The spots on my brain led them to check and they were normal. So your entire family have AI diseases? I bet that is hard!

magistramarla
03-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Hey Mari,
I sympathize. I fell onto the cats' daybed this morning when I was trying to open the blinds on the patio door. I tried to catch myself, but sat down hard onto the wrought-iron frame of it. Yes - my cats are that spoiled. They have their own little wrought-iron daybed with a fleece-lined pad so that they can relax in front of the patio door. I'm sure that the knobs on that thing have left some interesting bruises on my backside!

I'm often full of bruises from my falls and near-misses. I always joke with Jeff that it looks like he's been beating me again.
I hope your toe feels better soon.
Hugs,
Marla

bunny28
03-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry that you have fallen so many times. A broken toe hurts so feel free to vent....

I was going to try to make you feel better with the story of my very good friend who once walked into a lightpole while on vacation in a foreign country and needed stitches.... She wasn't drinking or anything just walked right into it! So these things happen...to all of us. I think you have had your share now though so just let someone else take a turn, why don't you? lol Smile.

tgal
03-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Let's not start sharing lifetime stories because if we do I will have to tell about the time I superglued my eye shut. Yes, seriously

lovehubby
03-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Mari I glued my fake fingernail to my lip once try to top that one LOL

Colleenc
03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Mari, mari..... AHHHHHH I did the same thing (superglue eye shut) WHHOOOO we are way to much a like!!!!!

Colleen

Saysusie
03-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Mari; Did I have the same superglue experience or do I remember you telling us about yours? That sound sooooo familiar to me LOL

I am sorry to hear that you are still taking tumbles or that your legs are not cooperating with you. I have to agree with the knee pads and helmet..even the padded room. I think that we could all use those precautions. I've often thought about re-designing my house using props from movie steps (Styrofoam stairs, rubber floors, and paper walls) LOL

I hope that you do not take any more tumbles or suffer any more injuries from tumbles. Take Care :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Toradoradi
03-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Let's not start sharing lifetime stories because if we do I will have to tell about the time I superglued my eye shut. Yes, seriously

Alright... I have to ask. Lol How did you manage that? And how do you get them unglued?? Did you put super glue next to your eye drops?

tgal
03-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Mari; Did I have the same superglue experience or do I remember you telling us about yours? That sound sooooo familiar to me LOL

I am sorry to hear that you are still taking tumbles or that your legs are not cooperating with you. I have to agree with the knee pads and helmet..even the padded room. I think that we could all use those precautions. I've often thought about re-designing my house using props from movie steps (Styrofoam stairs, rubber floors, and paper walls) LOL

I hope that you do not take any more tumbles or suffer any more injuries from tumbles. Take Care :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

LOL IF you figure out how to redo your home please let me know!!

tgal
03-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Alright... I have to ask. Lol How did you manage that? And how do you get them unglued?? Did you put super glue next to your eye drops?

Umm welll Back in the mid 80s we were just starting to "get our nails done" so what was really big was to do our own. I had a friend that wtlorked at a beaty shop and she got the real nails for me. I did them myself and carried nail glue with me (the kind I got wasn't like that in the package now). So I kept a bottle of it in my purse. During this time I got an eye infection. One bottle was pink with a white lid and the other was white with a pink lid... yes, you see it coming! I grabbed the wrong bottle and put 3 drops in and closed my eyes just like the meds said and when I went to open it... OMG what the heck have I done!!! Add to this my entire family was with me, we were in a hotel because on the following day we were to sell shirts at a festival. Well, I had to go to the ER and was there most of the night as they tried to get it unglued!

Oh you have idea how many things I have like that in my life! Well, most of them were from my teen/drug years. I think I would be a great "stay away from drugs" spokeswoman! LOL

SandyR
03-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Oh Mari! I'm laughing at the horror of your poor eye situation. I somehow missed this thread entirely but caught it just in time to read this story. You must have had the doctors in stitches! What are we going to do with ourselves? We all fall down at random wills of the body we don't understand. We are functionally unable to function the way we once were. We'd look for houses and apartments with padded rooms and floors if they were on the market and our poor tired over worked and heavily fogged brains can't seem to keep straight which bottles are medications and which are super adhesive solutions. It's amazing our heads are still attached. Thank God for spinal cords! I'm really sorry to hear about your toesies. Maybe you might want to start bubble wrapping all the corners of your house like we did for babies back in the day when they started walking. Don't forget to do the corners of the coffee table too!

tgal
03-22-2011, 11:42 AM
LOL Toe is fine now but I was laughing as I typed about the super glue! The ER people were laughing until they called poison control and they were freaked out! People started talking about surgery and then I STOPPED laughing. Thankfully a young EMS worker came in and started doing the obvious. "here. Keep a warm wet rag on the eye until they figure out what to do". You have never heard someone scream from joy as much as I did when I saw that tiny speck of light! Oh my that was a crazy night.

To make matters worse I had to wear this HUGE eye cover for 48 hours and we had to be at this festival! I never knew how much the eyes work together! My brothers, however, thought it was GREAT because they could walk up on that side and scare the crap out of me!!

