PDA

View Full Version : Leg/Foot cramps!! Please make them stop...

Colleenc
03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
For the last few weeks I have had painful lower leg and foot cramps, they come on fast and hurt so very bad!! Sometimes my toes get all missed shaped. They happen in bed sitting , moving the wrong way. I had this when i was pregnant and I remember the doc saying then I was deficiant in some vitamine. Does anybody have any ideas on how to make them stop or what is causing them?

Toradoradi
03-14-2011, 11:00 PM
I know if you eat bananas it helps with muscle cramping. Its a lack of potassium. Not sure if that will help or not or if it's caused by the same thing but that usually helps when I eat them.

tgal
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi There! I do know some medss can cause cramps in your limbs (BP meds and Cholesterol meds) because it lowers your potassium (as Tori said above). I started losing mine when I was pregnant with my daughter and was placed in the hospital twice. Here is what my doctor told me. Of course eat bananas, tomatoes ( I will post a link) to potassium rich foods. If that isn't working then you need to ask the pharmacist (they usually know and are free) if potassium tablets and magnesium tablets will be OK with your current meds. The reason I say potassium and magnesium is that when a person is losing potasium sometimes it is hard to get it to stay up even doing al the right things. Magnesium tends to to stop the potasium from depleting once it is brought up.

Angel Oliver
03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I also get very bad foot and leg cramps especially at night in bed.I have to make sure the cover at the bottom is loose so my feet can moved.I am on Robaxin other name is Methocarbomal.Since taking 2 of these twice daily,hardly any cramping at all.Dont get me wrong i do get it every now and again,but this drug helps allot.My doctor gave it me last year.Like you my feet n toes would seperate and i would scream.Worst pain is the calf cramps omg i can not move or touch it at all and lasts forever.Then after i limp.Hope you ask your doctor to help you.Mention this med,dont suffer in silence.
love
Amanda.xxx

Colleenc
03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks to everyone for replying....

I think it is from me losing to much potassium. For those who have not been following my other post, I was severly dehydrated from an adrenal crisis (caused by trying to wean off pred) in late Jan and early Feb. I looked at my blood work and my potassium levels were very low then (they treated me with IV fluids) and the last round of blood work from 3 weeks ago showed it at the high end of low. So I went a bought a bunch of bananas today, I see my doc Thursday and will mention this in case I need a supplement or something (I hope not another pill to add to the mixture) I currently don't take any blood presure meds or cholesterol meds Mari, I'm on plaq, pred, tinzaparin (which is an injection for blood clots) actonel, tylenol 3's, Imovane, vit D, calcium and my Imuran is on hold due to the arm surgery and infection.

LOL (well actually crying) I just had one when I was typing this!! DAM they hurt....

Colleen

tgal
03-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Hun try to add a magnesium tablet to that. You can get them over the counter and it will help hold the potassium in your body. Just make sure to ask the pharmacist if it will cause issues with your other meds. I firmly believe in the magnesium/potassium combo because my daughter would never have made it full term if we didn't do that.

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon!

Toradoradi
03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Word of advice- when you get a cramp try not to stretch it out because you may tear a muscle and it will hurt for days on end instead grab it and shake it out because it will loosen it instead of stretch it which is what you want. Thats what I was always told while I was a ballet dancer for 11 yrs. Always shake, never stretch! Hope that and the bananas helps! Don't want a pulled muscle on top of everything else!

Toradoradi
03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Haha... I'm a tadpole! Do I become a frog after this??

steve.b
03-16-2011, 05:39 AM
i also take magnesium.
they say chewing the powder is the most effective.
but yuk
i take a tablet and it helps.
most of the energy drinks are magnesium based. but be careful of those with guava or cafine.
i used to buy a powder you dilute into your liquid of choice, but tablets are cheaper.
watch the strength. (over 500mg) is better, something to do with the type of magnesium used.

tgal
03-16-2011, 08:27 AM
There is a great (funny) thread in here about moving up in the Animal Kingdom. It always make me snicker

Colleenc
03-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone!!! I have eaten 5 bananas since yesterday (even though they make my tongue itchy). Still getting them. But I see the doc tomorrow I will for sure ask about the magnesium/potassium combo. I also need bloodwork it's been a few weeks since the last. I'm glad to see other people have had this problem, with all that has been going on I was afraid they were related to the syncopes I have been having...

C
Oh I went from a little goldfish to a BIG goldfish, next a shark!!! LOL

magistramarla
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Colleen,
My leg muscles are constantly tight and often spasm. My calf and thigh muscles look tight and toned, like those of a runner. My legs spasm so much at night, it wakes me up several times a night. The neuro was just sure that I had MS, but a lumbar puncture proved him wrong. He dropped me after that.
All the docs can tell me is that there is nothing wrong with my muscles - go figure!
I've been taking the potassium and magnesium for quite a while, and eating a banana with my breakfast.
Let me know if your doc has any new ideas.
Hugs,
Marla

Colleenc
03-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Seen doc, she says they are probably caused from my potassium being up and down due to my adrenal problems. She did blood work to check my potassium levels and everything else, Because my potassium has been very high and low over these last 2 months, she does not want me taking a supplement until we get the results back and she wants to keep a close eye on it. I didn't know this but apparently to high of potassium can be very dangerous. So i will just grin and bare it (oh and eat my bananas) until I find out!! They also suspect I have necrosis in my right hip (from the large doses of steroids) waiting on an urgent MRI, not sure if that could be causing problems lower down??

C

Nonna
03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Low blood calcium also causes this. You might have those levels checked. I have these all the time. I take a muscle relaxer to calm them

good thoughts are being sent your way

GoodDog
03-18-2011, 07:54 PM
My calf muscles are like yours and when they spasm it makes me scream. The pain is much worse than in the muscles that aren't tight like this. My muscle problems are from an AI I have from taking contaminated L-tryptophan back in 1989. At first I would have muscle spasms all over and all at once, even under my chin. It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced and I'm sure glad they've settled down some. I still suffer a great deal but nothing like then.

Colleenc
03-18-2011, 08:02 PM
They are checking my calcium and a bunch of other things!!!
Gooddog I can't imagine having them all over, thank goodness they are only in my feet and lower legs.

Thank you for the good thoughts Nonna, I need them!!

magistramarla
03-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Colleen,
Go check this website to learn about AVN, or necrosis. http://avnsupport.org/
Hugs,
Marla

Numpty
03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I know exactly how this is going to sound but it worked for me while I was pregnant and having leg cramps so bad I'm sure it would have hurt less to chew my own leg off.... but what I did was take my fridge magnets and shove them in a line down my side of the bed underneath the mattress. Space them out, i think I used about 3 or four and I swear, I never had another cramp again after that. It very well may have been coincidence and it sure sounds like an old wives tale but if you're still hurting bad anything is worth a try right? I know you can get those copper / magnetic bracelet things from the pharmacy (at least here in the UK) so maybe it works on the same basis as those?
Hope you find something to help ~hugs~
Claire
x

Colleenc
03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Well Claire that sounds crazy, but I willing to try anything even if it is all in my head!! Although my hubby has told me I may need a new bed, between the six pillows I have to prop up various sore body parts, the heart monitor and all the wires and now my magnets, there is not enough room for him!!! LOL I will let you know how it works.

Marla thanks for that website I will take a look. I'm very interested in diffrent ways of treating the pain associated with AVN, so maybe it will give me some ideas!!

Colleen

GoodDog
03-22-2011, 11:02 PM
The magnets make sense. I had a friend that use to sell those expensive magnet beds and she swore by them. Let us know if it helps.

Colleenc
03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Just checked my lab results on the computer and my potassium was at the low of normal. I have not heard from the doc yet, but I will assume she won't put me on the supplement. She was hesitant becasuse of how much it has fluctuated over the last 2 months. My platelets are low and a few other things are out of whack, so I'm sure she will be calling. I'm going to try the magnets over the next few nights. I will keep you posted!!