Colleenc
03-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Well that sounds awful!! However I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has done this, it seems to be more common then I thought!! (<:

Nonna
03-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Dang, how did I miss this thread? Well no superglue story fromme, but I am the Queen of broken toes. Broke them so many timesthat the foot doc was amazed. When we walk sometimes the foot does not get the message from the brain. There is a name but I can't think of it at the moment. It's just something connected with your seizures and my parkinson's

So sorry I missed this
hugs Toni

BarbaraB
03-24-2011, 06:50 AM
You have my sympathy sweety. I'm a member of this club too. The worst thing I think I do is misjudge where the opening to the door is and slam into the doorway. I try to race through the house with the dog and some days that just doesn't go so well. I've finally learned to laugh most of the time. My daughter calls the bad days my "helmet days". Take care of that toe.

tgal
03-24-2011, 08:23 AM
LOL I am loving this thread. I don't feel so dumb now!

magistramarla
03-24-2011, 11:26 AM
My friends worry about me when I'm hobbling around. They saw the huge bruise on the side of my leg from falling on the cat's daybed at the New Students' Orientation on Tuesday.
We had a board members' evening out that night. We went to a wine, olive oil and vinegar tasting party that evening. They were concerned about me driving all the way to Carmel, so I got to ride with Anne and Lisa - both wives of the top officers here, who both happen to be former astronauts - that was a fun evening!
As I was struggling out of the back seat with my bottle of wine when we arrived back at my car, Anne rushed around the car to help me. She took my package to my car for me. She said - "I don't want you to fall with that bottle of wine - that would be alcohol abuse!"
I know that I worry my friends, but I wobble along and still have fun with them.
Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Marla; Your post also reminds us just how understanding, caring, and helpful people can be. Sometimes, when we, too often, run into ignorant, uncaring, and unkind people, we tend to forget that the world is filled with so many more who are generous and thoughtful. And, because of that, we can still have fun, in spite of our many limitations! Also, it is good to know that, included within their kindness, is their ability to help us find humor and give us a good laugh. :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
03-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Dang, how did I miss this thread? Well no superglue story fromme, but I am the Queen of broken toes. Broke them so many timesthat the foot doc was amazed. When we walk sometimes the foot does not get the message from the brain. There is a name but I can't think of it at the moment. It's just something connected with your seizures and my parkinson's

So sorry I missed this
hugs Toni

Dang! We are quite a pair!!

Toradoradi
03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Lolol I am just now catching up on this thread! Some hilarious stuff going on in here! Glad they were able get your eye unglued! I'm sure in the years to come I will have a few stories of my own to share with you all that will indeed involve you laughing at my trials of life!

Colleenc
04-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I just re read the rest of this post and I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one to ever have glued my eye shut with superglue!!! I had to show my hubby your post, cause he thought I was the only crazy person out there to ever do this. Mine happened at work and I went to the ER ( yes the crappy one that I complain about all the time on here) and they could not get it open surprise!! LOL I had glue that had hardened inside my eye and was scrapping my cornea everytime my eye moved (felt like 100 eyelashes in my eye) I seen several docs and had about 4 trips to the ER in 4 days. Finally we drove to a bigger city and there they put me out and cut the glue (and my eyelashes and brow) out. I needed glasses and an eye patch afterwards cause of the damage it had caused. Wow I had almost forgotten I had done that until I read it here. I did it about 13 years ago long before I got sick...

tgal
04-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I just re read the rest of this post and I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one to ever have glued my eye shut with superglue!!! I had to show my hubby your post, cause he thought I was the only crazy person out there to ever do this. Mine happened at work and I went to the ER ( yes the crappy one that I complain about all the time on here) and they could not get it open surprise!! LOL I had glue that had hardened inside my eye and was scrapping my cornea everytime my eye moved (felt like 100 eyelashes in my eye) I seen several docs and had about 4 trips to the ER in 4 days. Finally we drove to a bigger city and there they put me out and cut the glue (and my eyelashes and brow) out. I needed glasses and an eye patch afterwards cause of the damage it had caused. Wow I had almost forgotten I had done that until I read it here. I did it about 13 years ago long before I got sick...

LOL Ok so I am NOT alone!

The same thing happened to me when I went to the ER! They had NO clue how to get it off! They started calling poison control and talking about surgery to which I began getting a tad bit scared. Thankfully this young EMS officer came into the hospital and found out what was going on. He walked into my room and brought two wet cloths. He looked at my mom and my sister in law and said "Run hot water over these and when it is as warm as she can take put one over the eye until it begins to cool down. When it has cooled switch to the other one so there is constant warmth on the eye". We had nothing left to lose so we gave it a try. About 30 min into it and everyone still running around with like chickens with their heads cut off it happened: When I removed the rag I could see a pinpoint of light in the corner of my eye! LOL It was like a freaking party in the hospital!

Took another 3 hours but they eye opened and the glue came off my eye almost like a contact. It was all in one sheet laying on my eye! Like you I lost all my eye lashes and the eyebrow I was had a patch over my eye but thank goodness no surgery!

I love to hear that someone else can identify with me! too funny!!

Colleenc
04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I know way to funny, I think we maybe a lot alike!!!

(<:

Linda From Australia
04-25-2011, 03:13 AM
tgal I suppose your toe has all healed up by now. Hopefully you haven't had too many more falls while you were healing.