C

Peridot20_Gem
03-24-2011, 07:24 AM
For the last few weeks I have had painful lower leg and foot cramps, they come on fast and hurt so very bad!! Sometimes my toes get all missed shaped. They happen in bed sitting , moving the wrong way. I had this when i was pregnant and I remember the doc saying then I was deficiant in some vitamine. Does anybody have any ideas on how to make them stop or what is causing them?Hi Colleen,

I had those condition's your on about when i had Deep Vein Thrombosis and it was caused through a clot in my calf. So i hope you've gotten it checked out mate with what else is happening to you.

Hugs Terri xxx

Colleenc
03-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Terri, they are not from a clot. I have had many clots and this pain is different!!! I have suffered on and off for a while now. They are like a muscle spasms. They come and go on both legs!!

C

magistramarla
03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Colleen,
I agree - my muscle spasms are much the same. I've been describing them to docs for years and I've been tested for lots of stuff - ataxia, neurological problems, MS and muscle tests. Everything always come back as "normal". The latest neurologist told me that there is nothing wrong with my muscles and seemed to think that I was just looking for drugs.
Here's something interesting. SaySusie posted a long list of AI diseases. One caught my eye - called Stiff Man Syndrome. I researched it, and the symptoms really sound like what's going on with me. It tends to happen along with some AI diseases, especially Diabetes, which I don't have. I'm wondering if it might also happen with Lupus and/or Sjogrens. It's a rare syndrome, and docs don't seem to know much about it.
Hugs,
Marla

Colleenc
03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm going to look that up!!

Peridot20_Gem
03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Terri, they are not from a clot. I have had many clots and this pain is different!!! I have suffered on and off for a while now. They are like a muscle spasms. They come and go on both legs!!

CColleen,

I have pain down my legs and bad spasms at the back of my calfs and my toes as soft as it sounds twist one way and it's not an extreme cramp just something it's hard to get your toes out off but the way i read it made it sound more like clots, sorry mate.

It sounds like marla said either the lupus or sjogren's because as you know i have alot going on put they do reckon that sjogren's is playing heavy in my system at the moment and doing a right over powering with the Lupus, it's enough to drive you made. xxxx

SandyR
03-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I try to eat a banana at least every other day to keep my potassium leveled. Just an FYI - The daily recommended allowance for potassium is 2300mg. 1 medium sized banana has approx 400mg so 5 large bananas has you hitting your allowance without including all your other foods in your regular diet. Too much potassium is not good for you either and can lead to stomach upset, nausea, diarrhea, and kidney infections. Here's a partial list of the potassium content in different foods. http://www.drugs.com/cg/potassium-content-of-foods-list.html

Colleenc
03-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey Sandy,

That is what the doc is worried about me having to high of potassium. I have kidney and adrenal problems, that is why she is so hesitant on the supplements. Thanks for thoses list of foods. Some of them I didn't even know had potassium in them!!

Peridot20_Gem
03-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Colleen,
I will congratulateyou mate on eating the bananas, if i try they lodge and it dow half hurt.
I had an high potassium count about 4yrs back which affected my kidney's, now alot on the site do mention eating fruit and my hubby, yet when the potassium count came back the doctor said to me your eating to much fruit and i told him i never touch the stuff and i don't to this day, so it makes you wonder sometimes if the doctor's know what your on about.

How you been feeling otherwise colleen?? and i do hope you've had no more passing out mate. xxx

Colleenc
03-28-2011, 08:18 PM
The bananas make my tongue itchy!! So i'm going to try some of the other foods. I'm feeling OK Terri, Yes I'm still having the fainting, see doc in a few weeks for all the results. I have a bunch of test booked tomorrow, I have a high white blood count (it has been creeping up the last 2 weeks and now has jumped really high) so they want to see if they can figure out why!!

Colleenc
03-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Ok everyone I have been using the magnets for 4 nights now and I have not noticed a difference. Was I supposed to be using the ones off my fridge?? Or do they need to be stronger then that? Well I guess I'm back to trying other things!! )<:

Peridot20_Gem
03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
The bananas make my tongue itchy!! So i'm going to try some of the other foods. I'm feeling OK Terri, Yes I'm still having the fainting, see doc in a few weeks for all the results. I have a bunch of test booked tomorrow, I have a high white blood count (it has been creeping up the last 2 weeks and now has jumped really high) so they want to see if they can figure out why!!Hi Colleen,

Never heard of what bananas are doing to you, it just makes you wonder sometimes. I bet you will be glad to hear what's going on but usually with an high white blood cell count, it can be a number of things to trigger that off but there again i could be wrong but please keep we updated mate and colleen i've got some info here mate for you to read about the causes of high white blood cells. ~Hugs Terri xxx~

White Blood Cell Count (WBC Count)
White blood cell count, also known as Leukocyte count or WBC count, or White count.There are five main types of white blood cell counts: neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils.
A white blood cell (WBC) count is the number of white blood cells per volume of blood reported in thousands in a microliter or millions in a liter of blood.

Do you have a high white blood cell count? There are a variety of reasons for a high white blood cell count. A white blood cell count is high when leukocytes (white blood cells) are helping your body to fight an infection in your bodythere are more disease fighting cells in your body. A high white blood cell count is also called leukocytosis. But It is important to be aware that a high white blood cell count does not identify a specific problem...

Question: What causes a high white blood cell count?
What causes a high white blood cell count? I am worried because my doctor tells me my white blood cell count is too high.

In this article:
Causes of High White Blood Cell Count
Treatments for High White Blood Cell Count
Information related to the article "High white blood cell count"

Answer
We can explain to you the various possible causes of a high white blood cell (WBC) count, but you need to be investigated by your own doctor, who knows you, your medical history and can treat you appropriately only after a diagnosis has been made.

Causes of High White Blood Cell Count
White blood cells (leukocytes) help fight infection in your body. A normal white blood cell count

ADVERTISEMENT

is between 4,500 and 10,000 cells per microliter. A high white blood cell count (leukocytosis) isn't a specific disease. But it may indicate an underlying problem that requires medical evaluation. There are several possible causes for a high white blood cell count.
Causes of a high white blood cell count include: Infection - Severe physical or emotional stress - Use of certain medications, such as corticosteroids, antibiotics or anti-seizure drugs - Chronic bone marrow diseases such as a myeloproliferative disorder ( The chronic myeloproliferative disorders are polycythemia vera (PV), myelofibrosis (MF), essential thrombocythemia (ET), chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) ) - Acute or chronic leukemia - Tissue damage, such as from burns.

A Low-grade fever is not serious unless it becomes chronic with accompanying symptoms. The body uses this fever to fight infection, whether it be viral or bacterial. It is not necessary to treat a low-grade fever with medication. It is important to be aware, as mentioned above that a high white count does not identify a specific problem. Instead, it may indicate an underlying condition and should be evaluated by your doctor.

Treatments for High White Blood Cell Count
The treatment for leukocytosis, or a high white blood cell count, depends upon the cause. Only an investigation by your doctor can identify the appropriate treatment.

The tests performed to find the cause for an elevated white blood cell count will vary depending on the individual, his/her clinical presentation, and his/her medical history. Sometimes blood tests or an investigation of the medications an individual is taking may be enough to determine the cause. Individuals who present with symptoms or other abnormal laboratory tests that are concerning for a bone marrow disorder may require a bone marrow biopsy, a procedure used to remove soft tissue from inside the bone, for further analysis.

Colleenc
03-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you terri for that!! We still don't know what is causing it. I had some test done yesterday!!

As for the leg camps they have been really bad the last 48hrs. I should actually be calling them foot cramps cause thats where they are the worse!!! OH boy they sure do hurt!! I have to breath through them like I'm in labour again and having a contraction DAM!!! I don't think my banana eating is helping!

Peridot20_Gem
03-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Colleen, I added the info mate to give a rough idea of what may cause it but when do you get your results.

The leg cramps are bad and if your like me your actual calf gets pronounced into an outstanding hardness which you can see, my left leg is murdering me today again, mind you it's nothing unusual.
Colleen i also have the foot cramps but mainly of a morning and they're terrible they actually twist all my toes into one direction do you have that mate?? How you breath through them, i try rubbing them and my leg and if not i soon shout my hubby because i've noticed rubbing mine eases it quicker, yesterday morning it hit me on the loo.lol and he was soon shouted and what a place to start rubbing legs.

Well it's everyone to their own but i'm not a fruit eater but my hubby is and he's had me eat bananas to help and i've felt no difference but i've told him i can't have them with my gullet drying out with the sjogren's disease as i'm swallowing, the pieces are getting stuck and it's painful so that's been knocked on the head.

Let we know please how your results go and i'm touching wood for you mate hoping it's nothing to serious which they can deal with quickly to ease your pain and discomfort.

Terri xxx

Colleenc
04-06-2011, 08:02 PM
So I'm still getting them, but now I'm really wondering if they are worse because of the fracture in my pelvis and since I don't know when it happened I may not know if it the reason they have been worse over the last little while. Oh well I will just have to deal with them!!! )<:

Peridot20_Gem
04-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Colleen,

I've had this Lupus all my life and never experienced foot cramps before only while growing which kids have anyway, so i think the cramps are to do wit the Lupus because when i did my pelvis i never had these affects with it, just major pain like yourself in the spine but what's been helping mine is the plaquenil and it's lovely to have them eased abit more, i do have the odd days when they hit me more severe but i dow half shout my hubby to rub my legs.
I'll wait to hear about your results mate and all the very best. xxx

Kimberlee
04-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Colleen, Thanks for bringing up this issue! I also have terrible foot and leg cramps, and they seem to get worse when my lupus is more active. I find the best way to deal with them is to breathe deeply and do my best to focus on something else, even if I'm crying while doing it! I eat a banana every morning out of habit and notice when I skip that they become more prevalent. Now I know I might need even more potassium, and maybe some magnesium, too.

I also faced a serious adrenal crisis 4 years ago - it lasted for 8 months. I feel you. Hang in there.

Kimberlee

Colleenc
04-19-2011, 07:31 AM
8 months WOW!! I really hope it doesn't take that long for me to get over. Actually I think I pretty well over that, I just need to get my arrythmia in my heart fixed and let my pelvis heal. As for the foot cramps, thats what I do is just breath through them like I'm in Labour!!LOL

Linda From Australia
04-19-2011, 05:02 PM
OH OK, so now I get the idea that there is a benefit of going through all that labour pain. You get to use the same strategies when you have Lupus.

"Pant ... pant.... pant ... pant ... now PUSH THAT PAIN OUT!!!!"
What's wrong with me, that little (&**&^ ) of a pain won't leave? OK, new strategy needed!

Colleenc
04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
LOL!! Linda

Nonna
04-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Colleen, did you ever ask about a muscle relaxer? I take a low dose of one every night. It helps a lot

hugs
nonna

Colleenc
04-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Nonna,
I have some muscle relaxers here that I had for something else. When the cramps were really bad I was actually on them for the other problem. But I think I may try again. I had blood work last week and my potassium came up a bit ( I think the bananas are working)LOL. I really am wondering if they are a side effect of one of the meds I'm on and now they have just gone and added another one (with lots of side effects) for my heart arrythmia. I see my doc on Mon and will mention this again to her and in the mean time I will try the muscle relaxer...

C

Peridot20_Gem
04-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Colleen,

I am glad to hear the bananas are working mate, my hubby keeps telling me to have one a day but the things lodge on me.
I really sympathize with you with the muscle spasms they're a right pain and don't half hurt but i do hope the muscle relaxer helps in some way and best of luck seeing your doctor colleen.

Love Terri xxx

renacraw68
05-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I have also danced for 25 years.Instead of slippers I was wearing 9 1/2 inch heels! I was waundering was there any other tricks of the trade u suggest. I cannot wear flat shoes anymore. I think my foot is going to stay in a 90 degree angle for the rest of my life.Not only do my feet & calf's cramp at night ,they also cramp when. awarding float shoes. I wonder is there anyway a doctor could correct them. I hate the thought of correcting anything by surgery ,but if have to life w/this pain on top of everything else I would be willing!?!?